U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 12:28 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,782,821 times

Advertisements

Just saw it on Fox News a minute ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 06:03 PM

3,546 posts, read 4,661,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
And myrevenge is correct. The news outlets have a formula for deciding which of these stories to give attention to. The fact that the child's father has a sex offender background is what is keeping this story out of the limelight much more than her race. The stations pursue stories that could conceivably have dramatic, hopefully happy, endings or ones that have unusual features. The child of a known sex offender going missing is not something that gives them the hook they want.
Well, that may be true, but it still doesn't make it right. Any child (or adult for that matter) who is missing deserves to get equal attention. I would think the tarnished past of some of this girl's family members would give the national news networks even MORE reason to give this story attention ... after all, news reporters are usually more interested in cases that have some dirt or skeletons to them. They make their living on tragedy, in other words.

I don't think her race has anything to do with why there is not more attention, or for why she disappeared in the first place. That amounts to more empty allegations, and playing the worn out race card. I'm really not surprised at such mentality of certain people, however.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:31 PM

658 posts, read 1,774,152 times
First card dealt from the deck with some people.

It's not being televised because there's more to the story. Amber alerts aren't usually issued for family-member abductions, and the family history must be giving Glendale PD pause.

I got stuck in traffic on the way home from work on Friday; must be 'cause I'm black.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:15 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,170,870 times
What I want to know is why the hell was the Mother allowed to have the children back. I seriously doubt this sweet little pigtailed girl would not be missing today had she not been with Mother/Parents.

The Mother has been crying almost non stop, so it's reported. I wonder if that's remorse or if she is truly concerned for her child.

What the hell is going on in this world that all these sweet innocent little children are disappearing and so many being abused and murdered .
I just hope they find her alive and unharmed but I know after a week of missing that it's unlikely they will

http://www.kpho.com/story/15715904/child-protective-services-confirm-shockley-children-in-their-custody

Old 10-23-2011, 10:52 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,488,670 times
I was in Raleigh/Durham for a week and got back yesterday. I did see it on TV there and was sorry to learn she is still missing.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 AM

762 posts, read 518,861 times
So, this story has gotten national attention to a degree..that is comforting, to a degree. I too agree with those that have said that her parents history is what has kept this from going totally national. I firmly believe that in this day and age of blended families of all ages, gender and races that the child race has ANYTHING to do with this. It has been so long now..my heart is breaking for this little girl.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:47 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,568,411 times
Such a tragedy, what a cute little girl.

I hope and pray for her safe return and all the other missing children out there.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 PM

160 posts, read 130,958 times
Yo, i really hope she is found safe...

This world is cruel and crazy and she doesn't deserve to be harmed or put in any type of danger! I hope that the police continue to search for her, and that they pressure more media to make this story national just like they did what that whole baby Gabriel story that was on literally every other day!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,170,870 times
I know it's wishful thinking but I hope whoever took her did it to raise her as their own to love her, take good care of her, and most of all to get her away from the abuse she was subjected to.

It's sickening to see how any parent known for abusing/neglecting their children can all of a sudden play up worry and concern when the camera is on them. I just think this woman has remorse for quite possibly herself, for not really caring about her own daughter. I hope they do a thorough investigation into that whole family. I swear it's at the point now where all children need to be chipped and have all the chips linked in with the police and with access to the childs whereabouts on the internet. It might save a life or not but at least we can find them. Looking at her sweet little face I can see the dark circles under her eyes that no child so young should have. I could understand my haveing them and older people but such a young child? She looks like she didn't get enough sleep.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:27 PM

762 posts, read 518,861 times
To have all children chipped is certainly an extreme measure! It seems tho, that all summer long, every other day was a report of an attempted child abduction.. Not trying to raise anymore controversy just stating what I have noticed. I did see on the news that abduction avoidance training is being offered. Too late for Jhessye but if I still had young children at home I would be looking into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area