Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Phoenix offers many opportunities for people to be healthy. The city offers some of the best health care in the country. There are many grocery stores that offer organic and healthy food on the cutting edge. There are many restaurants that cater to healthy lifestyles. There are many parks, biking trails, hiking trails in addition to natural terrain. There are many upscale gyms and work out facilities. There are many groups and social networking for people who enjoy competing in endurance sports. The year round warm weather provides an opportunity to engage in outdoor sports. In the summer, you can be outside in the mornings and in the evenings. From October to May, you can be outdoors during most of the day.
Agree with all of this except for being outside in the mornings & evenings during the summer. I guess it all depends on the individual ... but for me, I find the evenings & early mornings to be oppressive during much of the summer. Even June can be uncomfortable at times. A lot of this is due to the urban heat island effect. From July to about mid September, you have the added discomfort of more humidity along with the heat. The nights are still somewhat better than being outside during the blazing heat of day, which is why I like to do errands as late at night as possible in the summer ... that is, if I'm here. More than likely, I'd be in the high country or on the CA coast in the summer months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
Yeah, I don't know who they were polling, but saying Phoenix is "anger-free" is like saying San Francisco is "lacking fog".
I have to wonder about that too. According to much of the national media, we have a hostile population of anti Hispanic, anti immigrant, gun crazed whackos ... and a finger wagging Governor who hates the President. Whether one believes all this or not is his/her business, but it doesn't make Phoenix look very friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM

603 posts, read 946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I have to wonder about that too. According to much of the national media, we have a hostile population of anti Hispanic, anti immigrant, gun crazed whackos ... and a finger wagging Governor who hates the President. Whether one believes all this or not is his/her business, but it doesn't make Phoenix look very friendly.
The politics out here are a whole other ball of wax (that I don't want to get started).

Describing people as "anger-free" makes me think of people who are relaxed, cool, content and patient. Those are descriptions for somewhere like Key West, not Phoenix. If people are looking for "anger-free", I'd scratch Phoenix off the list, just like I'd scratch off New York City, LA, Oakland, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area