Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:36 PM

424 posts, read 952,964 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about pursuing real estate in one of the Phoenix historic districts. I'm looking to spend up to $200K and I'm curious to find the best/safest areas that amount of money can by. Of course proximity to restaurants, shopping, and good quality of life is important. Any comments or information from current or previous folks living in those areas would be appreciated! I already have an agent so gathering data is what I am seeking.

Last edited by gtbguy; 01-19-2012 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 10:37 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
"I'm curious to find the best/safest areas that amount of money can by."

gee, aren't we all.....

check out these recent threads here in the Phx subforum.....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...light=historic

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...light=historic

good luck....lots of choices

Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Most of the historic districts are centrally located, and close to either downtown or uptown Phoenix. Willo, Palmcroft, and Encanto are three very well known historic areas with vintage storybook type of homes and lush greenery. The quality of construction was highly superior back then compared to the shoddy cookie cutter construction of many homes today.

Also, while not historic, there are some older neighborhoods around the Camelback Corridor area from about Central Avenue to 24th Street which are very nice. This area is closer to major shopping and dining than some of the historic districts mentioned above.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
There's Maple Ash in Tempe by ASU.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:04 AM

568 posts, read 1,205,872 times
Disclaimer: I currently live in Coronado Historic District and I'm an ethusiastic fan (in spite of one particular issue which I'll mention below)

If you want to live in a true historic neighborhood, I think your best bet is the Coronado historic district for $200,000 or less. I'd consider it one of the up-and-coming neighborhoods, and there seem to be some decent deals right now. From what I've seen of Willo, Palmcroft, and Encanto, it's rare to find anything below $200,000, and if you do, it's because it's going to require some major repairs on the house. Since Coronado is a larger district, I think you'll find more options to choose from, too.
How would I describe Coronado: Awesome neighbors, no HOA but a strong neighborhood association that gives it a community feel: Gardens, clean-up projects, annual home tours, movies in the park. People of all ages, walks of life, income levels. Very walkable, urban, green. A little rough around the edges. In a slow gentrification process, which will probably increase as gas prices do, and people tire of long, expensive commutes into town. I was just thinking this morning how grateful I am: even though I have to commute to Mesa for work, when I look at all the traffic coming the other way, while I'm just whizzing along going Eastbound, I never feel crabby to start my day, I never feel like I'm wasting my time sitting in bumper-to-bumper. Little things sometimes mean a lot!

Drawback: Theft and burglary. I think there are 2 main issues that make Coronado attractive to burglars/thieves:
1) numerous criss-cross alleys that are poorly lit, that make it sooo easy for burglars to get in-and-out quickly without being noticed (note that Willo has alleys, too, but they are one-way, wish we could do that!). According to our community police officer, almost all the burglaries/thefts in our area are backyard/alley entries.
2) For whatever reason, the majority of people in our neighborhood actually work, and work the typical 9-5pm. So, it's challenging to put together a block watch type program, even though we're all very vigilant and look after each other while there. Not too many retirees to look after things, sadly. Most burglaries take place when people aren't around to see or call police. But the good thing is, the police are working really hard to help us take back the alleys; we've seen a lot more patrolling lately. And we are calling on anyone who's back there, snooping around. A shout out to our PHX PD precinct officers!

My advice is, move to Coronado and you'll be very happy, and make a lot of great friends, meet a lot of cool, interesting people. And you'll be close to some great little mom-and-pop restaurants, shops, etc. But, get a property with a fence, and get a big barky DAWG and you'll never have to worry about what I mentioned above. I wish I could get a dog but my 2 older kitties get a vote and they say 'no'. LOL. So I put up security doors/windows instead. And btw, this is a very very dog-loving neighborhood, maybe even more dogs than people!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:34 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,146 times
The Roosevelt District, 2nd-5th Avenue by Roosevelt Street is a pretty nice area. Not sure about if any houses are for sale, but there are many apartments in the area. It is a very lush community, tall trees, parks, a lot of shopping nearby. Moving across Central would bring you to the Arts District. The skyscrapers of downtown are only several blocks away.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:27 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,982,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
The Roosevelt District, 2nd-5th Avenue by Roosevelt Street is a pretty nice area. Not sure about if any houses are for sale, but there are many apartments in the area. It is a very lush community, tall trees, parks, a lot of shopping nearby. Moving across Central would bring you to the Arts District. The skyscrapers of downtown are only several blocks away.
How many homes does this area actually have? This area appears the former homes transformed into business'.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:20 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Most of the historic districts are centrally located, and close to either downtown or uptown Phoenix. Willo, Palmcroft, and Encanto are three very well known historic areas with vintage storybook type of homes and lush greenery. The quality of construction was highly superior back then compared to the shoddy cookie cutter construction of many homes today.
Valley Native, you always refer to Palmcroft and Encanto as if they are separate neighborhoods. There is in fact an historic district called Encanto-Palmcroft. Is there some historic distinction? Can you delineate which part is which? There are also other historic districts with Encanto in their names (Encanto Manor, Encanto Vista, North Encanto) but the one that people think of when they think of Encanto is the Encanto-Palmcroft district.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:24 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
How many homes does this area actually have? This area appears the former homes transformed into business'.
The parts between Roosevelt and McDowell are primarily private homes, I walk there frequently. South of Roosevelt may have more businesses.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:33 PM

568 posts, read 1,205,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Valley Native, you always refer to Palmcroft and Encanto as if they are separate neighborhoods. There is in fact an historic district called Encanto-Palmcroft. Is there some historic distinction? Can you delineate which part is which? There are also other historic districts with Encanto in their names (Encanto Manor, Encanto Vista, North Encanto) but the one that people think of when they think of Encanto is the Encanto-Palmcroft district.
Ha. I made the same error. And I actually went to the Encanto-Palmcroft historic home tour just last year! Case of Friday weekend-on-the- brain. Good catch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area