Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 04:01 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,119,971 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with bail agents in Arizona? Does anyone here do it or know someone who does?

I know they are licensed by the state but work for themselves. Do fugitives and bail jumpers think of bail agents as a legit profession or are bail agents not taken seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 05:42 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
I'm a bit curious as to why you are asking. I don't know that bail agents are any different here than in any other state. And, I wonder whether you will get any fugitives or bail jumpers here to answer your question.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:03 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
I would think they are taken very seriously, because without them, many people would remain in jail because they can't afford the full amount of bail.

If after they get the bail money, if they feel they can just skip, then they'll find out fairly quickly how much more seriously they should have taken them.

These companies are in the business of putting up the bail money to help their clients pay the bail bond to get out of jail; and they expect to get their money refunded from the court when the client appears in court as required.

Therefore, if a client jumps bail, they can expect a bounty hunter, who may be either an employee of, or hired by, the bail bond company to get hot on their trail.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM

363 posts, read 929,786 times
Bailbondsmen are very serious. Don't you watch Dog, the bounty hunter??? They shoot you with a beanbag first and ask questions later... of course just kidding here. If I was a fugitive I would grow eyes on the back of my skull!!!! They get paid a percentage of the bail and believe me, they go to lenghts to find their targets.

From Law Enforcement point of view however, some bounty hunters are respected and looked upon as legit, serious and honorable men. Unfortunatelly most bail bond Agencies are headed by ex cons and seasoned criminals who know the loopholes of our justice system. The people they hire can work for them directly or hire standalone individuals with state issued licenses. Unlike Law Enforcement, they have the right to enter a dwelling without a warrant(based on information that their guy is in the home) and capture/pursue a fugitive. There is a lot of reading and informative material on the net... just google them.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:38 AM

This is rapidly becoming a not about AZ thread. If the OP doesn't come back soon and explain the question, it will be moved to a more general forum.

Last edited by observer53; 01-07-2012 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 01:11 PM

Whoa?! Why all The hostility? This is a question reference possible employment for myself when I move to Arizona. I am in law enforcement in Illinois and we DO NOT have bail agents here. Just trying to get some information.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 PM

And I work midnights so needed some sleep. Jeeeesh

Old 01-07-2012, 01:23 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
And I work midnights so needed some sleep. Jeeeesh
[mod cut-- off topic]

I don't think much of the general public knows about the profession as they have never seen or dealt with a bail agent other than what they see on TV. I for one have never met one in person or know anyone that has dealt with one in person. I know TV portrays them as kind of a joke and doesn't seem to be doing the profession any favors.

Again, welcome!

Last edited by observer53; 01-07-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 02:24 PM

363 posts, read 929,786 times
What do you do in IL(what department)? I would look for AZ law enforcement jobs... or try CBP.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:50 PM

It's not "hostility", it's just that it was difficult to tell what you were asking without more info, so people were not focusing on the local situation. Now we know what you are looking for and you can get some input that directly answers your question.

I don't think bail agents are viewed in a particularly negative light here in AZ, at least not from what I have heard from those working in the criminal justice system. They provide a service that is needed, and should be respected for it. I don't know what the job market's like in that field, but someone else here may! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area