U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:33 PM

83 posts, read 106,756 times
Default Racism in Phoenix

My husband and I just came back from Phoenix and we thought is was very beautiful and loved the weather. We where looking around different neighborhoods such as Glendale, Chandler because we are thinking of relocating and they where beautiful and a lot of nice people. Also much cleaner then any city on the East Coast. We where there a week and things where not brought to our attention until the third day. A few people we spoke to said there is still a lot of racism in AZ due to the lack of Black people in AZ, and that interracial couples are not accepted in PHX. We where also getting on the plane and met a lady that said "Oh you are moving here, well you will not be to accepted here in AZ" I am black and my husband is white. I know there is racism everywhere but for the few days we where there to have a few people tell us it will be a problem really does concern me and for my children. Can I have some true and honest feedback on the racism against Blacks or interracial dating or children in the Phoenix area. Thank you

Last edited by Jazzjazz07; 11-02-2011 at 02:32 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 01:44 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,456,244 times
Just look on the brightside - if you did actually visit at least you didn't get kidnapped or fall victim to one of those lazy mexican gangs.............

Also, I'm shocked that people would take time to either talk to your or make unsolicited comments and try to be helpful because we are a very rude city

Or, if you really wanted to get the opinion of people on this forum to interacial couples you could go back and reference the thread that you already started on this topic.................

Interacial Couples in Phoenix

You may not find phoenix to your liking .... with the lack of rivers & water we really don't have too many bridges which can create a lack of natural habitat for trolls or provide adequete opportunity to go out trolling on a boat

Old 11-02-2011, 01:47 PM

16,882 posts, read 19,959,238 times
Yep. Been beat to death already. Plenty of good info in that link. Why not start a "home prices are falling in Phoenix" thread. No one ever trolls one of those.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:49 PM

3,293 posts, read 3,237,629 times
Did you not have all your questions answered on this topic last month?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21253441-post82.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/20923889-post1.html

Old 11-02-2011, 01:50 PM

625 posts, read 464,356 times
I've not heard/seen any racism regarding blacks out here. If I do hear about it, it's towards the Mexicans. AZ has way more races than northern CA, and I remember growing up knowing like, one black person, in Nor Cal. Either way, i don't think racism would be a serious issue if you moved here. People might stereotype, but that's not exactly racism.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:04 PM

741 posts, read 577,015 times
I grew up here and trust me, there is no inter-racial racism here! My high school homecoming king and queen were an interracial couple!! Our class President was black and the most popular kid in school...I didn't know what racism was until I moved out and moved around the country!! I'm glad that I'm back home in AZ for good

Old 11-02-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Just look on the brightside - if you did actually visit at least you didn't get kidnapped or fall victim to one of those lazy mexican gangs.............

Also, I'm shocked that people would take time to either talk to your or make unsolicited comments and try to be helpful because we are a very rude city

Or, if you really wanted to get the opinion of people on this forum to interacial couples you could go back and reference the thread that you already started on this topic.................

Interacial Couples in Phoenix

You may not find phoenix to your liking .... with the lack of rivers & water we really don't have too many bridges which can create a lack of natural habitat for trolls or provide adequete opportunity to go out trolling on a boat
Why do you bother to response if you are going to be rude.
Just to set the record straight. The city itself was very beautiful and the areas where great. We talked to a lot of very nice people but a few where trying to be nice and warned us and it was just a little alarming. We met a lot of nice people but they said they where just telling us about a view problems we might run into. You need to really get a better hobby then to sit up there and response with non-sense.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Did you not have all your questions answered on this topic last month?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21253441-post82.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/20923889-post1.html
That was before I came out there and we feel in love with the areas and thought people where really nice and it was beautiful out there and just wanted a little more feedback about what a few people warned us about. We met a lot of nice people but some of them told us we might need to be careful and I was just concerned about that and wanted more information since we actually came out and visted. That is all.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:13 PM

9,027 posts, read 9,595,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzjazz07 View Post
My husband and I just came back from Phoenix and we thought is was very beautiful and loved the weather. We where looking around different neighborhoods such as Glendale, Chandler because we are thinking of relocating. We where there a week and things where not brought to our attention until the third day. People we spoke to said there is still a lot of racism in AZ due to the lack of Black people in AZ, and that interracial couples are not accepted in PHX. We where also getting on the plane and met a lady that said "Oh you are moving here, well you will not be to accepted here in AZ" I am black and my husband is white. I know there is racism everywhere but for the few days we where there to have a few people tell us it will be a problem really does concern me and for my children. Can I have some true and honest feedback on the racism against Blacks or interracial dating or children in the Phoenix area. Thank you
It's true there are not a lot of African Americans but there are a ton of interracial relationships and it's not an issue. Arizona may be conservative but it's not the South. It was not a member of the confederacy nor did it have a history of slaves and agricultural economy based on slave labor. Therefore you don't have a history of strained race relations like you do in many states where whites would be embarrassed to be seen holding hands with a Black person in public. I don't want to be rude but your friend is simply wrong and nothing could be further from the truth.

EDIT: I just saw Kim's response above and forgot you are the guy who asks all these negative questions about the Phoenix area because "that is what you heard" I forgot that people have become increasingly clever in how they troll Phoenix. Now that we have mods, you can't just openly trash the Valley on this forum any longer so I suppose the next best thing is to ask these types of questions instead.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:17 PM

6,066 posts, read 8,158,885 times
We see inter-racial couples at restaurants and other places all the time, along with inter-nationality couples such as my wife and I, and I have never seen any indication of racism.

An inter-racial couple with children were our neighbors before selling their home to relocate, and they were great neighbors. The community has families of other nationalities, both European and Asian, and everyone gets along fine, and all the kids play together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area