Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:37 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
If he's working in Tempe, I'd say Chandler, or Tempe, for that matter, over Scottsdale. Why spend all that time on the road?
Scottsdale is fun and has nice restaurants, lounges and better shopping.For a couple that has no kids, why not live in Scottsdale? South Scottsdale borders Tempe. I like Chandler but it's a little boring compared to Scottsdale. For families, I think Chandler is far superior but for a couple or a young couple, I think Scottsdale would be fun. But there are fun things to do in Chandler and Tempe. Downtown Chandler has a nice little scene. There are nice boutique restaurants scatted all over Chempetukee.

Don't forget South Tempe, your hood. It's really nice too especially anything on Warner between I-10 and 101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Scottsdale has the art galleries and the Scottsdale Center for the Arts, but Tempe has the University, as well as Tempe Center for the Arts, and Chandler Center for the Arts is another nice venue, as is Mesa Arts Center, which is a short drive from either Chandler or Tempe.

I'd rather be doing my driving to entertainment venues than doing a long daily commute during rush hours. As azriverfan says, there's lots of interesting dining in the Chandler/Tempe/Ahwatukee area, and when you want to go to Scottsdale to eat, you can.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:17 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
I'd rather be doing my driving to entertainment venues than doing a long daily commute during rush hours. As azriverfan says, there's lots of interesting dining in the Chandler/Tempe/Ahwatukee area, and when you want to go to Scottsdale to eat, you can.
Well that was the reasoning I had and why I chose to live in Chandler but I was playing devils advocate. A long commute to work is a pain. And South Scottsdale (Old Town) was only 23 minutes from my house (to the W Hotel) taking the 101 north and exiting on Indian School to Hayden to Camelback. I wasn't driving very fast either.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:00 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby'sgirl1 View Post
my hubby and I are relocating to AZ in June due to a job transfer. Don;t know anything about AZ although Scottsdale and Chandler have peaked my interest. We are in our 50"s (a young spirited 50), we bike, hike, swim, kayak, love sports. the theater and the arts. Our children ae grown alathough I expect them to visit frequently (both in their 20's)...would you suggest Scottsdale or Chandler?
Scottsdale is my suggestion too because it offers more as far as what you're is interested in (specifically theatre & arts). Also, since the kids are twenty something and will be visiting frequently, Scottsdale offers more for the the younger crowd around that age who might prefer a better nightlife scene, shopping, restaurants, and bars.

The only thing I will say is Scottsdale tends to be very expensive for living compared to other parts of the metro area. Have you actually considered Tempe? The north part of Tempe (above the 60 freeway) is pretty liberal and more geared for the college age crowd, but south Tempe is much more suburban and not quite as expensive as Scottsdale. Where in Tempe is the workplace?

Old 02-02-2012, 02:01 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Scottsdale is my suggestion too because it offers more as far as what you're is interested in (specifically theatre & arts). Also, since the kids are twenty something and will be visiting frequently, Scottsdale offers more for the the younger crowd around that age who might prefer a better nightlife scene, shopping, restaurants, and bars.

The only thing I will say is Scottsdale tends to be very expensive for living compared to other parts of the metro area. Have you actually considered Tempe? The north part of Tempe (above the 60 freeway) is pretty liberal and more geared for the college age crowd, but south Tempe is much more suburban and not quite as expensive as Scottsdale. Where in Tempe is the workplace?
I actually disagree with that. There is more live theater in Tempe than in Scottsdale, which only has one venue of any significance, while Tempe has three, two based on the campus and one City facility. As far as "arts", well, there's the galleries in downtown Scottsdale, and the Center for the Arts in Scottsdale. Tempe has the University and all the "arts" involved there, as well as Tempe Center for the Arts. Mesa Arts Center and Chandler Center for the Arts are nearby.

As far as "geared for the college age crowd" north of the 60, there's quite a few neighborhoods in that part of town that don't have any more University influence than the part south of the 60. All depends on what the OP is looking for.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:13 AM

49 posts, read 158,380 times
Probably a matter of taste. South Scottsdale (Old Town area) is close to Tempe and it's got a lot of great nightlife, restaurants, etc. But personally it's not for me and I don't think it's for everyone. On the other hand, N.Scottsdale is a great area for most everyone (families, retirees, singles and yuppies). N.Scottsdale is more sedate, has more offerings in terms of affordable everyday things, yet still has the bars and posh & trendy places like the Scottsdale Square/Kierland Commons complex.

However, I also love Chandler area which has so much to offer. We head down to Chandler area at least once a week for that reason. Given that the OP's husband's job is in Tempe, N.Scottsdale would be too far and so I'd cast my vote for Chandler.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
I actually disagree with that. There is more live theater in Tempe than in Scottsdale, which only has one venue of any significance, while Tempe has three, two based on the campus and one City facility. As far as "arts", well, there's the galleries in downtown Scottsdale, and the Center for the Arts in Scottsdale. Tempe has the University and all the "arts" involved there, as well as Tempe Center for the Arts. Mesa Arts Center and Chandler Center for the Arts are nearby.

As far as "geared for the college age crowd" north of the 60, there's quite a few neighborhoods in that part of town that don't have any more University influence than the part south of the 60. All depends on what the OP is looking for.
That's why I also asked the OP about considering living in Tempe itself ... it offers more for the artsy types and those who might be more into theatre. They are also active & into swimming, kayaking, etc., so anyplace with access to these things would be suitable, regardless if it's in Scottsdale, Chandler, Tempe, or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Given that the OP's husband's job is in Tempe, N.Scottsdale would be too far and so I'd cast my vote for Chandler.
That would depend on where in Tempe the workplace is. East Valley traffic can be very congested during peak commute times, so it might be better if the OP could live closer to work ... less driving, less hassle, and less gas. That's another reason that living in Tempe might actually be better overall than Scottsdale or Chandler.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 AM

17 posts, read 46,746 times
Definitely much to consider with all the points mentioned, but being in a similar searching situation, one important factor for me would be Captain Bill's stats of Below is the current monthly average price per square foot for each:
  • $93.66 per sq ft Chandler
  • $166.88 per sq ft Scottsdale
Everyone has a list with priorities but in this scenario, a 2000 sq ft home in Chandler would be in the $187,000 range, in Scottsdale it would be $333,000, that's close to $150k.

For a $10,000 to $30,000 difference, I would look at saving 10 to 15 minutes on the work comute, being close to a whatever amenities you need. For that kind of difference, Scottsdale would really need to offer big reason to drop an extra $150k.

To Captain Bill or the other real estate agents that fequent this forum, would it be possible to also include the $$/ sq ft for Mesa, Gilbert, South Tempe and Ahwatukee? Personally looking in these areas as I have a pending job in Tempe, the OP might also be interested as she did say she was asking about Chandler/Scottsdale because they were the only place she knew of.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area