U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 03:02 PM

27 posts, read 46,268 times

Advertisements

we are looking to buy house in chandler/gilbert region for under 150K. I don't want to endup paying more because of extra maintenance due to the age of the house. So what built year time frame is safe to look at? I would prefer a newer construction but just in case it won't fit into my budget then how far back I should go, 1990-1995? 1995-1999? 2000+ or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 03:08 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,447,914 times
Anything 10 years old that has not had the AC, water heater, and roof replaced is just a money pit waiting to happen. Flooring and interior fittings are at a point that they need attention too. Any included appliances are old. Looking at homes built after.. say 2003... often offers you a lot better insulation and most have much better (more efficient) windows.

We ended up building new after seeing the un-updated homes for sale in our area that were for sale for as much as a new home.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:21 PM

17,642 posts, read 36,094,706 times
The older the homes in my neighborhood, the better built they have proven to be (80's vs 90's). Yes, they've all had new ACs and water heaters (what house that age hasn't) They all have tile roofs, many have had the paper redone. Lots have had more upgrades than that. I would not write any house off just because of the age it was built. Builders vary A LOT. Look at the individual house in terms of what's been replaced, updated, the quality of the insulation, not the date it was built. If you find a house you like from what you can see, get an inspection to look for "money pit" issues. If it's too much to spend, then you can look elsewhere.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM

2,953 posts, read 6,792,909 times
What I've always been told is that most houses need serious upgrades every 25 years. So if you are looking at something over 20 years old see how old the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems are. The upshot to older homes is that the landscaping is often more mature. You don't need to wait for 5 years for a new tree to give you shade.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:36 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,521,157 times
If it has twist or push button light switches it's too old unless you've got lots of $$$$ for updates.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:20 PM

5,199 posts, read 7,874,574 times
One important thing that many people forget to update are smoke detectors. Smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years.

Also, when replacing the smoke detectors, get at least one photoelectric or dual-sensor model, which provide superior detection to slow smoldering fires. Also, consider at least one smoke/carbon monoxide combo detector. Do not mix different brands of smoke detectors if they are interconnected. The major brands are Kidde/FireX, BRK/First Alert, and USI Electric.

One way to tell if a smoke detector needs to be replaced is if they have a solid red light. On many older hardwired smoke detectors, the solid red light indicated that the detector is receiving AC power. Most (if not all) of the newest hardwired smoke detectors have two lights: a solid green light to indicate AC power, and a flashing red light to indicate operation. If there isn't a green light on your hardwired alarm, it needs to be replaced.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 01-31-2012 at 06:16 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 PM

5,363 posts, read 5,627,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The older the homes in my neighborhood, the better built they have proven to be (80's vs 90's). Yes, they've all had new ACs and water heaters (what house that age hasn't) They all have tile roofs, many have had the paper redone. Lots have had more upgrades than that. I would not write any house off just because of the age it was built. Builders vary A LOT. Look at the individual house in terms of what's been replaced, updated, the quality of the insulation, not the date it was built. If you find a house you like from what you can see, get an inspection to look for "money pit" issues. If it's too much to spend, then you can look elsewhere.

I have to agree here with this. Certainly there can be a case by case issue. But in general the older homes are better constructed. Some have cider block construction and others have a brick veneer. The styling may be dated. Some of the older styling is better. Too many of the newer homes have the garage sticking way outside in front of home.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:56 PM

6,039 posts, read 11,187,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Anything 10 years old that has not had the AC, water heater, and roof replaced is just a money pit waiting to happen.
Even a shingle roof lasts 20-30 years in the valley, and a water heater is a $500~ish repair. A/C units routinely last 15+ years, sometimes much longer.

You couldn't buy a heat pump as efficient as the one I bought three years ago for my "money pit" until ... three years ago.

So unless you're willing to only look at new homes, any house is going to be behind the curve - and many new homes don't have ALL the upgrades.

Builders often buy what's cheap, not what's best, and the things you're not looking for, are the places where they'll cut corners.

My parents moved into a new home a while back... it was upgraded to the hilt and 100% "move-in" ready.

Except... it didn't have a doorbell!

Who doesn't have a doorbell?

Why would a buyer have to ask if a new house has a doorbell?

But... $15 saved by the builder... they didn't ask, the builder didn't tell..

I love new homes in many ways, but I'd much rather have a great location & rehab to my own taste than take a new "Mc House " with a plethora of "semi-custom" <--- features...

Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,746,910 times
Something you may want to look out for in "older" houses (pre 1995?) are polybutylene pipes.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:04 AM

5,363 posts, read 5,627,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Something you may want to look out for in "older" houses (pre 1995?) are polybutylene pipes.
Yes, very good observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area