Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:52 AM
EBE

1 posts, read 2,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller1003 View Post
oAnswers.blockUserEnabled = true;

My daughter who just graduated college here in Florida was offered a job in Goodyear but she wants to live downtown in Phoenix in a loft apartment. Is downtown Phoenix a good place for a young 24 year old girl? She wants to be near the night life. Will the traffic be difficult driving in and out of Phoenix to her job in Goodyear? She has mild asthma as well.
I lived here all my life and unfortunatly not in the best parts of the Phoenix area. Your question is one like if you asked ten people in the same room if it was hot you'll find many answers and probably only a couple the same. It is a matter of opinion. After being sold out by our own governer Fife Simington back in the day of the phoenix lights who later came forth after leaving office and after making a total mockery of the event and then years later come forth as a witness to a massive deltoid shaped object which blot out the night sky. But dont base your decision on politicians and how honest or true they are. You will find few who will make small efforts to tell the truth or at least what they perceive to be the true or choose to believe for no rhyme nor reason, they follow the carrot at the end of the stick without question. This is Phoenix, Arizona! Although not all of us feel this way. There are still politicians out there who have not been told what to say of believe yet, but this will be short lived, soon they too will find themselves without free will. "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, No explanation is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 09:42 AM

687 posts, read 1,945,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
actually I moved in the executive towers on clarendon and central. I looked at the summit, and I wasn't moved. small balcony small units, simulated wood floors. Honestly it reminded me of a modern college dorm. The pool on the 10th floor roof top was great, the lounge area on the roof was great too. The parking garage was not-so great. They advertised "two spots" It was acutally 1 spot with a small lift to lift one car on top of the other. I have a gigantic Dodge Ram Quad-Cab, and 19ft long 64 Chevy Impala, so that alone killed the deal for me. Seemed geared more towards the 3 or 5 series beamer drivers.......... but for the money I would have spent I was really seeking a more luxurious feel.
I chose the executive towers, even though it's an older builder (built in 1964) My condo is 1600 sq. feet, 2 bd room and is fully updated it has floor to cieling windows, in each room with a walk-out balcony. I was sold the minute I walked in, and the last time I felt like that was when I bought my last house.
I love living downtown! Safeway is walking distance, A-J foods is a hop skip and a jump, and Durants is a stones throw away.
Where abouts are you HX_Guy??

To be accurate, the Executive Towers are a good two miles from downtown, but it's a great building - designed by Al Beadle with a great location and great views.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:01 AM

235 posts, read 755,606 times
Downtown Phoenix is very dangerous. Of course you have Phoenix fan boys who will praise it. They are just trying to build up the place and make a scene because they are stuck here. Phoenix culture is pathetic, hardly anything ever goes on. They are trying to make down town cool, but the crack houses and nasty runned down stores there out weigh the art galleries and music venues. The only time you can go downtown is on first Fridays. And those aren't even held in the real downtown, they are more north of where the buildings are. No one in their right mind would travel downtown at night unless in a car. After 6pm the place turns into a ghost town. Go to youtube and look up the video Downtown phoenix 10 pm. It shows how only the crack heads are out. Take the advice of the others who said go to Tempe. Granted it is a poor excuse for a downtown, but at least you can walk around there and bike with out being worried.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:12 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
It will be a really cool area in 2 years but right now it's still in its development phase. A lot of the new lofts and condos are available but the surrounding area still lacks shopping, dining and nightlife. Oh sure, there are some stores, bars etc but they are still in short supply relatively speaking. If your daughter can wait, it's going to be a really cool area.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:16 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
Downtown Phoenix is very dangerous. Of course you have Phoenix fan boys who will praise it. They are just trying to build up the place and make a scene because they are stuck here. Phoenix culture is pathetic, hardly anything ever goes on. They are trying to make down town cool, but the crack houses and nasty runned down stores there out weigh the art galleries and music venues. The only time you can go downtown is on first Fridays. And those aren't even held in the real downtown, they are more north of where the buildings are. No one in their right mind would travel downtown at night unless in a car. After 6pm the place turns into a ghost town. Go to youtube and look up the video Downtown phoenix 10 pm. It shows how only the crack heads are out. Take the advice of the others who said go to Tempe. Granted it is a poor excuse for a downtown, but at least you can walk around there and bike with out being worried.
Funny; I have heard quite a bit about sports events with the Light Rail definitely changing entertainment patterns already.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Downtown Phoenix is very dangerous. Of course you have Phoenix fan boys who will praise it. They are just trying to build up the place and make a scene because they are stuck here. Phoenix culture is pathetic, hardly anything ever goes on. They are trying to make down town cool, but the crack houses and nasty runned down stores there out weigh the art galleries and music venues.
That's not true. I will admit that downtown might be "dead" or empty after a certain time, however, its not unsafe. To suggest that it's like Detroit with crackheads running around all over the place after dark isn't close to being accurate. I don't have any particular allegiance to downtown as I live in the suburbs so I'm not a fanboy. Most of the crime is on the western border of downtown and west of the I-17 which is not what the OP is referring to. In addition, you failed to address the fact that many of those run down stores have been demolished including many houses so the area has become progressively safer over the years. ASU is moving nearly 1/3 of its total campus to downtown and this wouldn't occur if the area was full of crime and crackheads like you allege. The only criticism of downtown has been that it lacked amenities not necessarily that it was a bastion of crime. However, the area is improving considerably. I'm a Suns season ticket holder so I go to downtown at night quite often and every year, there are more restaurants, bars, stores and living quarters added.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:23 PM

I have also heard the light rail was a total waste of money, and now all the bus patrons will have to pay the price of its failure, by the raise of fair, and several much populated bus lines being eliminated by July. To have a light rail in the city is nice to look at. But Phoenix did not need one. Just take a look at other cities and how many people ride their light rail. Compare that to ours. It has never been fully occupied. Now the public transit riders will pay the price. In dollars and cents, and by losing major bus routes. Not surprised though. Phoenix solves problems in the oddest of ways.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I have also heard the light rail was a total waste of money, and now all the bus patrons will have to pay the price of its failure, by the raise of fair, and several much populated bus lines being eliminated by July. To have a light rail in the city is nice to look at. But Phoenix did not need one. Just take a look at other cities and how many people ride their light rail. Compare that to ours. It has never been fully occupied. Now the public transit riders will pay the price. In dollars and cents, and by losing major bus routes. Not surprised though. Phoenix solves problems in the oddest of ways.
Where are you getting your information? Light rail in Phoenix has actually earned a profit and it's extremely busy. In fact, due to its success, light rail is going into a second phase and there are plans to expand it in East Mesa on Apache/Main street. The light rail has been a success. And you can't compare our light rail to other cities considering it only started in December and doesn't have the large expanded tracks that other cities spent decades building.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's not true. I will admit that downtown might be "dead" or empty after a certain time, however, its not unsafe. To suggest that it's like Detroit with crackheads running around all over the place after dark isn't close to being accurate. I don't have any particular allegiance to downtown as I live in the suburbs so I'm not a fanboy. Most of the crime is on the western border of downtown and west of the I-17 which is not what the OP is referring to. In addition, you failed to address the fact that many of those runned down stores have been demolished including many houses so the area has become progressively safer over the years. ASU is moving nearly 1/3 of its total campus to downtown and this wouldn't occur if the area was full of crime and crackheads like you alledge. The only criticism of downtown has been that it lacked amenities not necessarily that it was a bastion of crime. However, the area is improving considerably. I'm a Suns season ticket holder so I go to downtown at night quite often and every year, there are more restaurants, bars, stores and living quarters added.
I worked for New times for several years. The building is a stones throw from the Diamond backs stadium. I would be walking to grab lunch, when prostitutes would approach me, proposing sex for money. While a man in a wheel chair watches. This occurred at 12 noon everyday. When I would attend some of the venues downtown. Out side of the Brick house. Every show I was confronted by a homeless man asking for money, or asking to buy drugs from him. On the streets other then in front of the venue, there would only be homeless and crack heads. They own downtown and you know it. Being a Phoenician it is common knowledge downtown belongs to the tweekers. Some may make attempts to get it back. But to live down there. I cannot compare it to a livable downtown. It just lacks way too much.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:54 PM

It is easy to listen to the news and believe everything they say. But the city of Tempe has survey takers everyday on the 44st bus. And they are tell the tale of how the rail killed our routes. Also the speak of how the rail did not meet the expectations of the city. The light rail will not be expanding. It costs more to operate then the amount of money it brings in. Don't expect the rail be around much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area