Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:17 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
One of my first jobs was as a courtesy clerk in that very Bashas'. Hated every minute of it. Customers then could be very demanding.
With that said, many years later I moved to some apartments on Indian School Rd. I would sometimes frequent that store. After a falling out with management there, I switched to the "cattycorner" Safeway. It was a different world in size and scope. The employees were much more approachable. Eddie would be wise to update that Bashas' location but after their recent bankruptcy reorganization, he probably doesn't have the capital to lay out now.
Eddie is no longer with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I stopped at the Bashas at 7th Ave and Osborn earlier today and it seems that area is getting worse compared to a few years back.

But from Central going east Osborn became nicer.
Considering that the OP asked this question 3 years ago, I'm just going to LOL.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:28 PM

416 posts, read 587,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
Eddie is no longer with us.
And it shows in the stores, too - including AJs, which has really taken a big dump since he passed. His sons are such dolts when it comes to running the business.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:36 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
And it shows in the stores, too - including AJs, which has really taken a big dump since he passed. His sons are such dolts when it comes to running the business.
I ain't real impressed with AJ's. Nicer looking inside but what they sell is no better than a regular Bashas IMHO.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:09 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
I ain't real impressed with AJ's. Nicer looking inside but what they sell is no better than a regular Bashas IMHO.
Disagree. They have a different offering. More variety in produce and meats, more extensive seafood selection, a lot more choices in wine, cheeses, etc. It could be a lot better, and Whole Foods gives them competition in some areas, but they sell things that you can't get in your typical Basha's/Safeway/Fry's/Albertson's.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:46 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Eddie would be wise to update that Bashas' location but after their recent bankruptcy reorganization, he probably doesn't have the capital to lay out now.

Eddie is no longer alive.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
Eddie is no longer alive.
He was still alive when desertskies posted that, though. This is an old thread.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
I stopped at the Bashas at 7th Ave and Osborn earlier today and it seems that area is getting worse compared to a few years back.

But from Central going east Osborn became nicer.
That store has been around for as long as I can remember, and being a native, I remember that particular store from the 1960s when I was a little kid. I have a feeling Basha's will close that store, or move it. I wouldn't be too worried about the competition from Safeway across the street, but if it were a Fry's/Kroger's, then that would be a different story, and renovating that store is probably not a feasible option for Basha's. Who knows, with the trend that I've been seeing lately, another big grocery chain might take over Basha's.

I haven't been in that store in 3 decades, but like most areas in Phoenix, you'll have pockets of not-so-desirable areas. Encanto Park is about a mile further south, and it has always been a good area, and the older areas of Phoenix around downtown have been well-kept, but then again, you'll have a few not-so-nice pockets here and there in the vicinity.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:28 PM

770 posts, read 836,740 times
I love shopping at bashas but I stop by that bashas recently since I work downtown. That was the most disgusting store I've ever been in. There was flies in the bakery case. The store was old an decrepit and had only one register 15 people deep and I just left. I'll stick to the next couple bashas on McClintock and Warner.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
I love shopping at bashas but I stop by that bashas recently since I work downtown. That was the most disgusting store I've ever been in. There was flies in the bakery case. The store was old an decrepit and had only one register 15 people deep and I just left. I'll stick to the next couple bashas on McClintock and Warner.
I wouldn't characterize it as being quite that bad, but it is the closest grocery store to my house and if I do my weekly shopping at a Basha's, I do it at 7th St and Missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area