Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 02:32 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
there is a simple solution, if you want someone who runs perfectly on time, either find one through word of mouth (like the OP) or pay into a concierge doctor's practice. to the previous poster who repeated the solution of scheduling empty slots in the day, i already explained that. it's not financially feasible--im in primary care, not orthopedics. medicine is partly a business, but most ppl don't want it to be run like a business when it comes to their own feelings, their own pains, and their own illnesses. if it is a business, i really should have an egg timer in there. 95% of pts would be upset about an egg timer and it's not medically appropriate either because you cannot leave certain concerns till next time. you cannot have quality (ie a dr that listens and answers all your questions), efficiency in timing, and a normal cost (that's where concierge practices come in--pay $$$ and you will get efficiency and quality). i had a lady throw a fit (yelled at me literally) because i asked her to reschedule into an appt later in the same day because she had come in 30 min late. i explained that i would see her, but since it takes time, i didn't want all my other pts waiting. she said i was just in medicine to make money--yeah right. makes me so mad since i really go OUT OF MY WAY to help patients every single day. it's easy to get jaded in this field.
Most physicians wouldn't not allow a patient to rescehdule for the same day if they were 30 minutes late; they would make them reschedule for a different date. I've done the same and have seen patients in my lunch period (which is not a real lunch since I'm charting during that time). The fact that you did that means you are a pretty understanding and kind physician.

And what most of the respondents on this thread don't understand is that we physicians stay late too. My last patient is scheduled at 5:00 PM on my clinic days but do you think I'm done seeing my last patient at 5 PM? This impacts our lives as well. Do you think we enjoy staying late? But we do to ensure our patients are given their full visit and are not being cut off when they have multiple questions that need to be answered or procedures that need to be done.

Another thing that people may not be aware of is that we honor special requests and try to help our patients out as best we can. Case in point, I have a patient who had to fly to Iraq on short notice and needed a stress test and an evaluation; it usually takes 2-3 weeks to schedule someone for a stress test but I stayed late, had him come to the office and did it right then and there after my staff had left for the day. Doctors do this all the time but of course you don't hear our side of this issue. I'm sure you've seen last minute stragglers who called in and you stayed late by yourself to see them.

Quote:
i8:30 appt--pt is ready on time but seen at 8:55. scheduled "to have stitches removed". of course, the pt is 70 years old and has stitches on the scalp because she fell and hit her head, then went to the ER. sure i could just remove the stitches and send her along, but that would be irresponsible. why is this 70 year old lady falling? if i dont figure it out, the next time she falls it may be her hip and then that'll be the beginning of her end. her 15 min appt takes 30 min. done at 9:25am.
This happens to me ALL THE TIME. You can imagine as a cardiologist, I will get a patient for a follow-up visit and they are there just to get refills on their HTN meds. Then the patient tells me that one of them "works a little too well cuz i suddenly passed out without warning" No, I don't just give them a prescription and send them on their way. Or I'll get the "Yeah, everything is fine and I'm doing great except I get this weird crampy pain in my left chest every once in a while" Uh no, I don't say "Okay, well let me know if it happens again when I see you 6 months from now"

Last edited by azriverfan.; 11-02-2011 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Most physicians wouldn't not allow a patient to rescehdule for the same day if they were 30 minutes late; they would make them reschedule for a different date. I've done the same and have seen patients in my lunch period (which is not a real lunch since I'm charting during that time). The fact that you did that means you are a pretty understanding and kind physician.

And what most of the respondents on this thread don't understand is that we physicians stay late too. My last patient is scheduled at 5:00 PM on my clinic days but do you think I'm done seeing my last patient at 5 PM? This impacts our lives as well. Do you think we enjoy staying late? But we do to ensure our patients are given their full visit and are not being cut off when they have multiple questions that need to be answered or procedures that need to be done.

Another thing that people may not be aware of is that we honor special requests and try to help our patients out as best we can. Case in point, I have a patient who had to fly to Iraq on short notice and needed a stress test and an evaluation; it usually takes 2-3 weeks to schedule someone for a stress test but I stayed late, had him come to the office and did it right then and there after my staff had left for the day. Doctors do this all the time but of course you don't hear our side of this issue.
Nor would it matter if they did hear your side. Don't you know your crystal ball should have been tuned into the patient and you should have known that he needed to fly to Iraq (even though he didn't) and you should have planned your schedule so that he could have had his stress test during your regular hours with no disruption to your aforementioned schedule? Didn't you get the memo? After all, it's covered in Time Management 101.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Most physicians wouldn't not allow a patient to rescehdule for the same day if they were 30 minutes late; they would make them reschedule for a different date.
So you punish your patients that are late by making them come back a different day?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 PM

275 posts, read 836,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So you punish your patients that are late by making them come back a different day?
he says HE allows them to reschedule later that day and that makes him miss part of his lunch hour (because he's seeing them during his lunch). many drs will not have any slots left in the same day to reschedule.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Well I gotta tell you I've NEVER met a bad heart doc! Met many so-so family/general med docs who were either too lazy, busy,tired or just poor doctors, two very egotistical neurosurgeons with the bedside manner of a potato (but hands of gold) and while in AZ several not so good ER docs who thought my heart attacks were me trolling for pain meds.

I understand waits (to a point) especially if the doc I'm waiting for spends the time to deal with whatever my issues are that brought me there since I'm sure I'm adding to the wait of others due to ripple effect.
I've also found if all I need is a prescription, especially one I've had before I let them know when I make the appointment exactly what I'm looking for, sometimes it helps to talk to the particular doctor's nurse as they are the sergeants who gets things done. Many times it'll be waiting at the desk or pharmacy for me.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:32 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
he says HE allows them to reschedule later that day and that makes him miss part of his lunch hour (because he's seeing them during his lunch). many drs will not have any slots left in the same day to reschedule.
That's not what I read. Let's look at it again.

Quote:
This sounds punitive to me. "Won't allow" isn't the same as "might not be able to", in my book. Of course he's free to clarify what he meant, but your interpretation doesn't fit the words he used.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 AM

255 posts, read 514,231 times
Quote:
Patients should respect doctors' time, and vice versa. Maybe the doctor is booked to the tilt? If you are going to be late, at least a courtesy call - not that it would make a difference from the counterparty's point of view.

Patients should also apologize if late for over 15 minutes (now you can't blame traffic, bathroom breaks, etc), and accept the possibility of not being seen that day.

But in this day and age, apologies are probably out of vogue.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,405 times
Quote:
Most physicians wouldn't not allow a patient to rescehdule
Well, the double negative means "most physicians WOULD ALLOW a patient to reschedule for the same day", but that doesn't fit with "they would make them reschedule for a different date". And "I've done the same" and mentioning scheduling during his/her lunch makes it even more unclear. I can't tell what that post means.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:21 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Quote:
That's not what I read. Let's look at it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan.
Quote:
quote=kdog...This sounds punitive to me. "Won't allow" isn't the same as "might not be able to", in my book. Of course he's free to clarify what he meant, but your interpretation doesn't fit the words he used.
This sounds punitive to me. "Won't allow" isn't the same as "might not be able to", in my book. Of course he's free to clarify what he meant, but your interpretation doesn't fit the words he used.
As a point of clarification, one needs to read the entire phrase "wouldn't not allow".

A different wording such as "most would allow" may have been more clear, but what I read is he's actually saying most would be opposed to not allowing.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:31 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Perhaps you ought to wait until azriverfan comes back to clarify, rather than have an extended discussion of what you all think he meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area