Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:12 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundworks3 View Post
S Chriss Webb & Ponderosa:

Thanks for the info on Marley Park, thats the feel I had when looking at the pictures, just had to ask since housing is so affordable there, but as most cases you get what you pay for, being a contractor myself, I'm VERY OCD on layouts and floor plans the rest I can work with, but if the "bones" aren't right its not worth getting into.

I'm definatly NOT wanting eastern style! That's where I'm coming from, even though the standard in most is the clay tile roofs etc... It's still what I like, I'm sick of the vinyl sided etc.. Etc... I see in Indiana. One of my biggest problems is yard size in Az. Communities, I have 3-dogs ALL at 100#'s which will be challenging for a rental, which is why I'm being so specific in homes & areas as I might just HAVE to buy a home so they can be with us, they are all inside dogs and let me tell you they live it up!
Look for a cul-de-sac lot. Even in the smaller lots you can get big lots on a CDS. Mine is over 16000 sf or 1/3 acre (too big actually) and is in a regular tract subdivision. There are custom lots 1/2 acre and up in Estrella too, but the lots and homes get pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:41 AM

39 posts, read 96,176 times
Ponderosa:

Thanks for THe info. I learned the CDS trick a while ago & that's approx. The size I've been finding they average 10000-16000sq ft and for that size include a pool, spa, patio & grilling area with a large "grass" area for the dogs to do their thing! LoL

Old 11-06-2011, 12:02 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundworks3 View Post
Ponderosa:

Thanks for THe info. I learned the CDS trick a while ago & that's approx. The size I've been finding they average 10000-16000sq ft and for that size include a pool, spa, patio & grilling area with a large "grass" area for the dogs to do their thing! LoL
The disadvantage, if any, is that you have a small front yard and potentially several different rear neighbors - some who may be 2 stories. No one does anything in front here so that is not a big deal. My back is on a desert preserve so I don't have anyone behind me. You can find lots like that here, but they don't stay on the market as rentals or sales as long as they are popular. You can buy new with desert or golf course CDS too. It used to be that those were gone instantly when developers opened them up. I don't know if that is still the case today. And if you buy new, you don't often know who/what is going to be next door/behind you. That great view could turn to rooftops in a couple years.

FYI: When you visit Estrella, go west on Elliot past the Estrella development a couple miles till you see a stop sign (Tuthill, I think). If you go south there for just a bit you will find a bunch of semi-custom homes on 1/2 acre lots that are not too terribly expensive. You would be able to build a shop/RV garage on most of them I think as I see that frequently. The homes are very nice, the neighborhood is rural. Biggest downside is the school there - Rainbow Valley leaves much to be desired. The high school though is the same as Estrella.

Another gem in the area that you might miss is when leaving Estrella, just past the golf course and before the river is an intersection with Vineyard Rod. Go east (right) there and follow it around the park boundary. When it turns left, look to the south. There are many homes tucked in the hills near there. It is a very cool out of the way place and I don't think there is any HOA.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 11-06-2011 at 12:13 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 03:37 PM

I could care less about the size of the front yard as I'm never there, I make'em pretty with lanscaping to accent the home, it's the "business" end of a home not the "party" area, I'll check out those other areas you mentioned also, but really just interested in mpc's at this time, I've even seen a couple homes in mpc's that have 4-car garages that would solve it all!

I'm very private at my home & extremely adement of NO homes looking over my back yard they are limited, but ARE around I'm finding, the + & - I have is I'm very specific of what I'm after + is I can weed through a lot of them, fast, - is I go through a lot to even find ones of interest, but
when I see it I'll know it's right.

Last edited by Groundworks3; 11-06-2011 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Add content

Old 11-06-2011, 04:14 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Estrella is 87 a month or very close to that. You have to keep in mind, too, that in the basic HOA with no amenities to speak of you have maybe a 30 dollar a month charge. So it's about 50 extra for the extras. In my case HOA is only 5% of my house payment. I have an automatic payment so I don't really notice it (or I might get mad).

There's a home finding center or some such silly name when you come into Estrella just past the light on the right. Stop there for details and freebies.
I drove out there and did a little exploring today, including the Info Center. Nice! That's a ton of stuff you get for $87/month!

It wasn't our "this is it" spot but if it appealed to my daughter more, I'd try it, I think. It's remote but what great values out there.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
When you visit Val Vista Lakes be sure to have your agent take you on a tour of the clubhouse facilities. If s/he isn't familiar with it, then ask at the front desk for a tour of the facility. The HOA dues are only $87.20/month and include the use of all the facilities. The dues have not been increased in 3 years, including for 2012.

In one of the 7 gated sub-community like the one I'm in there is a separate HOA fee. Ours is $58/mo and have been the same for 4 years with no increase for 2012. The 17 sub-communities that are not gated do not have a separate HOA fee.

Ponderosa lives in Estrella. Maybe he can get you a tour of their facilities.
I drove a little bit through VVL today, too. I like that active listing that backs Greenfield. Nice bath remodels! My daughter doesn't want to change schools unless we move somewhere really cool like CA or one of those waterfront lots in VVL. Heh. I'll work on her. VVL would be a nice location for us. I'm still curious of the religious environment there. The schools look highly rated. Not to highjack this thread!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Not highjacking at all it's all info relevant to this discussion, I'm just happy this post has stayed on track & not turned into an argument of "my place is better" or "thats not where you want to live" lots of good info, not just for me as the op, but for plenty of others maybe looking fir something a little different than we are looking for very informative from everyone so far!

Thanks again to all who have posted it has been very much appreciated!.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:00 PM

FYI for anyone else looking in this area I've found rental houses IN Estrella mountain, (3-bed/2-bath, large back fenced yards & 2-car garage) for $995/month which most apartments in the area are ranging from $565/mo for studio apartment to $655/ mo for 2-bed 1-bath or 3-bed 2-bath for $800/mo +, all w/o a garage.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I drove a little bit through VVL today, too. I like that active listing that backs Greenfield. Nice bath remodels! My daughter doesn't want to change schools unless we move somewhere really cool like CA or one of those waterfront lots in VVL. Heh. I'll work on her. VVL would be a nice location for us. I'm still curious of the religious environment there. The schools look highly rated. Not to highjack this thread!
There are two that back Greenfield. One in the gated sub-community of Voyager Cove, and another in Landings. Both are priced well for Val Vista Lakes.

I have a "pocket" listing that backs Greenfield but is priced higher than the other 2 backing Greenfield. We have a listing agreement, and a yard sign, but it is not on the mls until Feb when the buying season has begun. But we do advertise it by sign and on the internet.

My family is not Mormon. We've lived in Val Vista Lakes for 7 years, and have Mormon friends and friends of other religions. There are both Mormons and other religions on the Val Vista Lakes board of directors, and in every club within VVL. This is really a multi-generational community with people of all ages who get along based on the fact that people are people, and not based on their religion, race, nationality, or sexual preference.

You will normally never know who is Mormon and who is another religion, because religion is never discussed.

I suggest that you do not discuss the religious aspect with your Realtor because it is a violation of Fair Housing Act for anyone to discriminate on the basis of Religion, Nationality, Race, etc. Your Realtor cannot steer you to or from an area based on religion, and it is very risky for him/her to have that conversation with a client.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 AM

Thanks. One of the listings you saw is probably out of my price range.

I'm not looking for a certain religious make-up in a neighborhood, just enough diversity to keep the culture for the kids all-inclusive and non-recruiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area