Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 PM

48 posts, read 109,629 times

Advertisements

ok. I am 24 years old. have been married a month and we have a 3 month old child. We live in Worcester, Massachusetts and work about 30 minutes away. we work with autistic children. the thing is we work overnights. 9pm-8am 3 nights a week and 1am-8am one night. so its like tues at 1am through sat at 8am. we make about 14.50 and hour. not bad. my new job will not be overnights at all and similar in work

We pay 900 for rent at a 2 bedroom duplex on a busy street. its a small place....so we decided again that we would move to a 3 bedroom. so we decided to look at renting a house. The thing is our credit is horrible so we cannot get a loan. so we definitely need to rent. but for a 3 bedroom house we are looking at 1400 and up. something that we can't afford. but the thing is we want a house. so we said lets just move away.

so i applied to a few jobs in phoenix. One job looks very promising and i am flying out there sept 8th too look at places to rent and for my interview....

heres the catch...the job will most likely only pay 12.00 at the most to start. but at least we would be able to get a house. (or so it seems from rental sites such as craigslist) for 900-100 it looks like we can get a 3br 2ba house. thats what we want. that makes us happy. the whole weather thing isnt a big deal cuz we would work inside and can go to a pool whenever...

so the thing is do we take less money...to get a house out there. or live crappy around here? i love the fact that its different scenery. and a change of life. if we want to go to LA its near...or the grand canyon...or the beach in rocky point..

the thing is im just scared to do it. Im young and have a family. so that makes me scared to just move. i think that i will better our lives..i love the lil communities everywhere . it seems that we will be able to meet other young couples and he will grow up with some children as well. am i living in la la land? is this doable? am i just being immature and irrational?
another thing is i do not have my bachelors degree and around the boston area thats all that matters is that you have a degree. you cant survive around here without that.

so i ask you guys...help me before i destroy my family...

realitors fill free to contact me if you have housed to rent in the 700-1000 range 4 bedrooms in said areas....

Last edited by bumpylemon; 08-23-2007 at 10:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 10:16 PM

48 posts, read 216,051 times
It's a good thing that you're weighing your options. But ultimately no one on this forum can make the decision for you. I'm 23 and married, and I moved down here from Toronto. What I can tell you is that if we were living in Toronto, we would not be buying a house for another decade (bc well we wouldn't be able to afford it). But since we're down here we can afford a house. But my situation is different in that I don't have a baby. 12 dollars is okay, did they tell you how much you would make maybe after the probationary period? Have you looked at other jobs? You also have to factor in that some houses for rent maybe in undesirable neighborhoods... have you looked at where these houses are located? a rent to own option might be helpful if you find the house you eventually want to buy - and it is offered. I wish I can find something else to say to help you to decide. But you will find many mixed responses.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:26 PM

thanks alot for your response. ps I LOVE TORONTO. went up there for a redsox vs blue jays series. the neighborhoods im looking into are Glendale, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe, and possible queen creek. my wife is looking at other jobs. i love working with autistic kids. so thats something i would like to do. she on the other hand doesnt care what she does. they did say that their is yearly raises...they love me as a candidate because of where i work now. its very well known for being the best autistic school in the north east... i understand that i cant have this decision's made for me. but i need these opinions. i guess im just looking for people to say...ya i have done this and its ok. i just wanna know people just pack up and GOOOOOOO. lol

Old 08-23-2007, 10:31 PM

another thing.....can you tell me about the wildlife? i love animals and cant wait for a change of wildlife..

Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,351 times
Look before you leap...my Dad always told me.

Do more research then just a weekend fly out for interview.
Phoenix and Worcester are polar opposites. Completely different (Which has its plus and minus) 12.00 an hour? Moving cross country with a young family for 12...is that after taxes? Look at cost of living, groceries, health care, gas, etc etc not just real estate (rent) and house sizes. I like Phoenix...and I like the Northeast...for VERY different reasons. There are always surprises.....be careful...no Im sorry, just be cautious.Why Phoenix? How about the south? NC, SC, TN ? In my research I found those to be interesting choices for economical reasons.

The weather in Phoenix is a big deal, dont dismiss it as "we can just go to the pool" True, but there are another 23 hours in a day. Some people LOVE the heat...perhaps you, your new wife and child..(remember its 3 of ya now) will love it too.

Moving just to get a bigger house....hmmmm I cant argue that having extra space isnt nice, it is, but patience is key when you are just starting out. If you love Mass, just start working on youir credit, your young!! Make a plan, then move when you can afford it. That bad credit will follow you to Phoenix too...This forum is a good place to get good advise...some of it you may diagree with, some of it may be very opinionated, and some may be crap...just filter what you need and make good smart choices for your family.
Most people on this site have been in your shoes....

Good Luck

Old 08-23-2007, 10:39 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,351 times
Oh and btw, I have just packed and moved cross country...but I was flying solo. Loved the adventure...but made a mistake and come back home much poorer. There are many factors in a move, just do research and the more research, a false move can be disaster...or it may be the perfect move...Only you know. I wish you luck bumpy....

Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 PM

honestly we looked at the eastern seaboard...thats where we looked first...and honestly this is the place that offered me a job and has a good outlook...12 dollars before taxes, man now you got me really thinking..i guess i just want to be spontaneous. i dont know...i still have the idea in my head that if it doesnt work out to just come back home....

Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,620,191 times
quote: Relocating to Phoenix area....Here are my reasons. Am I wrong?

I moved here for pratically the same reasons you're asking, and I've never regretted it. Oh, that was 40 years ago and I've been happy since.

There are lots of good buys on homes here if you qualify with the new stiffer requirements.

As far as wild life, you may see ocassionally a coyote, or out in the outskirts a snake or rabbit. Up in the mountain areas you may see a deer or bear. There are 2 zoos here that are interesting, especially for children.

Most animals that you'll encounter here will be the 'humanoid' similiar to your area now.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:44 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpylemon View Post
another thing.....can you tell me about the wildlife? i love animals and cant wait for a change of wildlife..
You won't see any wildlife within the city limits, unless you drive out to the rural areas outside of Phoenix. You'll see plenty of coyotes, Javalina (wild pig) quail, desert doves, jackrabbits. You'll also see rattlesnakes, scorpions, lizards, and spiders. In some areas of Arizona you'll also see Gila monsters, but they are rare.

In the high country of Arizona, you'll see the usual antelered animals like whitetail, blacktail, and elk. You'll also see black bears in the higher elevations. We used to have more pronghorn and other deer in the desert elevations, but they've pretty much disappeared, thanks to poor wildlife management at the Arizona Game & Fish department.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:44 PM

I just have this safe idea in my head that if it all goes wrong to just go back home. i feel like there is no future here. i mean i hate overnights. HATE HATE HATE (even tho i am online all night like now doing this ahah) i cant find a job paying this much around here. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area