Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:22 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
I don't get why people get so defensive about Phoenix. I'm a native and it doesn't take a genius to realize how vastly superior cities like Boston, SF, NYC, Chicago, Portland, Seattle and DC are. If you are young and looking for a fun, cosmopolitan and exciting city, Phoenix is NOT the place to be. Conversely, if you are ready to settle down with a family and a stable career, Phoenix may suit you just fine.
I've been saying that for months!
And your are right: people from Phoenix get awfully defensive about it for some reason. Perhaps they havent lived anywhere else and dont know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 06:29 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I've been saying that for months!
And your are right: people from Phoenix get awfully defensive about it for some reason. Perhaps they havent lived anywhere else and dont know?
I've lived elsewhere but I also know that people who don't fit in here in terms of appearance and money get defensive and have to bash it.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:41 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Phoenix and Scottsdale have amazing nightlife, not sure what vegas drunk was talking about. Maybe some people weren't allowed into some of the clubs in Scottsdale/Phoenix and find it easier to get into one of those really cool, and "ritzy" clubs on the strip at 6am when most of the people are gone.

Couple that with the fact that crime is much lower in Phoenix compared to Vegas and there you have it. I'd hardly call the murder capital of the U.S. as a great place to visit, much less live.
My response to this....

goodyear az or henderson nv

Old 07-12-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The nightlife in Phoenix isn't for everyone. It's a very elite sort of night life. Even Tempe's bar scene would be comparable to most city's high end nighlife. There are not a lot of cheap dive bars here and for some people that's a big problem. It's a very metrosexual type of scene and that isn't for everyone. People dress up here and spend money to go out. Honestly, aside from South Beach, I haven't seen a better looking group of people going out anywhere in the country. People who don't fit in that mold don't like the night life here and get bored. People who fit in that scene love the nightlife here and are not posting on Citydata because they are having too much fun to waste on here hence you don't really hear from them. You don't have the grungy or dirty yet unique scenes you have on the East coast or even in places like San Diego where you don't pay cover and you can be out of shape and wear goth and see live music and buy cheap drinks. That's just not the scene here and thus for some people, the night life is weak. However, if you prefer the more elite Hamptons-like nightlife, Phoenix offers that. I know young people in medicine who would rather attend residency here than in California and the East Coast because our night life is very different than what they are used to. Yes, there isn't a plethora of bars and clubs but the difference is whatever bars or clubs that exist here are pretty high end. I know that if I was female, I would be intimidated if I went to Scottsdale on a Saturday night because nearly woman looks like a model. You just don't find that in Boston, Chicago SF etc in which there is a more normal demographic of ordinary people going out.
When I was younger, and lived in Phoenix, I used to hit up the nightclubs every week. I used to frequent Midnight Rodeo, Hurricane Bay, Bobby Mcgees, and the Club 411 in Tempe. I never experienced any of what you are saying in any of these clubs. However, I do remember going once to a place called Jets and Stixx, and another called Axis/ Radius, and it was exactly how you are describing. Needless to say, I do not fit into that scene so I did not stay long at either one of those places. I plan on coming up to Phoenix within the next couple months to visit my friends. You have me kind of worried now. Are there any normal middle of the road clubs left? I am pretty sure all of the clubs I frequented in the past are closed down by now. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:56 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
So, what is there to do in San Diego or NorCal that you didn't find in Phoenix? If your only response is the beach, then really??? Should of thought of that before you moved here.
better, more tolerable weather, more free things to do, yes even the beach, but in norcal beaches aren't for swimming anyways. As long as you don't live in the urban centers of the city, parking isn't bad either. In S.F. you have a bunch of festivals, fishermans warf, hiking, fishing, wine tasting that are free or dirt cheap to do (though not sure of price for wine tasting). Same in so cal, they even have a fishermans warf in redondo beach. LA has some free museums (the getty center which is beautiful!), parks, etc, lots of culture too. I can't think of anything free in Pheonix, although the salt river is cheap so that's a plus.

also, the clubs in LA are just as fancy, if not fancier than the ones in Scottsdale, with no cover charge. They make up for that with their expensive drinks. In scottsdale, its cover charge and expensive drinks. Tempe's mill Ave reminds me of 4th ave. in Tucson, just slightly cleaner and with slightly classier people.

I'm not saying pheonix is a bad place. People are extremely nice and friendly overall. There's lots of indian culture and desert culture, as well as the mexican culture. There's art, there's events, concerts, sports, definitely all that a "city" has to offer and there's more to do, but very few free things to do. Scottsdale is beautiful yet affordable to live in and is the most "cosmopolitan" as it gets in the desert. The weather is impossible, at least in Tucson we get more monsoon rains. As someone else said, education in AZ is just really bad, almost as bad as Florida. but just like anywhere, there are good and bad schools, so unless you have kids, I wouldn't worry about it.

Overall, if a cheaper place with decent things to do if you can afford to spend lots of money on food and fun, with super hot weather 6 months a year is for you, then go for it! Its a really comfortable place once you can get past the heat.

I hope that helped any prospective Phoenix area resident .

Old 07-12-2009, 10:25 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
better, more tolerable weather, more free things to do, yes even the beach, but in norcal beaches aren't for swimming anyways. As long as you don't live in the urban centers of the city, parking isn't bad either. In S.F. you have a bunch of festivals, fishermans warf, hiking, fishing, wine tasting that are free or dirt cheap to do (though not sure of price for wine tasting). Same in so cal, they even have a fishermans warf in redondo beach. LA has some free museums (the getty center which is beautiful!), parks, etc, lots of culture too. I can't think of anything free in Pheonix, although the salt river is cheap so that's a plus.

also, the clubs in LA are just as fancy, if not fancier than the ones in Scottsdale, with no cover charge. They make up for that with their expensive drinks. In scottsdale, its cover charge and expensive drinks. Tempe's mill Ave reminds me of 4th ave. in Tucson, just slightly cleaner and with slightly classier people.

I'm not saying pheonix is a bad place. People are extremely nice and friendly overall. There's lots of indian culture and desert culture, as well as the mexican culture. There's art, there's events, concerts, sports, definitely all that a "city" has to offer and there's more to do, but very few free things to do. Scottsdale is beautiful yet affordable to live in and is the most "cosmopolitan" as it gets in the desert. The weather is impossible, at least in Tucson we get more monsoon rains. As someone else said, education in AZ is just really bad, almost as bad as Florida. but just like anywhere, there are good and bad schools, so unless you have kids, I wouldn't worry about it.

Overall, if a cheaper place with decent things to do if you can afford to spend lots of money on food and fun, with super hot weather 6 months a year is for you, then go for it! Its a really comfortable place once you can get past the heat.

I hope that helped any prospective Phoenix area resident .
Everything you listed is available in great quantity in Phoenix. Did my undergrad at USC and first grad at Columbia so I know about different city living. Pick up an issue of metro mix, echo, new times, red, etc. and read up on what there is to do in the city. Plenty of museums, "discounts" at clubs (although rare because of their popularity and prominence), tons of parks, great water parks, and to me the weather is only hot 3 months out of the year and not 6; that is a matter of opinion. Clubs in Phoenix and Scottsdale are often nicer, less pretentious, less expensive (almost ALWAYS), and bigger compared to L.A. clubs. Are you kidding, they charge a fortune to get in and then the drinks are ridiculous. Not sure what L.A. you lived in or are talking about, but I'm talking about the one in California.

I'm 28 and keep myself busy at clubs/museums, cultural festivities every weekend. Granted I live downtown so I intuitively know of the places to go and am very close, not requiring a car, etc. so it works for me. Like I said, I know many people who first move to Phoenix, complain about lack of this or that, but live in a suburb 20 or 30 miles from the center and cultural center of the city and metro area. Then they get smart and move to where they are in the middle of it all. Education is NOT bad in Arizona, what is bad is "per pupil spending." This is different from poorly educated students. In that category, Arizona students rank higher in standardized testing, ACT/SAT scoring compared to the rest of the nation. Metro Phoenix and Tucson also have a plethora of nationally ranked public high schools. Don't spout things as "facts" if you don't know the difference between myths and reality.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:07 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
When I was younger, and lived in Phoenix, I used to hit up the nightclubs every week. I used to frequent Midnight Rodeo, Hurricane Bay, Bobby Mcgees, and the Club 411 in Tempe. I never experienced any of what you are saying in any of these clubs. However, I do remember going once to a place called Jets and Stixx, and another called Axis/ Radius, and it was exactly how you are describing. Needless to say, I do not fit into that scene so I did not stay long at either one of those places. I plan on coming up to Phoenix within the next couple months to visit my friends. You have me kind of worried now. Are there any normal middle of the road clubs left? I am pretty sure all of the clubs I frequented in the past are closed down by now. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
No offense, but those clubs you mentiond are known to be cheap and trashy (except Axis/Radius). It would be like someone describing hotels in Vegas by alluding to the Golden Nugget. You seem like a nice person but honestly, if someone mentions Bobby McGees and Midnight Rodeo and act like they know the clubs in Phoenix, it really doesn't speak well of their knowledge of the nightlife here. There are so many nicer establishments like the W's reserved patio section, Dirty Pretty, the Pussycat Lounge, Suede, Mist, Devil's Martini I and II, Jackrabitt, Six...I could go on. Then there are so many bars and restaurants that are essentially lounges like Elements. But again, if you are into the Bobby McGee scene, this place isn't ideal for you.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-13-2009 at 02:19 AM..

Old 07-13-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
No offense, but those clubs you mentiond are known to be cheap and trashy (except Axis/Radius). It would be like someone describing hotels in Vegas by alluding to the Golden Nugget. You seem like a nice person but honestly, if someone mentions Bobby McGees and Midnight Rodeo and act like they know the clubs in Phoenix, it really doesn't speak well of their knowledge of the nightlife here. There are so many nicer establishments like the W's reserved patio section, Dirty Pretty, the Pussycat Lounge, Suede, Mist, Devil's Martini I and II, Jackrabitt, Six...I could go on. Then there are so many bars and restaurants that are essentially lounges like Elements. But again, if you are into the Bobby McGee scene, this place isn't ideal for you.
Very true, despite the multi million dollar facelift of Hurricane Bay, not somewhere I would go to more than once. However, Barcelona, Red Bar, Forbidden (gay), BS West (gay), and the much more casual Salty Senorita, Shaker Room, and Crown Room are places I oblige friends with and go when not downtown.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:

No offense taken, I appreciate the recommendations. Most of those I have not even heard of, so they are probably relatively new. I will look them up on the internet and check them out.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
No offense taken, I appreciate the recommendations. Most of those I have not even heard of, so they are probably relatively new. I will look them up on the internet and check them out.
Axis/Radius is a club that has been around since the 90's and used to be on a nation wide late night "show" that they would show in clubs around the country and on national television on the WB, or Fox or one of those channels (I remember high school parties at people's houses would have it playing in the background). There was a "bi-coastal" party with clubs in New York and Phoenix where the show would be in both clubs. It died when the producer died.

However, Axis/Radius is really two night clubs connected with a glass-catwalk that can be seen from outside and the street. Thousands patronize the club on weekends and weekday nights and has been written about in the NY Times and in magazines world wide. Six and some of the other clubs have been around for years, circa 2002 for some of the earliest, other clubs to make national mags and papers are Red, E4, Forbidden, Devil's, and Sugar Daddy's to name a few. Sugar Daddy's was in the news for a Mike Tyson incident as well, LOL! He was arrested and charged with cocaine possession while leaving the parking lot of the club. The bouncers told him he couldn't park in their lot because it was full, LOL, they told this to Tyson.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 07-13-2009 at 03:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area