Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 PM

168 posts, read 456,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I also know someone locally who is trying to get approved for another mortgage for an investment property. The banks said they want 20% down because there is a foreclosure on her credit report, dated last month. That's an error, but how wild that all she'd have to do is put 20% down after a foreclosure and boom... new mortgage, new house. If you quit paying your mortgage 18 months ago and pocketed the money instead, like some people have done, that's a nice chunk of cash to put down on your next place.

I'm not hoping people do any of this. I just think we should all know it's happening. I find it wonderful on the human aspects but a little horrifying as far as public financial policy.
I find it repugnant. Seriously. You sign a contract, you honor it. With people like your friend who short sold, bought, and is short selling again, or people who are pocketing their mortgage for 18 months for a down payment on a new home, this real estate mess will never recover. How is that not infuriating to every participating, tax paying member of this society? This impacts us all. People need to stop taking the easy way out and honor their obligations. This isn't just about them and their desire for a new home, or to get out of a home simply b/c they don't like being upside down and they wanted a pool (yes, I know someone who did that). It's about us, their neighbors, who suffer every time they short sell or foreclose b/c OUR homes lose value. I understand that some people have real hardship reasons to short sell or foreclose. But there are many who are just taking the easy way out, and many who had no business buying the home in the first place. Sorry, but that's just not right. Banks and agents played a big role in this, but homebuyers need to accept responsibility for their roles as well. Until that happens, nothing will ever change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinsFan1 View Post
I find it repugnant. Seriously. You sign a contract, you honor it. With people like your friend who short sold, bought, and is short selling again, or people who are pocketing their mortgage for 18 months for a down payment on a new home, this real estate mess will never recover. How is that not infuriating to every participating, tax paying member of this society? This impacts us all. People need to stop taking the easy way out and honor their obligations. This isn't just about them and their desire for a new home, or to get out of a home simply b/c they don't like being upside down and they wanted a pool (yes, I know someone who did that). It's about us, their neighbors, who suffer every time they short sell or foreclose b/c OUR homes lose value. I understand that some people have real hardship reasons to short sell or foreclose. But there are many who are just taking the easy way out, and many who had no business buying the home in the first place. Sorry, but that's just not right. Banks and agents played a big role in this, but homebuyers need to accept responsibility for their roles as well. Until that happens, nothing will ever change.
In my view.....very well said!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Don't know that I entirely believe or agree with this, but. . .

Is housing glut over? Experts predict housing shortage by spring - East Valley Tribune: Mesa

From the January 18, 2012 edition of the paper.
There is still a large inventory of forclosed houses tht are not on the market.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 PM

19 posts, read 30,527 times
that is why I would like to see a return to debtor's prisons....that would stop this sort of thing and make examples out of those who do....

Old 01-24-2012, 03:36 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalpiper View Post
that is why I would like to see a return to debtor's prisons....that would stop this sort of thing and make examples out of those who do....
Sure, but I wouldn't support that until even one banker gets sent to prison.

None have.

Not even the poster child for ignorant loans, Angelo Mozillo had any real repercussions for his actions.

A "record" fine, (paid by his employer) didn't offset at all the one-hundred-and-forty MILLION dollars in stock options he exercised while telling everyone the company was "fine". He told the government he was selling those options for "his grandkid's college", not because his company was a cesspool of garbage loans.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:59 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Sure, but I wouldn't support that until even one banker gets sent to prison.

None have.

Not even the poster child for ignorant loans, Angelo Mozillo had any real repercussions for his actions.

A "record" fine, (paid by his employer) didn't offset at all the one-hundred-and-forty MILLION dollars in stock options he exercised while telling everyone the company was "fine". He told the government he was selling those options for "his grandkid's college", not because his company was a cesspool of garbage loans.
From In Fight Against Securities Fraud, S.E.C. Sends Wrong Signal - NYTimes.com
"After years of lengthy investigations into collateralized debt obligations, the mortgage securities at the heart of the financial crisis, the only individuals the S.E.C. has brought civil actions against for involvement in those transactions are half a dozen small-timers.No major investment banker has been brought up on criminal charges stemming from the financial crisis."

All the SEC did was fine a small portion of the scumbags profits. The biggest fine in the history of the SEC was Goldman Sach's at a record $550M (no one went to jail). But the bank made multi-billions in profits. That's billions with a B! They even made a couple billion after they were propped up after the collapse. Do you want to know all of the details??? Nope! The SEC sealed the documents as part of the deal.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 AM

246 posts, read 400,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinsFan1 View Post
Well said. Just think if people could walk away from stocks they purchased that have gone down in value and not have to take the loss on them. People would be outraged. But that's in essence what people can relatively easily do and get out of their commitment on their home mortgage that has lost value. Agreed that there are real hardship cases.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
This thread has meandered quite a ways from the first post. Let's keep the discussion focused on Phoenix, and less so on general comments about corporate greed and national trends. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
There is still a large inventory of forclosed houses tht are not on the market.
Since you say foreclosed, I assume you're talking about the lender owned homes that aren't on the market.

I've been posting declining numbers and as of Jan 2 the chart shows them to be down to about 4,500 not listed, and only 1,500 listed.

What is the number you have?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 AM

85 posts, read 316,806 times
I'm new to the area and looking to purchase a home in the next 3 months, specifically the Scottsdale/Tempe area but open to areas on the outskirts of those cities. Can anyone share their experience with an FHA loan? Any recommendations of who to begin shopping around with for a good FHA package? This will be my second home purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area