U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:45 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,651,128 times

Advertisements

20 years in Phoenix? Maybe in a mild summer climate like Flagstaff or even Prescott.

If you go to a HVAC discussion forum, they will state that 10 years in the brutal Phoenix heat is about the time AC units start dying off. Sure you can get MAYBE 15 years on a work horse unit but its efficiency will cost you $$$ in electric bills.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 08:50 PM

36,297 posts, read 46,509,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
20 years in Phoenix? Maybe in a mild summer climate like Flagstaff or even Prescott.

If you go to a HVAC discussion forum, they will state that 10 years in the brutal Phoenix heat is about the time AC units start dying off. Sure you can get MAYBE 15 years on a work horse unit but its efficiency will cost you $$$ in electric bills.
20 years mean time to replacement is correct.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:51 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,651,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyreinphx View Post
Shira- our home is seven years old. I play the weather game as long as possible. I open windows at night until the lows are too warm. I have the 12-7 plan so I turn up the AC at 12 to 82 and then turn it back down to 78-80 at 7pm. I keep it dark during the day and only run fans when I am in the room. I keep all the doors shut. It's VERY depressing for me during the summer. I like fresh air and lots of light but unfortunately we cannot afford 600-800 per month for our electricity.
Thank you for being honest. A lot of people don't like telling people the harsh reality of what a Phoenix summer brings. They like to paint a picture of some mild summer climate where they keep their homes at 72F and have imaginary electric bills of $200 a month.

When I visit some people in Phoenix during summer they have all their window shades drawn during the day like some type of dungeon. They try and keep the sun from baking their homes, especially if they have cheap single pane windows. I can understand what you mean about being "depressing", especially since you can't even open a window from June - October in Phoenix.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 PM

8,390 posts, read 10,917,288 times
Well, see, everyones is different by a hundred or two dollars. I know that sounds odd but I've found this to always be true. It depends greatly on habits, how cool your house is and high or low ceilings. Efficient cooling system, how it's vented, just about everything can make a difference. If it's a previously owned home you can check with the electric company for that address and get that specific homes electric bill. You can do that with gas or water as well. That way you can be more accurate for your specific dwelling. The only thing I hate is my bill everything else here is great! I'm currently moving though to a newer more efficient home. I think it will make a lot of difference. I have a very leaky home currently.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:26 PM

768 posts, read 1,654,435 times
Many houses built in AZ are energy inefficient and are part of poorly planned, cookie-cutter communities. Yes - utilities in AZ are extremely over-priced

Of all the places on the planet that should benefit for solar energy - it should be the state of AZ. Ignorance knows no ceiling.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,190,798 times
My two-story 2600 sq/ft home was built at the end of 2001. I have my AC units checked/serviced once a year. I've had to replace capacitors, etc. I am on a monthly payment plan with SRP that recently went up to 200.00/mo. Before that it was 180.00/mo. I used to keep the thermostat at about 76-all the time. This last summer I had to change it to 75. I don't know if the efficiency of my AC units is decreasing or if my hormones are to blame. . Probably a bit of both.

Granted, we don't have a pool. To me, it's never been worth the expense and hassle. (I just as soon go to South Beach with the money saved). But that's just me. We have a gas furnace and gas water heater.

Anyway, when the electric bill gets to be ridiculous, I would have the ducts inspected. Caulking helps too.

I'd also avoid houses that have a lot of windows with western sun exposure. The first home we had in Phoenix had a lot of windows on the west side of the house and it was a bear to keep it reasonably comfortable. I know a lot of people disagree, but in my experience N/S exposure is easiest on the wallet. I find carpeting stifling too. Dark colored tiles keep the home cooler too.

Where I live, builders insulate houses according to code-they do the minimum. I don't know if the insulation standards have been changed much in the past few years. Don't know why, but the minute you start talking about energy efficiency, alternative forms of energy, etc. a lot of people look at you like you're some kind of hippie retread involved in some commie conspiracy. Go figure.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:11 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 870,495 times
Quote:

Who cares what someone has to say on a forum. Here are a couple facts for you. My unit is original with my house which was built in 1995. My home is 2000 SF, no pool and my temp is set for 82 while I am away at work and reduces to 78 just before I get home. I have good insulation and installed sun screens. The highest bill I have had was $265 and my average monthly bill for the year is $95. Before you say I am just lucky, I know my neighbors on my street and ones around me and of the 20 homes, which were all built in the same time frame, not one has had to replace their unit. Since in a later post you say you "visit" Phoenix in the summer, maybe you should let the people who live here answer the question.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:07 PM

5,037 posts, read 8,663,194 times
As I've posted many times on this forum, we keep our house at 70 degrees around-the-clock. We're not on a time-of-use plan, since at least one of us is usually home. Our house is single story, almost 2200 sf, built in 2007, has ceiling fans running in all occupied rooms, and we have a pool. The highest bill we ever got was close to, but not quite, $400. Usually we run around $360/month during the worst of the summer and around $70/month during winter months. (We often do extra laundry too, beause of all the towels we use at the pool.)

Many factors come into play: the orientation of your house (N-S exposure is said to be best), whether you have shade trees along your southern and western sides, (or a full-length, covered patio), to keep the sun off your windows. Even having a two story next to you may shield some of the sun from your house. Sun screens help, as do better windows and insulation, and making sure your house doesn't have air leaks. Of course the energy efficiency of the a/c unit also plays a role.

In other words, there are MANY variables - as you see from the replies here.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,350,874 times
Wow, I thought my electric was high during the summer but it appears it's not bad considering it's 2800 sf, pool, single pane windows, vaulted ceilings and north/south exposure. My highest bill was $360.00. That's a lot but comparing it to others on here, I guess I'm not doing too bad.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:00 AM

8,217 posts, read 9,335,722 times
Quote:
Everyone who moves to Phoenix wants a pool but as they soon discover, their electric bill skyrockets with pools. Not to mention the cost of maintenance. Everyone I know has lived with a pool would NO LONGER ever buy a home with a pool. Except for the wealthy people, as they don't care what they pay for electricity.
A couple years back, Pentair (see For Pool Owners - Save Energy ) designed an extremely efficient pool pump called the IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump. It will save pool owners about 85% on their pool electric bills! A side benefit is that it's extremely quiet.

You will save over a Grand a year in Arizona. If I had a pool in AZ, I'd swap it out. It's the real deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>