Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:12 PM

84 posts, read 222,986 times

Advertisements

Hi there Phoenicians

I am looking to relocate from the DC area and realize Phoenix is not really "walkable", but I would like to find an area that I can walk to get breakfast, some groceries and to a local watering hole or 2.

I stayed in the Biltmore area on my last visit. There was a mall and TJoes was not too far away. But,it just didn't feel like a neighborhood where people bike or walk.

Any little pockets you can suggest we visit on our next trip?
I am married and in my 40's (so not looking for a single nightlife scene) we are not going to worry about cost just yet.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,887,407 times
There really aren't that many choices...downtown Phoenix or Mill Ave are about it, though Mill Ave is a college singles nightlife type of scene so it doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:25 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,117,985 times
Old Town Scottsdale is a nice walk.

If you literally just need walking distance to those few things you listed, you could just move near any intersection with a big retail center. They're all over in the city and 'burbs. But yeah, it's not a walking city due to how spread out things are.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:41 PM

We did look at downtown a bit. We liked the arts district , I think it has potential. Too bad downtown is so dead at night.

We only spent an afternoon in Scottsdale. I was hoping there was a locals area off the beaten path that we could check out.

Have not looked in Chandler or Glendale or those outlying areas.
We are medical professionals so we are looking near the major hospitals at this point.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 PM

OK
I just typed in "walkable" in the search this forum area.
Very helpful.
Thanks for your replies!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,199 times
can u tell me something about the downtown i notice there are some loft bldgs and it seems that the symphony bldg has some wonderful performances. can one walk at night from wherever they live to the symphony bldg and feel that they are safe. thanks.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 PM

932 posts, read 1,955,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suezy View Post
can u tell me something about the downtown i notice there are some loft bldgs and it seems that the symphony bldg has some wonderful performances. can one walk at night from wherever they live to the symphony bldg and feel that they are safe. thanks.
It depends on where they live.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:44 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,887,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suezy View Post
If you live between 7th Ave and 7th St and north of Jackson you're good.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:46 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,176,021 times
Default Phoenix Historic Districts map

Hi -
Many of the historic districts are located in walkable locations; several are also in close proximity to major hospitals. In fact you could most likely walk to work if you lived in a few of these neighborhoods. Here is a link to the Phoenix Historic Districts map:
Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Historic Preservation Office - Residential Historic Districts

Old 11-11-2011, 10:35 PM

201 posts, read 608,643 times
This should help. Phoenix, Arizona Neighborhoods on Walk Score
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area