Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:57 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Hmmmm...lets get micro. This forum is is mainly relocating people venting?

If so, I'd like to hear the ones that like Phx. Mix it up.

I, myself love the desert.
Phoenix isn't the desert. It's the world's largest, hottest parking lot.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:05 PM

48 posts, read 216,030 times
Well, I think the last several pages of posts pretty much sums it up. Some people are envious, and others just find them in bad taste.

I think Scottsdale is an okay place. Some of the friends I met in college came from Scottsdale. They were too naive, and spent and a lot of their parent's money. i.e. A friend of mine had a supposed nervous breakdown in her second year, she went to the school counselors, who helped her get a refund of her tuition. She took that refund and spent it - never telling her parents she had dropped out that semester. It bothered me because I work full-time and go to school full-time, so when she told me she was stressed (and that was the reason) - it really urked me. Second point, another scottsdale gal, her mother bought her a house in tempe. But the way she treats her mother is terrible (calling her a b*tch, asking her mother to buy the next coach purse when her mom just shelled out 450k). To say the very least, I don't "mingle" with them anymore. I guess with me it boils down to - they're given so much - yet they're not appreciative of it? They take it for granted and demand more. Obviously there's a difference from those who earn their money and those who are given it.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:52 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I don't think that kind of attitude "bugged" me in particular but it made the place definitely less welcoming, at least to me and my vibe. This is especially true since I am single and the people I met out in the Valley were just a different breed from people I was used to back East. Scottsdale is just the ultimate manifestation of that attitude in the Valley. The same attitude is also found in Southern California, which is why I really don't like it there very much either.

The whole LA-PHX culture seems to be very celebrity obsessed and very into "pop culture." People seemed to be insecure because of their lack of "pedigree" and thus over compensate for that with materialism. Just not my style and I just found it rather annoying. I wasn't jealous, I would much rather have my degrees than a garage full of Hummers. I think it is just a totally different outlook on life and what is important. If I suddenly fell into millions of dollars I would much rather buy a historic home in Beacon Hill than some sprawling, one story place with three pools in Scottsdale (or PV, or SoCal for that matter).
You know, this statement is true. However, I didn't have a problem with the attitude while I lived out there b/c I came from a state in which the attitude is the same as SoCal or PHX. The people in the Valley and in SoCal are a different breed than people on the East Coast, excluding FL. Except that in FL it's done with even more attitude. So when I moved to PHX the people weren't any different from what I encountered in FL and I adapted pretty well and I liked the people in the Valley. However, if you come from the Midwest or the East Coast the peeps in PHX would seem like a different breed.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolaterie View Post
Well, I think the last several pages of posts pretty much sums it up. Some people are envious, and others just find them in bad taste.

I think Scottsdale is an okay place. Some of the friends I met in college came from Scottsdale. They were too naive, and spent and a lot of their parent's money. i.e. A friend of mine had a supposed nervous breakdown in her second year, she went to the school counselors, who helped her get a refund of her tuition. She took that refund and spent it - never telling her parents she had dropped out that semester. It bothered me because I work full-time and go to school full-time, so when she told me she was stressed (and that was the reason) - it really urked me. Second point, another scottsdale gal, her mother bought her a house in tempe. But the way she treats her mother is terrible (calling her a b*tch, asking her mother to buy the next coach purse when her mom just shelled out 450k). To say the very least, I don't "mingle" with them anymore. I guess with me it boils down to - they're given so much - yet they're not appreciative of it? They take it for granted and demand more. Obviously there's a difference from those who earn their money and those who are given it.
You can't blame Scottsdale for the above examples! You know who is to blame?
The parents! Yes, they are to blame for raising their kids the way they turned out. Of course there is the genetical factor and a bit of the environment/friends that could easily have some affect on the person but the most of the character a person has is home made.
I think today's kids lack a good buttwhuppin' when due, called me old skool but that is the way I see it. When the verbal training fails even if applies correctly, then it is time for a little bit of physical education!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:06 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,051 times
Talking ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
Phoenix isn't the desert. It's the world's largest, hottest parking lot.
*nodding my head in agreement*

Ain't that the truth! Phoenix was one of the nicest places to live, now it's just an overgrown parking lot.
It didn't take long either. This place has changed so fast!
I want my city back!

Old 09-07-2007, 07:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
*nodding my head in agreement*

Ain't that the truth! Phoenix was one of the nicest places to live, now it's just an overgrown parking lot.
It didn't take long either. This place has changed so fast!
I want my city back!
Unfortunately; I understand your point.

When I first visited this place in 1990; I really liked it, today I am not so sure------but, compared to, say Wash DC (I am a native from there) the Valley is still Nirvana

In all fairness though; I still get a lot of the Old School vibe along Indian School etc. from about 15th Ave to Scottsdale.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:38 PM

24 posts, read 23,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
You can't blame Scottsdale for the above examples! You know who is to blame?
The parents! Yes, they are to blame for raising their kids the way they turned out. Of course there is the genetical factor and a bit of the environment/friends that could easily have some affect on the person but the most of the character a person has is home made.
I think today's kids lack a good buttwhuppin' when due, called me old skool but that is the way I see it. When the verbal training fails even if applies correctly, then it is time for a little bit of physical education!
Yes the parents are to blame ... for raising kids in Scottsdale's mediocre schools. People and realtors love to say "good schools" but with no actual data or findings to back that up. Scottsdale schools may be "good" relative to the rest of Arizona (whose schools rank 50th in the nation, dead last) and are still lousy compared to the rest of the country. They churn out lazy indifferent idiots.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfthorley View Post
Yes the parents are to blame ... for raising kids in Scottsdale's mediocre schools. People and realtors love to say "good schools" but with no actual data or findings to back that up. Scottsdale schools may be "good" relative to the rest of Arizona (whose schools rank 50th in the nation, dead last) and are still lousy compared to the rest of the country. They churn out lazy indifferent idiots.

Desert Mountain and Chaparral Make Top 1300 High School List
6/07/2007
Desert Mountain High School and Chaparral High School were named as two of the top 1300 high schools in the country, according to Newsweek's Web site. Desert Mountain and Chaparral are two of a handful of public high schools in Arizona to make the list. Desert Mountain was ranked 845th, and Chaparral was ranked 1057th on the list. Chaparral made the Newsweek list in 2006, 2005 and 2003. To view the complete list, please visit Newsweek.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
6/07/2007
Desert Mountain High School and Chaparral High School were named as two of the top 1300 high schools in the country, according to Newsweek's Web site. Desert Mountain and Chaparral are two of a handful of public high schools in Arizona to make the list. Desert Mountain was ranked 845th, and Chaparral was ranked 1057th on the list. Chaparral made the Newsweek list in 2006, 2005 and 2003. To view the complete list, please visit Newsweek.
I almost forgot - Basis Center in Tucson is number 6 on that list. Not ALL AZ schools suck as you would have people to believe.6BASIS Charter TucsonAriz.8.154 -n/a-92

Old 09-07-2007, 07:24 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
6/07/2007

1057th is that a good thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area