Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:05 AM

20 posts, read 64,034 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old recent college graduate who is considering moving to Phoenix because from research it's a "city," growing tons and offers great career opportunities. Without much experience in a "big city." like NYC, San Fran, LA, Boston etc... I'm afraid I might have this unrealistic expectation about them. College was the best times of my life with many friends and late nights out. I anticipate that Phoenix might be a nice balance - not the fast-paced brutality of NYC, but big enough to meet young professionals like myself??

My priorities right now are being young with adult responsibilities. Yet I am single, ready to meet friends, go on dates - interested in nightlife, entertainment, social scenes. Is there anyone who has lived in a traditional big city AND Phoenix and can offer any advice between the 2 on if I'm expecting too much "Sex & The City" with NYC/Chicago?? And is Phoenix not really what I'm looking for? As of now, I'm with no familial, friend or significant other obligations (aka ALL ALONE), seeking entry-level jobs w/ a bachelors degree (income?)

Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 03:05 AM

253 posts, read 376,347 times
I'm from the NYC area, lived in Phoenix for 7 years, and am now in Southern California.

To answer your question - Phoenix is *NOT* a real city environment. It's a mass of housing developments and suburbs sprawled across a valley nearly the size of the state of Massachusetts.

Yes, you're expecting way too much of Phoenix if you're thinking "Sex and the City" or NYC/Chicago.

Last edited by SpeedyAZ; 08-26-2007 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Trolling

Old 08-26-2007, 12:24 PM

48 posts, read 216,011 times
I agree with nevercoldcall. I'm originally from Toronto, and Phoenix isn't anything like one of those "big" cities. But I don't agree with the, not a good place to meet young professionals. I'll be graduating with my bachelors next spring and have been able to get my foot in the door working for a college. I have noticed that it is easier to move up the ladder in Phoenix without education but I see this phenomenon happen primarily to people who can learn and excel quickly. I think it will be difficult for you to adjust if you're coming here alone because the city is so scattered.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:44 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,787 times
Obviously salaries will be higher in NYC or Chicago b/c cost of living is higher. So you'll need to consider that when comparing salaries. As well, your job opportunities will vary depending on your field. For example, finance options will be more prevelant in NYC or Chicago. If you're in a field that you can find a job anywhere, then you just need to decide what kind of lifestyle you want and go from there.

Phoenix is nowhere near the SATC lifestyle that NYC, etc. would be. You really can't even compare them. And it's definitly not the fast paced, brutal atmosphere of other large cities which could either be good or bad, depending on your personality. Someone who loves the vibe of NYC will likely not like Phoenix, IMO. I've spent a lot of time in many big cities nationwide and I think, if I were a young professional who could live anywhere, I would not choose Phoenix b/c it's not as exciting as other cities. Also, I personally like the option of doing beach road trips on the weekends and that's easier done somewhere like NYC, Boston, DC, Philly, etc. It's a good 6 hour drive to San Diego from here. And it's also fun to roadtrip to other large cities on weekends, which isn't really possible here. Of course you can always fly, I guess.

It really depends on you though and what you enjoy doing for fun and where you can find a job. There are many positives to the Phoenix area, and we've really liked living here. But we're at a different stage in life then you are. I'd recommend making a few visits out here and also visit any other city you're considering at least a few times before you decide. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2007, 12:52 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
If I were you I'd look into Chicago any day over Phoenix. Chicago IS a real big city that has so much to offer. If you want that big city feel, go there.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:04 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
As a former Phoenix resident who moved from the East Coast with a similar mindset several years ago, I too would question your choice of Phoenix. As I have said before, Phoenix is really a place for retirees or people close to retirement. It is not a place for young, educated professionals.

I would look into a city like DC, Chicago, or Boston. All would give you the excitement of lots of young, educated people striving to succeed but you can also live in unique neighborhoods with a real sense of community (local grocers, local pubs and restaurants, local coffee shops, etc). It makes the big city experience much more communal and less intimidating.

Phoenix is really more of a city where people buy larger homes on the edge and drive everywhere for everything. You local grocery store won't be a mom and pop store but a huge Safeway in a strip mall. Your local restaurants will be chains. Phoenix is suburbia which may appeal to some certainly, but it doesn't necessarily lend itself to a young professionals' lifestyle...at least in my mind.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:24 PM

20 posts, read 64,034 times
Thanks everyone for your help, I appreciate it!!

Old 08-26-2007, 04:38 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,025 times
There are plenty of young, single professionals in the Phoenix area out having fun. The snowbirds, retirees, and suburban families are not the ones keeping the Scottsdale club scene going!

Phoenix may be just the type of place you're looking for. Unless you are, in fact, looking for the big city lifestyle of NYC or Chicago. In that case, you'd have to go to NYC or Chicago.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:02 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,224 times
jmx is correct. there is a large young vibe in scottsdale and tempe and then there are a lot of young families here as well, not just retirees and snowbirds. but grad88 you MUST consider the desert environment in your choice of a new place to live. you will either like it or hate it. the desert is very unique. the best time to visit is in june or july to see if you can take the heat.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:40 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMX View Post
There are plenty of young, single professionals in the Phoenix area out having fun. The snowbirds, retirees, and suburban families are not the ones keeping the Scottsdale club scene going!

Phoenix may be just the type of place you're looking for. Unless you are, in fact, looking for the big city lifestyle of NYC or Chicago. In that case, you'd have to go to NYC or Chicago.
I agree. While it's NYC or Chicago,and what city is for that matter, PHX still has a lot to offer young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area