Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:51 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Medicare will cover 1 hour/day of a personal care aide (hygiene, bathing)with a diagnosis and order for home health eval. if qualified.

Hospice gives more care, but you need a terminal illness (used to be less than 6 months ) to qualify.

Aides that do housekeeping, errand type things aren't medicare covered, but maybe with a few hours/day of that it would help if they can private pay for it. They'll cook, do a bit of cleaning, do wash, etc.

I think contacting a certified medicare agency would be a place to start.
Hospice requires a doctor to say that the patient has an expected life span of six months due to terminal illness (Alzheimer's is appropriately so described, I would think) . If the patient is still alive after six months, it can be renewed the same way. I'd suggest that he discuss hospice with her doctor. In home hospice care is INCREDIBLY helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 06:21 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,283 times
Marian - What part of the Valley are you?

My Grandfather gets assistance with Synergy HomeCare - In-Home Healthcare, Senior Care, Home Care, Memory Care, Assisted Living, Home Caregivers for Alzheimer's & Dementia. and I have nothing negative to say about them thus far. Additionally, if you caregiver is sick--they will provide a replacement which is great for emergencies.

These are also great agencies... if they do not directly service your area, they will know of a similar organization that would

Duet
rideplus - mobility for life

Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
I got excellent help on what resources were available for my elderly mother's situation from the Pima Council on Aging. I met with a counselor and she outlined for me assistance that would be appropriate in my mother's situation and also how I could get some support for my role as care-giver. I live in Southern Arizona, but there is a counterpart organization for Maricopa County. Here's a link to their website:
ADRC | Area Agency On Aging

The state also has an online screening tool that will help your friend assess his needs and obtain appropriate assistance. If he's in his nineties, he might need help with this process. The state's screening tools usually require a lot of information that is sometimes not readily at hand.
https://www.azdes.gov/main.aspx?menu=8&id=46

Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Another thing to keep in mind. Be very careful about the people allowed into the house. In the past, I've seen situations with "caregivers" that took advantage of their clients, either through neglect or theft. It's appalling, but something to consider.
Good advice. It's recommended to do background checks and extensive screenings of anybody you hire to care for loved ones. I had to hire a caregiver for my dad a few years ago, and I made sure that the one I chose was top notch ... not just the first person the agency sent over. Medicare often cuts corners and sends people out with questionable backgrounds, and this is why I'm hesitant about using Medicare for things like this. I had very specific requirements of the type of care needed, as well as the type of individual we preferred.

It's unfortunate that we have to be our own detectives ... however, there are too many slimebags out there who might be licensed care providers, but are nothing more than criminals who take advantage of the elderly. This happens all too often, so that's why you have to be skeptical and suspicious of anybody you hire. There's really only a small fraction of the population that can be fully trusted.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:04 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Good advice. It's recommended to do background checks and extensive screenings of anybody you hire to care for loved ones. I had to hire a caregiver for my dad a few years ago, and I made sure that the one I chose was top notch ... not just the first person the agency sent over. Medicare often cuts corners and sends people out with questionable backgrounds, and this is why I'm hesitant about using Medicare for things like this. I had very specific requirements of the type of care needed, as well as the type of individual we preferred.

It's unfortunate that we have to be our own detectives ... however, there are too many slimebags out there who might be licensed care providers, but are nothing more than criminals who take advantage of the elderly. This happens all too often, so that's why you have to be skeptical and suspicious of anybody you hire. There's really only a small fraction of the population that can be fully trusted.
A good thing to do is password protect any computer in your parents home if they use them and put all banking information in a small safe in which you have the combination to. Never let the care giver take your parent to the bank. We had a situation years back where my mom trusted a pot smoking, gal to take her shopping and then soon banking and she was very helpful....almost too helpful.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Hospice requires a doctor to say that the patient has an expected life span of six months due to terminal illness (Alzheimer's is appropriately so described, I would think) . If the patient is still alive after six months, it can be renewed the same way. I'd suggest that he discuss hospice with her doctor. In home hospice care is INCREDIBLY helpful.
I worked in home health for years. Just a dx of Alzheimer's won't get you hospice care automatically. Depends on the severity and other things. Early Alzheimer's probably won't. You don't just get Alzheimer's and become terminal. It's a process, sometimes very long and drawn out.
And, some docs won't order hospice till the very end. I've seen that, too, even w/ obviously terminally ill pts.
Of course, she should discuss it with the doc, but docs sometimes don't know what qualifies and doesn't qualify a person for medicare home care or even hospice home care or how much of it they can get and other specifics. It's got mountains of regulations and is constantly changing.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 02-02-2012 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area