Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:21 PM

7 posts, read 24,301 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I'm a New Member - so "Go easy on me, k?" I'm in my (cough-cough) late-40's, and my husband is in his mid-50's. So we are looking "toward" retirement - and always thinking in terms of "Is this a good investment?"

I've surfed through some of the existing posts and I'm getting *some* info, but I still don't have enough knowledge to make a decision!

I currently live in San Jose, CA. I am contemplating the purchase of a "second home" (and possible long-term "retirement home") - to escape our miserably soggy / pretty-darn-cold - winters. No, San Jose winters don't compare to Northern/East Coast winters (not by a longshot!), but I am a "Wimpy California Native." (Hubbie is from CT, so he's *quite* familiar with that "white stuff" - but I don't *do* snow!!!)

DH and I recently spent a long weekend in AZ and found the weather to be "most tolerable" (of course, it wasn't 125* while we were there!). We visited some friends of his in [an upscale part of] Chandler, AZ.

Naturally, I found myself surfing the MLS listings for the Phoenix surrounds, just to see what the Real Estate Market was like and, well, I found the whole AZ Thing to be "most appealing!" Grant you, I think winters are going to be a tad colder than I might like - but I'm hoping they aren't *quite* as damp and cold as what we get out here.

DH's friends (in Chandler) had recommended that we look into Casa Grande - but I think that might be a little *too* far away from civilization. Admittedly, we didn't have enough time (on our weekend sojourn) to drive down and check it out. Housing prices down there seem to be almost "frighteningly cheap."

I also found Apache Junction (by Google-Mapping). It doesn't seem "as far out" geographically. It still seems to be "on the fringes" of the greater Phoenix area, but not *too* removed. (Far enough out to avoid "Rush-Hour Gridlock" though!). And the prices seem *quite* reasonable!

My price-point for a "second (winter) home" / "possible retirement home" is in the $100-150K range ("Cash").

My "desires" are: To be away from Rush-Hour Gridlock, but close enough to civilization that I can easily buy Life's Necessities (groceries, Wal-Mart, Ikea, GOOD Coffee). I'd actually like to be "on the fringes" of Country Life (cows, chickens!). We are Harley Riders and like access to winding, hilly roads (without riding thru "Gridlock" to get there!). We also have a trailerable sailboat and would like relatively-easy-access to sailable lakes. I'd like to buy a "relatively new" (~10 yrs or less) house on a decent-sized lot (7,000-10,000 SF) so I can build an Artist's Studio out back. Boat-storage would be an absolute plus, too!

And - we are being "guardedly optimistic" that the Real Estate Market has - mostly - "Bottomed Out" and that whatever we buy *should* only go UP in value, as time goes by! (Not looking to "flip" - but not looking to lose our shirts, either!)

Lastly - I guess it goes without saying that I'd like it to be in a reasonably safe neighborhood (since the house will be vacant much of the time!).

I don't know if that's enough info to be able to "cast a vote" for one place or the other - but I'm curious to know whether either Casa Grande or Apache Junction might meet my needs (or if there are "other places" I should consider). I would be most interested in getting feedback from "Locals" - and MOST appreciative of any info!

Thanks!!!!

-Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:31 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,550,435 times
Try Ahwatukee. There are some houses in the $125,000 to $150,000 range west of 42nd street. I recommend north of Ray Road. Ikea is very close to that area. Morning commutes are much more sane than from starting in Casa Grande or Apache Junction!

As for considering a house an an investment...Don't. It's not.

I am a native of Fresno and I understand damp, grey, and cold (spent over 20 winters there). Well Phoenix in the winter is dry. Mornings can be downright cold (low 30s) and you need a space heater in the bathroom otherwise you will be very chilled when you open the shower curtain. I have problems with dry skin on the bottom of my feet. I have to remember to put lotion on my feet before I go to bed at night. Other than that, no ice, no snow. Winters are great in Arizona!

By the way, I'm an avid fitness swimmer and like the LA Fitness in Chandler at Dobson and Warner. It has a 5 lane indoor pool and is well ventilated. Houses in that area are even less expensive than in Ahwatukee. I could easily afford one in cash and buy another house in Flagstaff for the summers. But I am still working and I work mostly outside of Arizona.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:01 PM

7 posts, read 24,301 times
Thanks, Howard! I'll look into that :-)

Bonus: We don't actually have to concern ourselves with commuting - at all! Well, hubbie might because he needs to fly to Customer Sites fairly regularly (but we are retaining our SJ home for the foreseeable future). Although if he were to fly in to PHX for the weekend, we might need to get him "out" by Mon-Tues...

I have the Ultimate Telecommuting Gig so I don't have to report-in to an office (Yay!!!).

As far as our thoughts about PHX area Real Estate as an "investment" goes... We really aren't viewing this as "An Investment" (not expecting to MAKE money), but we are really hoping not to *lose* money on the deal. My thinking is: If we USE it in the winter months, and the property doesn't significantly DE-preciate ("holds steady"), then it's a "win!"

Anyway.... Thanks for your feedback! :-D

Old 10-23-2011, 08:22 PM

13 posts, read 31,127 times
IMO, I wouldnt go to Casa Grande or AJ. There both kinda bad communities

You may want to look at New River or Black Canyon City. They are nice rural communities with friendly people.

BTW, Black Canyon City has a restaurant that makes the best pies in the world!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:31 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,739,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitternsparkles View Post

You may want to look at New River or Black Canyon City. They are nice rural communities with friendly people.

Which are way to far if you need to commute on a regular basis to the airport. I what pick the Tempe/Chandler/Ahwatukee area. Has everything you need plus ikea and is near the airport for easy access. Casa Grande isnt a suburb of Phoenix and is about 65 miles for the Valley.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:28 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,318,246 times
OK - once again the generalizations without ANY supporting information. CG and AJ are BAD areas? Why, please provide specifics so I can see if I agree with them.

Also, according to Google Maps, from downtown CG to Downtown Phx is 48 miles - NOT 65 miles - big difference. Also, this is from downtown to downtown, and many of the homes in CG are 5 miles or more north of downtown, and many of the amenities people need to visit in the PHX metro do not require a trip all the way to downtown - the airport for example is not all the way downtown. I make it from my door in northern CG to Ahwatukee in 30 mins - the airport in 45.

SO, as always, please provide REASONS why you think someplace is bad...CG is a fully developed city with anything one could need including hospital, mall, big box stores, etc....is it the best city ever? Of course not, but it doesnt COST as much as Val Vista lakes or Scottsdale either.

There is a HUGE retirement community here (our population grows by 20K in the winters), lots of newer homes that are in fine shape....and because many people prefer not to make the commute those houses are now selling very cheaply.

But there is a lot on the horizon here in CG, and the crime is no worse than most places (the things you here about CG on the news are typically no where NEAR CG - but rather the dester areas 20 miles west of the city - but since this is the closest community, the news says CG).

Another big advantage that CG offers is that it is only an hour from TUCSON and all that direction offers (the OP said they were into art - and Tuscon has a HUGE art community), as well as a straight shot across I 8 to San Diego.

Unfortunately I cannot offer much about AJ as I ve only been there on occassion. It is slightly closer to downtown Phoenix, but the city itself doesnt have all the amenities CG has....but is pretty close to all the amenities of Queen Creek, Mesa, and Gilbert....

In the end, it often comes down to budget. Many people here will always be able to suggest nice places....but the price of housing is directly proportional to how close in you want to be....with the exception of the urban cores (Maryvale etc).

But, please dont fall for blanket statements that someplace is "great" or "bad" without supporting information. Also, you really need to visit for yourself since these things are often a personal choice.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:55 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,129,922 times
Quote:

These generalities are simply not true. While some people may have a negative opinion of Apache Junction, I've never heard anyone refer to Casa Grande as a "bad community."

Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 PM

19,361 posts, read 27,576,013 times
Quote:

As a long time valley resident, I would say this is totally BAD advice to someone moving from San Jose, ca. Both NR and BCC have their 'charms' but they are definately backwoods compared to what you are used to.

And BCC Cafe has some fine pies. I'm particularly fond of the strawberry rhubarb. But "best in the world"? Umm, glittern, you need to get out of town a bit more. . .

Old 10-24-2011, 01:03 AM

13 posts, read 31,127 times
Wow, why is everyone attacking my OPINION??????

Why are people insulting me?????

I didn't attack anyone's else's suggestions.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion and there is no need to insult one another.

Casa Grande has signs that say “active drug and human smuggling area." Google it.
AJ is meth city. Google AJ and meth and see what you come up with.
If you want to stay east I would go with Gold Canyon instead of AJ.
For west, go with Goodyear instead of Casa Grande.

Now here is what the OP said
"My "desires" are: To be away from Rush-Hour Gridlock, but close enough to civilization that I can easily buy Life's Necessities (groceries, Wal-Mart, Ikea, GOOD Coffee). I'd actually like to be "on the fringes" of Country Life (cows, chickens!). We are Harley Riders and like access to winding, hilly roads (without riding thru "Gridlock" to get there!). We also have a trailerable sailboat and would like relatively-easy-access to sailable lakes. I'd like to buy a "relatively new" (~10 yrs or less) house on a decent-sized lot (7,000-10,000 SF) so I can build an Artist's Studio out back. Boat-storage would be an absolute plus, too!"

New River and Black Canyon City has hills and scenic routes, and have the country life. A lot of bikers and horseriders live there. If they want to boat, they have immediate access to I-17. New River is only 5 minutes away from Anthem, which is a suburb with life's necessities. Black Canyon City is 15 minutes away from Anthem.

Last edited by glitternsparkles; 10-24-2011 at 02:14 AM..

Old 10-24-2011, 10:00 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,318,246 times
Glitter - noone wants to stifle your opinions - but those of us that have been here awhile have found that - opinions without substance (back up information) are rarely of help to those asking the questions.

Now, as for your "Casa Grande and Human Smuggling" signs" - as I said...those signs are AT LEAST 20 miles from the city of Casa Grande - the signs are along I-8 and in the desert area between CG and Gila Bend, which out here is a whole nuther world! There are NOT signs anywhere in town where people actually live. The news media etc just uses CG as the place they list since they need to give people some reference, rather than "in the wide open desert".

The OP also said they want to have most of the conveniences offered in a large city without being there....The only thing CG doesnt have that she listed is the IKEA, and it is right up the road in Tempe - about 40 mins.

Finally, although I have nothing against New River or BCC, being close to ANTHEM does not put you close to most things in civilization. Many feel that even Anthem ITSELF is too far, much less the towns you mentioned. Again, dont get me wrong, they arent bad places...just not what I interpreted the OP was looking for.

If your first post would have had even what you wrote in your follow up you wouldnt have rec'd so many posts refuting what you said, but with blanket statements thats what happens. I still would have disagreed with what you wrote (and I live here!), but at least we would have known WHY you said what you said.

Thanks for your participation though.....just trying to help you for the future. Think of it like this...if you were moving somewhere and posted here....wouldnt you want more information than "that area sucks"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area