U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-22-2012, 03:22 PM
 
7,664 posts, read 2,280,751 times
Reputation: 1654
Default 7th Ave and Osborn, is it getting worse?

I stopped at the Bashas at 7th Ave and Osborn earlier today and it seems that area is getting worse compared to a few years back.

But from Central going east Osborn became nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 PM
 
Location: South Tempe, AZ
13,495 posts, read 15,558,539 times
Reputation: 5861
That Bashas' is getting very old and tired. And now that both the pharmacy and the China Doll are gone, it looks even more so. The Safeway right across the street has a whole different feel. I don't think the area around it has changed that much, though, it's always been nicer has you head toward Central.
__________________
Terms of Service / FAQ /Information for Realtors
Moderator for Arizona and Nevada forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 03:54 PM
 
7,664 posts, read 2,280,751 times
Reputation: 1654
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That Bashas' is getting very old and tired. And now that both the pharmacy and the China Doll are gone, it looks even more so. The Safeway right across the street has a whole different feel. I don't think the area around it has changed that much, though, it's always been nicer has you head toward Central.
Thanks. It's NOT just my imagination then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 04:02 PM
 
Location: South Tempe, AZ
13,495 posts, read 15,558,539 times
Reputation: 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Thanks. It's NOT just my imagination then.

No, it's not. It would be nice if Bashas' could just magically transport the beautiful store they closed at Pecos and McQueen in Chandler and drop it in that spot.

I shop in there (7th ave and Osborn) occasionally, because it's close to my work. They don't have the $$ to renovate stores that they once did, either... the Bashas' by my house was enlarged many years ago when it took over some adjoining space. We won't see that happening now.
__________________
Terms of Service / FAQ /Information for Realtors
Moderator for Arizona and Nevada forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Maricopa County, AZ
264 posts, read 299,139 times
Reputation: 169
One of my first jobs was as a courtesy clerk in that very Bashas'. Hated every minute of it. Customers then could be very demanding.
With that said, many years later I moved to some apartments on Indian School Rd. I would sometimes frequent that store. After a falling out with management there, I switched to the "cattycorner" Safeway. It was a different world in size and scope. The employees were much more approachable. Eddie would be wise to update that Bashas' location but after their recent bankruptcy reorganization, he probably doesn't have the capital to lay out now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Willo Historic District, Phoenix, AZ
1,498 posts, read 1,618,345 times
Reputation: 1363
Those two stores are the closest supermarkets to our home. The Basha's is interesting. It seems to be a magnet for homeless people, panhandlers, etc. It is also, though, the closest store to the wealthy crowd from Encanto-Palmcroft. There is often an interesting juxtaposition of folks in the checkout line. I rarely shop there, though. The story is small and dingy. There are no express lines or self service checkouts, which makes it time consuming to simply pick up a few items. Going there for weekly shopping is not practical either as the store is so small that they lack a bunch of the things I would be looking for. If I do Basha's for weekly shopping I go to 7th Street and Missouri.

The Safeway is much nicer (bigger, cleaner, newer, more upscale) and that is where I shop most often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 AM
 
7,664 posts, read 2,280,751 times
Reputation: 1654
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
One of my first jobs was as a courtesy clerk in that very Bashas'. Hated every minute of it. Customers then could be very demanding.
With that said, many years later I moved to some apartments on Indian School Rd. I would sometimes frequent that store. After a falling out with management there, I switched to the "cattycorner" Safeway. It was a different world in size and scope. The employees were much more approachable. Eddie would be wise to update that Bashas' location but after their recent bankruptcy reorganization, he probably doesn't have the capital to lay out now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Those two stores are the closest supermarkets to our home. The Basha's is interesting. It seems to be a magnet for homeless people, panhandlers, etc. It is also, though, the closest store to the wealthy crowd from Encanto-Palmcroft. There is often an interesting juxtaposition of folks in the checkout line. I rarely shop there, though. The story is small and dingy. There are no express lines or self service checkouts, which makes it time consuming to simply pick up a few items. Going there for weekly shopping is not practical either as the store is so small that they lack a bunch of the things I would be looking for. If I do Basha's for weekly shopping I go to 7th Street and Missouri.

The Safeway is much nicer (bigger, cleaner, newer, more upscale) and that is where I shop most often.
Safeway has really improved over the years. Back in the day most Safeways were like that Bashas we're discussing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top