Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunniaz View Post
I'm confused what do you mean by starter homes?
It just means the first home people buy. Not a bad thing, just usually not what the 40-somethings are typically buying. Surprise is remote (to me) and a lot of houses got built there during the boom, I think, when close-in communities like Chandler were too $$$ for people entering the r.e. market for the first time. Remote usually = affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
It just means the first home people buy. Not a bad thing, just usually not what the 40-somethings are typically buying. Surprise is remote (to me) and a lot of houses got built there during the boom, I think, when close-in communities like Chandler were too $$$ for people entering the r.e. market for the first time. Remote usually = affordable.
That is my impression as well but I think it is only partially true. Surprise has upscale retirement like Sun City Grand and there are upscale family developments there as well such as Marley Park so there is probably something there for just about everyone.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Was looking to buy a home in Chandler or Mesa but now liking Surprise. Would you say that Surprise would be just as diverse as Chandler or Mesa?
The Valley in general is diverse with regards to having a high Hispanic population which is often forgotten about and discounted when discussing culture and diversity in the Phoenix metropolitan area. It's a very lazy criticism of Phoenix when someone says there is no diversity here because the Hispanic population alone makes this city diverse.

What separates Chandler from the rest of the Valley with regards to diversity is it's Asian population. Chandler has a relatively high Asian population percentage when compared to rest of the Valley, it's approximately 10% which may not seem like much but when you consider that Chandler is ~250K, 25,000 Asians is a lot and it's only growing. I would not be surprised if that percentage doubled in 8 years.The diversity is also more readily transparent in Chandler. You see an increased number of religious organizations, restaurants and just people in general when you go out. With regard to African Americans and other races, Chandler doesn't feel any more diverse than any other city in the Valley IMHO

Old 01-05-2012, 11:16 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is my impression as well but I think it is only partially true. Surprise has upscale retirement like Sun City Grand and there are upscale family developments there as well such as Marley Park so there is probably something there for just about everyone.
Couldn't have said it better.....something for everyone price wise/design wise.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
semi retired. Would you say Chandler will be better then Surprise for a couple of 40yrs no kids? We are active and like outdoors. We like to be were there are things going on friendly ppl socializing out and about. Husband likes adult soccer pick ups. I'm born in Long Island Ny, from Great Neck, grew up mostly in PA, husband from UK. Are U still in AZ? I hear all good things about AZ other then traffic and heat. How would you rate Az as compared to the North?
What you might want to do is is go on a website that rents homes and spend a week or two in May or June. It will be less money than a hotel plus rental cars will also be off peak (PHX has a 62% tax on their rental cars so it adds-up quickly when it is peak season effectively chasing away tourists).

Try Chandler for a week while you are looking and again stay in Surprise. Surprise has a mass exodus when retirees leave the area around April. Personally, I'm in the minority and I like it busier but the town feels different during peak versus off peak.

In the end, I chose Surprise over Gilbert and Goodyear but each had their strengths and weaknesses. I would have been happy with anyone of the three.

We are in our mid 40's and soon to be empty nesters. Even though I consider myself partially retired, I didn't want to be in a retirement community. So in our neighborhood, we have a mix of retirees and empty nesters but the majority is 30-something professionals (see Surprise AZ Homes for Sale ~ Marley Park . Marley Park is a big reason why I chose Surprise. If it was located in Goodyear, I would have bought there. The neighborhood is active, inviting, lot's of social events, etc. It's a magnet for extroverts. Make no mistake, Surprise is a bedroom community that basically shuts down around 9PM. There are no night clubs but a couple o.k. bars. That is one of my beefs about the area.

AZ is full of people from everywhere around the USA. Hence, they don't have deep roots and I've found people to be extremely friendly. My next door neighbor is an empty nester and also a Surprise Cop from OH, my other next door neighbor came from Riverside CA and never had Children. Across the street is a retired couple from NY who is active in the neighborhood and their 35 year old Son lives 3 blocks away with their young family.

Good luck in your search. I find the "hunt" to be a lot of fun!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 AM

27 posts, read 54,129 times
This is great positive info, thanks allot.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:36 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I like the idea about home rental - also keep an idea if you are looking to frequently explore other parts of the state (or nearby states) and if one location leads better to that

Chandler is definitely ahead on the development game and will have a better/wider selection of restaurants and things of that nature

Surprise has a much more limited selection, but some pretty decent places in it's own right - just hope that the one doesn't go out of business

Both have pretty good access to outdoor recreation options

Surprise has an excellent tennis center and some really nice parks - not sure about soccer in surprise, but I know there are a wide variety of mens leagues throughout the metro

Definitely come out and see what fits the bill for you - I don't think you can do wrong in either, but you could probably do a little more right based on what suits you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area