Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Wongs has gone downhill. It used to be amazing when it first opened but for the past 7 years or so, it's been mediocre. It's often dirty with the tables being sticky from uncleaned sweet and sour sauce. There were flies buzzing around in there last time I went. The chicken dishes taste like seafood because they will often cook the same items in the same oil. The food is really oily...I mean it's always been oily but it's definitely greasier than normal. The rice is reheated. 10 years ago, it was really impressive. It was small but packed. You couldn't get a table unless you were willing to wait. The restaurant was clean and the food was prepared well. They just got kind of complacent and lazy and the quality has slipped. It's still better than a lot of Chinese places but there are better ones now.

Couldn't agree more! Wongs above is an example of them getting lazy and sloppy by resorting to these tactics. They no longer seem to cook items to order like they once did. There are not many Chinese restaurants that cook to order. Or what bothers me is how some dishes aren't made at all. It seems like most spring rolls and egg rolls are frozen items that are fried. There are not places that I know that actually make their own egg rolls/spring rolls any longer.
Shoot, I'm sorry to hear this. I haven't been there in awhile, but based on your opinion (which I suspect is accurate from reading your many posts), I'll stop recommending them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times
I just got back from my 4th trip to China a few weeks ago, so missing that great food is fresh in my mind. We just tried the new Szechwan Garden in Chandler on Ray Rd. two weeks ago and it was pretty close to the real thing. I've heard it was started by one of the chefs from Szechwan Palace in the Chinese Cultural Center. I haven't found anything better than those two in the Phoenix area. Golden Buddha is awful. It may have been good once, but it's not even close to Great Wall and Great Wall isn't the best dim sum I've had either. But it's the best I've had in AZ. Everyone needs to go to Guangzhou, Chengdu and Chongqing once in their lives to see what real Chinese food is.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,592,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Not sure about Togo's, we've only been here since June. It is in the same shopping area as Frye's market and Little Cesears Pizza.
That's not the same place I am thinking of. Have eaten there once but again, didn't really care for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I just got back from my 4th trip to China a few weeks ago, so missing that great food is fresh in my mind. We just tried the new Szechwan Garden in Chandler on Ray Rd. two weeks ago and it was pretty close to the real thing. I've heard it was started by one of the chefs from Szechwan Palace in the Chinese Cultural Center. I haven't found anything better than those two in the Phoenix area. Golden Buddha is awful. It may have been good once, but it's not even close to Great Wall and Great Wall isn't the best dim sum I've had either. But it's the best I've had in AZ. Everyone needs to go to Guangzhou, Chengdu and Chongqing once in their lives to see what real Chinese food is.
Actually, I think this might be the place I was thinking of. I noticed the sign recently as I was driving past and it is Szechwan. All I can say is it must be good because it's always busy.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 PM

12 posts, read 30,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
That's the place I was referring to as Hong Kong, that I had heard good things about. I hear there are ducks hanging, so if seeing the food in near-animal state bothers you, be warned.
I'm Chinese and actually from Hong Kong. My whole family like Best Hong Kong Dining and go there to eat once in a while.

Yup, be warned if you're afraid of seeing ducks hanging around! HOWEVER, they are crispy and taste awesome! The ducks actually reminds me of the duck breast I had in Petite Maison, a French restaurant in Scottsdale! The other dishes are nice too Reminds me of the food in Hong Kong. (When you go to Best Hong Kong Dining, might as well try the Korean restaurant Hodori in the same mall. You will NEVER regret it!!!! NEVER!! That's the place I take my out-of-town guests when they come!!)

If it's a year ago, I'd recommend Phoenix Palace Buffet (Phoenix Palace Buffet - Chandler, AZ). I actually wrote a review on Yelp, but I think the quality of their food kind of dropped because there are too many people going there now when more people know the place!! And they seem to not have enough staff The waiter and waitress are still very friendly though

I think there're still a few ones that I like in the past and they can't keep up with the same quality over time...so sad...

Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talich View Post
Dim Sum at Great Wall (35th ave and Camelback) should be the best. Great Wall is the best Cantonese restaurant in the valley.

China Magic Noodle shop is quite good, and consider this is the only one in the valley specialized in noodle, you have no other choice, I guess.
China Magic Noodle WAS great when they first opened and all of my Chinese friends at church go there, including me and my family, and we're all Chinese.

BUT, I think their quality started to go downhill a few months after they opened . The noodles are still great (you really can't find someone make noodles like that in the valley), but you'd notice the other ingredients in the soup, like pork, beef, beef brisket, etc. are not as good as before and some how 'shrunk' with more tendons than meat!! I hate that. I think they cut costs on the ingredients, and many of my Chinese friends and my whole Chinese family don't go there anymore.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:55 PM

Update

Hong Kong Dining is kind of "meh" for me right now. Can't imagine a few years ago I thought it was good. I think I must be really home sick to think that

New recommendation!

Green Tea Bistro on Guadalupe and Alma School (Welcome)

My family go there more (it had been our Chinese food go-to place for a while) and the quality is more consistent; HOWEVER, if the original chef, which is the boss, is not in there, the quality could be "meh" too. It doesn't happen a lot though Hope this helps!

Old 06-12-2019, 09:14 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepai View Post
Update

Hong Kong Dining is kind of "meh" for me right now. Can't imagine a few years ago I thought it was good. I think I must be really home sick to think that

New recommendation!

Green Tea Bistro on Guadalupe and Alma School (Welcome)

My family go there more (it had been our Chinese food go-to place for a while) and the quality is more consistent; HOWEVER, if the original chef, which is the boss, is not in there, the quality could be "meh" too. It doesn't happen a lot though Hope this helps!
I used to LOVE Green Tea Bistro when I lived in the east valley. Really good food

The last time we went to Green Tea Bistro the service was so terrible we did not leave a tip (literally did not see our server again after we ordered, had to go to the counter several times for water refills, to ask about the status of our food, to get silverware, etc) and the server confronted us angrily as we were getting up to leave (NO TIP? NO TIP? she yelled) and told us to not come back.

We are going to do what she says!

Old 06-13-2019, 09:17 AM

239 posts, read 156,024 times
Golden Canyon on Dobson and Southern used to be really good. I just looked on Yelp, and it says it's now closed. Such a shame...was very good back in its day.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I used to LOVE Green Tea Bistro when I lived in the east valley. Really good food

The last time we went to Green Tea Bistro the service was so terrible we did not leave a tip (literally did not see our server again after we ordered, had to go to the counter several times for water refills, to ask about the status of our food, to get silverware, etc) and the server confronted us angrily as we were getting up to leave (NO TIP? NO TIP? she yelled) and told us to not come back. We are going to do what she says!
I was once with a (Chinese descent) friend who refused to leave a tip at a (Chinese) restaurant, and the waitress actually chased us. My friend tried to explain that tips weren't automatic, but were to reward good (or at least competent) service, but the waitress didn't have enough English to understand.

My gripe, on top of not finding a good place, is that there don't seem to be good CHEAP places, which is what I was brought up to expect. I haven't yet been to George & Sons, but I consider $15+ per dish fairly high.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:26 AM

2,774 posts, read 902,658 times
Default Flo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatetheheat01 View Post
Flo's is really good. Both of their locations are in Scottsdale though.
There is a Flo's on Baseline and Rural in Tempe. I go there now and then. More Asian fusion than Chinese but still good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area