Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:30 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times

Advertisements

I can speak from experience that sitting on a motorcycle in traffic on streets like Bell Ave, or Grand Ave in 110F+ heat is just torture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 06:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Why not just get him a used car?! I mean a decent motorcycle is going to be around $5000, you could buy a fair car for that amount.
My brother bought a used caprice, just like the cops drive and paid a whopping $3000 for it. When he got it the odometer had something like 105000 miles on it and now it's got 230000 miles on it. I just talked to him about it the other day and he commented "it's still running like new" and passed CA smog no problem. Public Liability and Property Damage insurance only so it's cheap.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:45 PM

441 posts, read 886,292 times
Whether scooter or motorcycle insist that he take the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. It will teach him how to ride safely.

Second off, insist on proper armored riding gear, helmet, gloves, boots, and jacket.

Standard denim jeans only last about 0.5 seconds in case of a fall, an most crashes are at low speeds (less than 30mph). Also the skin is not very abrasion resistant... Fact of the matter is he will have a crash at some point so it's better to be safe than sorry. I don't mean to put you off but you (and he) do need to be aware of the risks before going in. I also agree that high visibility clothing either vests, or the riding gear itself would be a good thing.

That said a starter motorcycle in the 250CC range should be better to start with. Options include a Honda Rebel or Honda CBR250R, Kawasaki Ninja, or V-Star 250 (by Yamaha). Buy used so that when it's dropped it won't be an issue (as compared to a new and more expensive motorcycle).

Also if you want to take the scooter route you have options like the Honda Elite or PCX, Yamaha Zuma 150, or Stella Buddy amongst others.

Good luck

Old 02-06-2012, 06:56 PM

484 posts, read 970,169 times
I rode for five years on a bike in Tucson as my only transport. I am very very lucky to have walked away from motorcycling without ever getting into an accident. I love biking but it is seriously dangerous.

Buy a car, but if you are going with a bike look into: small cc ninja (great resale and very reliable) or a honda rebel (bit underpowered though which is a danger too). Overall a "standard" style bike is great for commuting and is comfortable/provides good visibility/good resale generally.

CL is a good place to look.

Buy a car.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:08 PM

270 posts, read 1,110,110 times
Being a mom myself, I know a car is much safer than any bike. I truly appreciate all of your posts. I will talk to my sis and tell her what you all said. I guess it is going to be expensive to go the car route. We might be able to find a cheap AND reliable car, but being 18, his insurance will be very expensive. Plus, there will be repairs due to the car's age. I do not know what their budget is, but I think safety should trump that.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post
Being a mom myself, I know a car is much safer than any bike. I truly appreciate all of your posts. I will talk to my sis and tell her what you all said. I guess it is going to be expensive to go the car route. We might be able to find a cheap AND reliable car, but being 18, his insurance will be very expensive. Plus, there will be repairs due to the car's age. I do not know what their budget is, but I think safety should trump that.
If you get the right used car and cheap insurance it won't be that bad (we've got a 20 yr old) compared to the very real possibility of a lifetime of medical bills or to be blunt, worse case an organ donor.
When I was a teen I laid my bike down on average once a week (sometimes twice) and rode it all weather including snow one time. Helmets were used as turn signal protection (prior to CA helmet laws) and at 15 I broadsided a pickup truck (right into his passenger door) that turned in front of me at an intersection when I was going about 30+ miles an hour, no helmet btw. Luckily I literally walked away with only a bruised hip because of the way I hit him.
At 25 I moved up to a Harley, got full leathers including chaps and started wearing a helmet and if I went down my leathers were tested up to 100 mph to last until you stopped sliding.
Never did have to test 'em since I changed how I rode (figured out I wasn't all that invincible but was very invisible) and never broke 65 mph unlike on my last bikes.
With all that being said, I fully believe I'm paying the price NOW for what I did when young just like football players pay long after they leave the sport.

The big thing that's changed is traffic. There's way more now and people with all their distractions pay way less attention now so that's why a bike would never be my sole mode of transportation now.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 AM

62 posts, read 251,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post
If you think his insurance will be expensive for a car, wait until you get a quote for insurance on a motorcycle for an 18 yo. My 18 yo grandson tried to go that route - buy a used motorcycle. He could afford the motorcycle but when he got a quote for the insurance, there was no way he could afford it.

Everyone has given you good advice. Riding in traffic, with full leathers + helmet, in AZ? I would have to have a death wish to do that. Oh, and do you know how much good leathers, helmet, protective gloves, and boots cost?

Let's add this up: ~$5000 - motorcycle; ~$200 - motorcycle safety class; ~$2,000+ - boots, gloves, helmet, jacket, pants; insurance - ~$500/mo.; repairs and tires - more expensive than car repairs & tires.

Add in the risks of riding in traffic - get a cheap car! It will be much less expensive to buy a cheap car, not to mention, it might save his life!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 AM

62 posts, read 251,724 times
And btw, my husband and I each have a motorcycle so I know the costs of equipment, repairs, tires and insurance. We try NEVER to ride in city traffic. We stick to the freeways where we have plenty of room to get away from traffic, never ride at dusk, dawn, or after dark, and mostly on Sundays when there is less traffic (at least around here it is).

Motorcycles should be considered expensive toys - not commuters.

Last edited by jaceepc; 02-07-2012 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,341 times
If cost is a factor...bus pass.?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,995 times
Click HERE for a trip planner for using the Valley Metro bus system. I'm sure there are several students that take the bus to school. He could use the down time to study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area