U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 AM

568 posts, read 1,132,017 times

Advertisements

After my recent burglary (Christmas morning), I've invested in what I think are decent security doors (front and back), as well as burglar bars on the large (and low-to-the-ground) windows in the back of the house that the burglars seems to like to break(although for whatever reason, they haven't actually entered via the windows, but through the doors instead). The doors require keys to enter/exit when locked. Basically, I think it will be difficult for the burglars to get in or out via doors at least. (assuming these are amateurs and not Ocean's 11 style thieves)

I have a few other windows that I think might be vulnerable in the sense that they are somewhat hidden from view. But to me they seem awfully narrow for someone other than a really skinny kid to climb through? They are both only 16 inches wide(each pane x 2, sliding dual pane glass)...but certainly not too high since they are only 4 ft high from the ground. I am guessing these are relatively unattractive to thieves? Or am I under-estimating the risk? Teenagers can be skinny. It's tricky to know how much more security to add! All I know is, I'm sick of being burgled...time to stop the madness!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 AM

9,319 posts, read 17,963,075 times
Sorry for your loss. We were robbed of $3,000 worth of tools while doing our remodel and it sure turns you upside down. I think they can find ways in with or without bars. Do you have an alarm system? We put one in right after the thief hit us.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:46 AM

9,549 posts, read 29,867,640 times
Smart decision, Xica.

Security Bars are definitely not a sure thing, however, as with any security modification, they just may "encourage" the thugs to pick an easier target.

Good Luck

Old 01-16-2012, 10:49 AM

1,232 posts, read 2,992,718 times
Since they're small, they'd be cheap to bar, right? If someone comes through those, you've wasted all the money you've spent so far so why not do them all.

Did you use a company who installs bars with key locks, so occupants can get out in case of fire? Or just bolt on bars yourself? I'm not judging but do be aware it's a serious safety hazard to have bars that can't be quickly released from indoors, especially if there are kids in the bedrooms.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,162,494 times
I believe city ordinances will require quick releases on the inside of the house for the bars.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 PM

5,037 posts, read 8,745,933 times
I'm sorry this happened to you.

It's a shame that so many tend to be reactive, rather than proactive, and install security features after they've been hit rather than before. It would save so much heartache if it was done the other way around.

To answer your question... If you felt the need to add bars to your windows, then you should do ALL ground floor windows, even ones large enough only for a child. Since it is not unheard of for bad guys to send a kid into a house through a doggie door, in order to let the bigger ones in from the inside, even small windows are vulnerable.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 AM

3,720 posts, read 2,412,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Smart decision, Xica.

Security Bars are definitely not a sure thing, however, as with any security modification, they just may "encourage" the thugs to pick an easier target.

Good Luck
^^This

Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 AM

7 posts, read 21,123 times
If you really want to secure it all, don't forget the skylights. I've heard of burgers sending in a thin accomplice through the roof!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:53 AM

3,153 posts, read 5,319,211 times
OP lives in the Coronado Historic District, is highly unlikely to have a skylight.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM

22 posts, read 66,631 times
We were burglarized in December of 2010. I feel your pain as we lost over $13K of jewelry (at old $2-300 dollar gold price levels) as well as several guns plus many sentimental items that are impossible to replace.

In addition to window bars and security doors, I would recommend having a good burglar alarm installed with many inside motion sensors and a cell phone connection (rather than a hard line that be cut).

Another thing we did is get a safe bolted down to the floor in an out of the way location. We lock all valuables in the safe when we are gone. Its a hassle to do it everytime we leave but at least we aren't leaving it out for low lifes to steal.

Also, after we were hit our neighborhood started a Neighborhood Watch program and this might be the best thing that could have happened. Neighbors watching out for neighbors who will call in when they see strange cars
cruising the neighborhoods seems to help. We have not had anything
occur here in the year plus since my loss.

Finally, contacting your local law enforcement agency and requesting them
to do additional patrols in your neighborhood can help. After our loss, the local Sheriffs Office did send more patrols through our neighborhood for a time. Remember, sometimes a thief will hit the same place a few weeks/months later if they spotted something they wanted but didn't have time to get.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by brandyspaw; 01-17-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area