U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2007, 11:50 AM

32 posts, read 65,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Because everybody's personal business is public knowledge nowadays and when people see ridiculous appreciation in a few years (sold price 2 years ago, let's say, in comparison to 5 years ago), they'll shy away. IMHO, houses that haven't changed hands during the crazy years have better chances. It's a little harder to determine their market value. You can't always go by price per sq.ft. of the comps. Generally smaller houses cost more per square foot even when brand new.
Real estate transactions are public information. And yes, when I can determine the current owners bought in 2003 for $189,000, there is NO way I am going to offer, IN TODAY'S MARKET, $350,000 for that same house that has had no improvements put into it. That's in today's market. I do not fall in love with houses; we pick a house and location that meets our needs and make it home, filled with love. If I can't buy house 1, I'll move on to house 2, 3...and I bet I could find 6 houses within walking distance of each other.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 11:52 AM

42,844 posts, read 54,359,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoAZ2007 View Post
Real estate transactions are public information. And yes, when I can determine the current owners bought in 2003 for $189,000, there is NO way I am going to offer, IN TODAY'S MARKET, $350,000 for that same house that has had no improvements put into it. That's in today's market. I do not fall in love with houses; we pick a house and location that meets our needs and make it home, filled with love. If I can't buy house 1, I'll move on to house 2, 3...and I bet I could find 6 houses within walking distance of each other.
That's a good attitude you have. A lot of people (me included) get emotionally attached to a particular house and are willing to overpay sometimes.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM

105 posts, read 273,686 times
Quote:
I have to agree....i have yet to fall in love with a home....if it fits our needs and our price range then whoooopieee....but otherwise i can just walk around the corner and see more homes with a "for sale" sign out front. REALLY in the price range most people are in there just arent super special things that make a house stand out above the rest. Maybe when i hit the lotto and start looking in the million+ range and i can have a skate rink or whatever it is your little heart desires in my backyard i will start to see it differently. For now.....just show me the next 4 bed, 2 1/2 bath home...

Old 09-20-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRT View Post
I have to agree....i have yet to fall in love with a home....if it fits our needs and our price range then whoooopieee....but otherwise i can just walk around the corner and see more homes with a "for sale" sign out front. REALLY in the price range most people are in there just arent super special things that make a house stand out above the rest. Maybe when i hit the lotto and start looking in the million+ range and i can have a skate rink or whatever it is your little heart desires in my backyard i will start to see it differently. For now.....just show me the next 4 bed, 2 1/2 bath home...
I'd imagine both of you are guys!

Old 09-20-2007, 04:14 PM

32 posts, read 65,752 times
Quote:
Haha, that struck me as really funny, probably because I'm not. Believe me, there are homes I DROOL over, and there's one on my list now that I hope we end up with, but since the depth of my pockets is not endless, I can walk away. And again I say that IN THIS MARKET.

When we bought our last house we were really selective because we thought it was going to be our last house until the kids were gone...we were in it a year when the opportunity to relocate to AZ came up. So I left a house that I really did like and it was a little sad. Nothing to say that won't happen again (although I am really tired of moving!), so I'm not going to fall in love before I even buy it!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
so I'm not going to fall in love before I even buy it!
You never know... Lust at first sight DOES happen all the time! The question is only whether it's gonna turn into lasting love or endless repairs and pricey maintenance...

If you're a girl, you should know.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:26 PM

105 posts, read 273,686 times
Quote:

nope...female here!! I guess I just figure what are the chances we find a house with everything i would have picked out in the first place as far as carpet, light fixtures, style of granite or tile in kitchen etc etc.....we just resign ourselves to picking something thats "just fine" and then updating it to the things we really want. So actually we are gunning for a low priced foreclosure that might be reduced more because maybe the previous owners didnt care for it or beat it up a bit! We looked at homes back in July and saw plenty of houses that fit the above description. Because we know in 5 years +/- we are going to be replacing a good majority of the interior to be exactly what we want. So we would rather get something just ok inside as we plan on updating to our liking regardless of what we get into anyway.

I have to admit there have been a few kitchens I was more into than others....but aside from the kitchen I can let an awful lot slide!!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRT View Post
nope...female here!! I guess I just figure what are the chances we find a house with everything i would have picked out in the first place as far as carpet, light fixtures, style of granite or tile in kitchen etc etc.....we just resign ourselves to picking something thats "just fine" and then updating it to the things we really want. So actually we are gunning for a low priced foreclosure that might be reduced more because maybe the previous owners didnt care for it or beat it up a bit! We looked at homes back in July and saw plenty of houses that fit the above description. Because we know in 5 years +/- we are going to be replacing a good majority of the interior to be exactly what we want. So we would rather get something just ok inside as we plan on updating to our liking regardless of what we get into anyway.

I have to admit there have been a few kitchens I was more into than others....but aside from the kitchen I can let an awful lot slide!!
Wow, I was gravely wrong on both accounts! Maybe I have the wrong chromosomes.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:42 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,415,914 times
Quote:
Wow, I was gravely wrong on both accounts! Maybe I have the wrong chromosomes.
ROFLMAO!

Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,462,017 times
sierraAZ (half) joked:

> I'd imagine both of you are guys!

I had a husband show an interest in our house for sale and was
extremely eager to show his wife.

I realtor who was advising me on pricing at the time warned me:
"It doesn't matter what the husband thinks."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area