Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 11,265 times

Advertisements

Hi All. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is very difficult to get into Phoenix Country Day? I know the price is high but I also hear that admission isn't automatic just because you can afford it. How competitive/difficult/political is it to get in? I'm looking to start there from the lower school. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmama2009 View Post
Hi All. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is very difficult to get into Phoenix Country Day? I know the price is high but I also hear that admission isn't automatic just because you can afford it. How competitive/difficult/political is it to get in? I'm looking to start there from the lower school. Thanks.
My children attend PCD. It is a multi-step process that includes interviews, an application process and depending on the school, an exam of some sort in addition to recommendations from previous schooling.

There are many excellent schools in the Valley and not being accepted to PCD will not deprive your child of an excellent education. Brophy, Xavier, Rancho Solano, Chandler public schools, Scottsdale Public schools, Basis Great Hearts, there is a lot, if I'm leaving out some schools, forgive me but there are many and they are in every section of the Valley. I chose PCD not for it's reputation but for it's fit. I felt it truly fit my children well. Examine your values and what you want instilled in your child but more importantly find a school in which you think your child can excel and feel comfortable in. If your child is happy and loves going to school and feels they are in a supportive environment, that is "the best school" if you know what I mean. That's all you can really ask for.

I wanted a school with a relatively small class size, little to no religious affiliation, a reputation for placing students at nationally recognized universities and a very supportive environment. Ultimately, my childrens' happiness and confidence were most important to me. I didn't want them to be in an environment where they didn't felt they could succeed or feel intimidated. I could care less about school rankings or how others perceive their school. I would have been more than happy to send my children to excellent public schools if they were happy in that environment. I have a friend whose child atttended a public school and will start at Duke next fall so you don't have to attend a private school to receive an excellent education. Don't play the political game or fake your way into a school. You are interviewing the school as much as they are interviewing you. If PCD is not a match for you and your child, try other options.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 02-20-2012 at 10:28 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 PM

122 posts, read 272,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
My children attend PCD. It is a multi-step process that includes interviews, an application process and depending on the school, an exam of some sort in addition to recommendations from previous schooling.

There are many excellent schools in the Valley and not being accepted to PCD will not deprive your child of an excellent education. Brophy, Xavier, Rancho Solano, Chandler public schools, Scottsdale Public schools, Basis Great Hearts, there is a lot, if I'm leaving out some schools, forgive me but there are many and they are in every section of the Valley. I chose PCD not for it's reputation but for it's fit. I felt it truly fit my children well. Examine your values and what you want instilled in your child but more importantly find a school in which you think your child can excel and feel comfortable in. If your child is happy and loves going to school and feels they are in a supportive environment, that is "the best school" if you know what I mean. That's all you can really ask for.

I wanted a school with a relatively small class size, little to no religious affiliation, a reputation for placing students at nationally recognized universities and a very supportive environment. Ultimately, my childrens' happiness and confidence were most important to me. I didn't want them to be in an environment where they didn't felt they could succeed or feel intimidated. I could care less about school rankings or how others perceive their school. I would have been more than happy to send my children to excellent public schools if they were happy in that environment. I have a friend whose child atttended a public school and will start at Duke next fall so you don't have to attend a private school to receive an excellent education. Don't play the political game or fake your way into a school. You are interviewing the school as much as they are interviewing you. If PCD is not a match for you and your child, try other options.
Well said. Fit is important for success. But the most important determinant in a student's success is the priority his/her parents put on education.

My info is *way* out of date, but PCDS used to be very structured. Tons of rote homework and the kids were not allowed to walk or sit on the grass (other than playing fields). I'm not sure if that's still the case.

I don't think I've ever heard Scottsdale Public Schools and "excellent" in the same sentence. It's truly wonderful if things have changed and that's now the case.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 11,265 times
thanks for all your input. i agree with all those things azriverfan said. those are all the qualities that i consider important hence my focus on this school. i just heard so many different stories about getting admitted at the prek level. thanks again.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtrails View Post
My info is *way* out of date, but PCDS used to be very structured. Tons of rote homework and the kids were not allowed to walk or sit on the grass (other than playing fields).
Rote memorization and homework is a skill and discipline that must be mastered in order for a student to excel at the collegiate and graduate school level. Of course, it depends on your child's goals but if he or she is seeking to enter a competitive college and perhaps consider graduate school one day then a structured environment would be preferable.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmama2009 View Post
thanks for all your input. i agree with all those things azriverfan said. those are all the qualities that i consider important hence my focus on this school. i just heard so many different stories about getting admitted at the prek level. thanks again.
I would try to keep an open mind and form your own opinion while you go through the process.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 PM

20 posts, read 53,636 times
Default Brophy vs. Phoenix Country Day school

We are deciding between Brophy and Phoenix Country day for our high school kids. Aside from price, is one better for college than other? We are Jewish, but Brophy does not care. Hear that PCD is 2-5 hours a night. Athletics are better at Brophy, but PCD is coed and non-religious. Any opinions would be really appreciated!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstwins View Post
We are deciding between Brophy and Phoenix Country day for our high school kids. Aside from price, is one better for college than other? We are Jewish, but Brophy does not care. Hear that PCD is 2-5 hours a night. Athletics are better at Brophy, but PCD is coed and non-religious. Any opinions would be really appreciated!
I think both are excellent schools but I think PCD has stronger academics and offers less distractions. Brophy is an excellent school but athletics and the social scene seem to be fairly prominent as well.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:03 AM

20 posts, read 53,636 times
Thank you. My concern with PCD is that it is too academic/not enough downtime for one of my boys.
For Brophy, we are Jewish...they are ok with that...when you say socializing, do there seem to be drugs?
Does anyone know about that?
Our goal is well semi-rigorous ed, good athletics..good college, probablyout of state.

Just to add, one of my kids has some learning disabilities..both schools know. Just don't want him struggling for next 4 years..the other is a good student...would that influence anyone's decision?
Thanks.

Last edited by Kimballette; 03-02-2012 at 09:27 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstwins View Post
Thank you. My concern with PCD is that it is too academic/not enough downtime for one of my boys.
For Brophy, we are Jewish...they are ok with that...when you say socializing, do there seem to be drugs?
Does anyone know about that?
Our goal is well semi-rigorous ed, good athletics..good college, probablyout of state.

Just to add, one of my kids has some learning disabilities..both schools know. Just don't want him struggling for next 4 years..the other is a good student...would that influence anyone's decision?
Thanks.
Based on what you are describing, Brophy would probably be a better fit. They seem to offer a better balance between personal life and homework. However, I think schools like PCD and Brophy would be a little too intense for you child. Yes, PCD may be more rigorous but it's not that much more rigorous than Brophy. If my child had learning disabilities and struggled with a rigorous curriculum, I wouldn't send him to PCD or Brophy. Brophy is not "semi-rigorous", it is rigorous. Brophy is a competitive school, do you really want him to struggle and receive average to poor grades just so you can say he goes to Brophy?

Find a school that fits your child. Don't try to force your child to adapt to a school.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-02-2012 at 11:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area