Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Google the Pueblo Grande Museum Indian Market . (Think they have a web site.) This is THE best show for great prices on all types of Indian jewelry and crafts. You'll buy direct from the artisans. Sellers come from all over the Southwest. This year's sale is December 10 and 11. If your schedule is flexible and you are serious about wanting real Indian jewelry at the best prices possible, this show is worth changing plans for. It's that good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 02:52 AM

116 posts, read 227,935 times
Thanks for the specific info DewDropInn I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Google the Pueblo Grande Museum Indian Market . (Think they have a web site.) This is THE best show for great prices on all types of Indian jewelry and crafts. You'll buy direct from the artisans. Sellers come from all over the Southwest. This year's sale is December 10 and 11. If your schedule is flexible and you are serious about wanting real Indian jewelry at the best prices possible, this show is worth changing plans for. It's that good!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 AM

160 posts, read 374,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I just spent two days near there last week for a conference. Never had a problem, been spending time in that area off and on over the last 20 years. When was the last time you were in the Metrocenter area? Moderator cut: snip
Just a few weeks ago for work, I had to deliver some items to the area. I used to live in the area and know first had how bad the area is, especially around the mall.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:28 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
I would not select that area to stay in if I was exploring different areas of the Valley looking for a potential retirement home. It's not particularly centrally located, and there's nothing of particular interest (including desert worth exploring) in that area. If you are going to be looking in Scottsdale, the desert north of Scottsdale is better for exploring.

It's not a safety issue so much as just not the area I would pick... I would go with something more centrally located.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJ0SH View Post
Just a few weeks ago for work, I had to deliver some items to the area. I used to live in the area and know first had how bad the area is, especially around the mall.
Obviously you made it out alive, how many people did you have to kill to escape unharmed?

Old 11-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Obviously you made it out alive, how many people did you have to kill to escape unharmed?
Not talking about violent crimes, it's theft and drug related crimes. There have been nights where over 100+ cars in the parking lots will get hit. They run car-to-car breaking windows and taking anything they can find.

If you want to send someone to one of the worst parts of Phoenix and have a clear conscience, then go for it. The area near Deer Valley is much, much better.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Other places to look for Indian jewelry: (Not that it will be discounted.)

Old Town Scottsdale. Carefree. Cave Creek. All of which are also nice areas to wander around in, shop, have a bite to eat. I'm not sure, but I think all three have a Gilbert Ortega store. (?) Great selection. The prices can be high but they have sales.

There is a shop in Cave Creek's Frontier Town that is built like an Indian hogan. The woman who runs it has some nice pieces, good prices and is a kick to talk to. Frontier Town is built like an old west town. Fun to wander around in and the shop keepers are all friendly. You can pretty much follow the other tourists though Cave Creek. Lots of shops on both sides of Cave Creek Road.

Also, you will sometimes see NA's set up on blankets at rest stops, gas stations, etc along some highways. They usually just have bracelets and necklaces, but I've picked up some nice things dirt cheap. Don't hesitate to take a look at what they have. They're great about explaining the materials used, etc.

And there is a lookout spot on the road from Sedona to Flagstaff. (Darned if I can remember the name.) There are stalls set up there and I've seen wonderful things for sale there. Again at great prices. (Sedona has shops that sell Indian jewelry but I can't recommend any. When we're there we're hiking and riding, not shopping. And I assume they'll be high priced because it's... Sedona.)

The Heard Museum gift shop has some of the best NA items for sale in the state. Great variety of items. They do have sales so check their web site. And a visit to the Heard is a must anyway.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-10-2011 at 12:23 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 08:16 AM

Hi AZJOSH: I am a little confused since the areas that my OP mentioned are not near Metrocenter Mall. Did I miss something in the locations that I listed?

2735 W. Sweetwater Ave, I-17 Btwn Thunderbird-Cactus, Phoenix, AZ 21636
North 26th Avenue, I-17 and Deer Valley Road, Phoenix, AZ 85027 US

8130 N Black Canyon Hwy, I-17 & Northern, Phoenix, AZ 85051-4867 US
12027 North 28th Drive, Cactus Road I 17 Exit 209, Phoenix, AZ 85029 US
17211 N. Black Canyon Hwy, Phoenix, AZ 85023

Thanks

Quote:
Have you ever been near Metrocenter mall? If you consider that "safe" then you must walk around with a .45 and some Moderator cut: snip confidence.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 AM

Most of the hotels are nearby or within just a few miles. The area to the south of the mall is a little worse than the area to the north. The areas are just low-income areas that wouldn't make for a good vacation IMO.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 AM

Thanks AZJOSH for the additonal info. It is now clearer to me. Are there any areas N or NE Phx area that would you recommed for hotels/motels? I am looking for places in the $50 to $70 range.

Quote:
Most of the hotels are nearby or within just a few miles. The area to the south of the mall is a little worse than the area to the north. The areas are just low-income areas that wouldn't make for a good vacation IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area