Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:34 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,090 times

Advertisements

Okay...this has been on my mind ever since I found this forum. I keep reading posts about "Snottsdale", phoney millionaires, plastic women, etc., etc. and about how horrid, stupid, idiotic the people are....how fake, rude, etc. How glad some posters are to escape evil Scottsdale.

I just don't get the hatred thing. I see the women with the fake boobs, I see the guys on the cell phones in their sports cars, I see the sports stars shopping at AJ's with their modified wives. Yes, I see all this outward stuff but it doesn't affect me one way or the other. I might giggle if the boobs are super huge and nudge my husband, but other than that I'm not damaged or suffering PTSD from this stuff.

Why do some of you get so riled up about this? I mean, who cares how other people dress, or what kind of car they drive or if they do or don't have enough money to sustain that life style. I don't. I have my life, I'm happy, hope they are happy.

Somebody pls explain why these people affect you so.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:15 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
The Scottsdale bashing strikes me as envy. These whiners are pathetic losers who could not make it here. Scottsdale is a metaphor for the success that has eluded them here in the Phoenix area. They blame everything on the weather, the traffic, rude people, scorpions and, of course, the valley city that is emblematic of achievement, Scottsdale. It does not take a careful reading of the posts to realize that they themselves are the root of their ills. Why try to understand them? They don't matter and they will fade into the internet soon enough.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 09-05-2007 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-05-2007, 07:39 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,286 times
Smile jealousy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Okay...this has been on my mind ever since I found this forum. I keep reading posts about "Snottsdale", phoney millionaires, plastic women, etc., etc. and about how horrid, stupid, idiotic the people are....how fake, rude, etc. How glad some posters are to escape evil Scottsdale.

I just don't get the hatred thing. I see the women with the fake boobs, I see the guys on the cell phones in their sports cars, I see the sports stars shopping at AJ's with their modified wives. Yes, I see all this outward stuff but it doesn't affect me one way or the other. I might giggle if the boobs are super huge and nudge my husband, but other than that I'm not damaged or suffering PTSD from this stuff.

Why do some of you get so riled up about this? I mean, who cares how other people dress, or what kind of car they drive or if they do or don't have enough money to sustain that life style. I don't. I have my life, I'm happy, hope they are happy.

Somebody pls explain why these people affect you so.
They are just jealous - plain and simple. Scottsdale has everything from kids in apartments to super rich people. I love the diversity, the opportunities, the cleaniness of the area and if I had to live anywhere else in the Phoenix, I couldn't do it. It's not as plastic as like they claim. The ENTIRE area of Phoenix is full of plastic people, it seems to be all the rage now. I've found Scottsdale to be mainly families with nice jobs, who value great schools, up to date infrastructure, and family values.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 AM

283 posts, read 989,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
These whiners are pathetic losers who could not make it here. Scottsdale is a metaphor for the success that has alluded them here in the Phoenix area.
Oh PLEASE - they are phonies and would get laughed out of town if they acted like that in Boston or NYC - you don't need to "make it" to drive a fancy car or get a boob job. Just a willingness to get into debt to attempt to impress other people, which is quite easy to do given the structure of our financial system. They will pay down the road, believe me.. The real "winners" are the ones who don't flaunt wealth, but quietly invest and manage their finances wisely..
(PS it's "ELUDED" not "ALLUDED"... )

Old 09-05-2007, 08:21 AM

92 posts, read 473,328 times
Scottsdale will always have that stigma. I have alot of friends there. I think's is beautiful. I would personally not live there, but it doesn't mean it isn't a great place. I just prefer Gilbet if I was to move back. There is an attitude that is different there than most valley cities. To some extenet it's keeping up with Joneses, but Gilbert is that way too.

I live in the Seattle area and there are plenty of plastic types here too! They live in the burbs here. Medina and Bellevue are especially bad. But every major city has a place like this. At least most of Scottsdale is safe. If you don't like it, don't live there.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
Oh PLEASE - they are phonies and would get laughed out of town if they acted like that in Boston or NYC - you don't need to "make it" to drive a fancy car or get a boob job. Just a willingness to get into debt to attempt to impress other people, which is quite easy to do given the structure of our financial system. They will pay down the road, believe me.. The real "winners" are the ones who don't flaunt wealth, but quietly invest and manage their finances wisely..
Thanks, Dave. I fixed the error to which you allude.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:33 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,286 times
Smile Scottsdale - By invitation only <rolling my eyes>

Quote:
You know as well as I do that what you are saying is not true. I would challenge you to find many "Scottsdale fake people" who's homes are falling into foreclosure.
People who move to Scottsdale, are most likely financially secure and professionally successful. There are areas of Gilbert, Chandler, Ahwatukee, Phoenix, Prescott and others, that are beautiful with wealthy individuals. Are they fake and going to go broke too? I doubt it.
The people who will take a financial hit during this downturn are the speculators who bought during the tail end of the real estate market fury. I don't know a single person in Scottsdale who was stupid enough to do so at that time - and I know A LOT of people in this wonderful city.

I think you mistake Scottsdale as this city where people "flaunt" their wealth and that's just not true. It may appear that way to YOU because when someone who does not live around here, comes to Scottsdale, I think they are blown away by how consistantly well kept up it is. Scottsdale prides itself on how clean it is and it offers ammenities and culture that many other areas do not offer.
Phoenix has some nice neighborhoods, but because they are scattered throughout the area they are difficult to find. Unfortunately, the reality of Phoenix is that finding a safe neighborhood with excelling schools is hit or miss.
The newest areas of Phoenix (Valencia, etc.) are some of the nicest ones but they are SO far out there that unless you actually LIVE there you won't ever see them.
If you dont like coming to Scottsdale and enjoying our consistantly clean neighborhoods and activities, then don't come here! I'm not going to apologize for the fact that the majority of people who live here are educated and professional. Even our "poor" areas are cleaner and safer than many parts of Phoenix and the surrounding cities.
Back off on the fakeness of the Scottsdale people. Like I've said before - the entire city of Phoenix and the surrounding areas fall into that catagory. It seems to be "the thing to do" here. I think it's just the image of the "new" Southwest. Go on some of the websites that mock Scottsdale and Phoenix. You will see that the people who end of on the websites are generally from all over the valley.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:43 AM

283 posts, read 989,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
You know as well as I do that what you are saying is not true.
Really now, why would I post something I know not to be true? Believe, we have many people far richer around Boston than anyone in Scottsdale - but you'd never know it. Bunch of plastic, materialistic, self-centered phonies in Scottsdale. Sorry if you don't like that characterization..

Old 09-05-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Really now, why would I post something I know not to be true? Believe, we have many people far richer around Boston than anyone in Scottsdale - but you'd never know it. Bunch of plastic, materialistic, self-centered phonies in Scottsdale. Sorry if you don't like that characterization..
The topic is "why the animosity" - not "let's show a little animosity". So why do you have so much bitterness toward a city and a part of the United States that your posts suggest you know nothing about?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 AM

235 posts, read 922,595 times
Default High School all over again

Hating Scottsdale is the intellectual equivalent of hating the prom queen. It's unfortunate that many people never grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area