U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 PM

188 posts, read 122,000 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am always open to suggestions. I will more than likely be moving out in a yr. Something like Mar-May since I end my associates degree program in July 2013. I will still have about 2 months left in studying while looking for a job and not go crazy. I hope to go and study for a bachelors degree when I move to az at asu. I just have to move from ky. its too stressful and it wears my health down being in this atmosphere. When it's time to go its time to go. Plus i have the time and funds to move so might as well go for my dreams.
I cannot wait for the moment that i drive out my driveway for the last time and move on to opportunity. I live where its 45mins to get a decent job... we all know that gas will take up my whole pay check. Plus, Its time that i go for my dreams. ky climate is not so easy on the body. Hate the people here too. If someone can just up and leave everything, you know that they are unhappy with their life.
Have a great day everybody! Adele
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the great information. It makes sense. I will move then look for a job. I forgot that az has that rule to get a dr. lic. within 10 days of moving. Makes sense about the job too. Thanks so much.
Adele

Old 03-13-2012, 02:43 PM

10,247 posts, read 13,441,485 times
You will want to get your Bachelors degree at a bare minumum. I don't know anyone that has an AA or AS degree that got them a job. That is unless they are an RN. Then again we have stopped hiring RN's that don't have Bachelors degrees unless they have some time behind the Nursing wheel. With an Associates degree it will be your background that gets you the job and not your education. I would say keep plugging at it till you are done.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:57 PM

I totally understand what you are saying. However, I need to leave ky. I have the time now to leave and the funds. If I stay here i will just continue to loose money on gas back and forth. SO that is y i made the decision to move to my dream state. I will more than likely get a call center job until i can get my bachelor's degree- at least that is the plan. i just feel that since i am staying here, i am losing money.
i am currently on unemployment that barely pays my bills until nov2012 and will try to work a job in etown (45 mins away) for a few months til i am closer to graduation. i hate losing money when i do not have to.
Adele

Old 03-13-2012, 03:59 PM

10,247 posts, read 13,441,485 times
adele b,

I am not saying not to go after your dreams. I would just say that stay or go, you may want to get your Bachelors degree completed. I have a family member that moved in with my parents and went to work for Lowe's and is doing well with that job. She now has a 2003 Toyota Corrolla and will be getting her own place soon. She does not have a degree of any kind but doesn't mind where she is at with her life. You see it is not imposible to make it without an education. Still it is prefered. An education can open doors for you that will enable you to have a better life.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:26 PM

10 posts, read 20,886 times
If your on unemployment, this would be a great time to move since you have atleast some income. I know you said you dont want your bachelors but you should really look into transfering to ASU and getting your bachelors. That way you get to live in the phoenix area while getting your degree. Plus this will allow you to intern at companies during school so you can line up a good job when you graduate. Good luck

Old 03-14-2012, 10:46 PM

144 posts, read 153,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele b View Post
I decided to get my degree (which I am doing now) I graduate in Aug 2013 (another yr and a few months to go). Associates in Organizational Management. I hope to use my degree to help companies make good choices.
I hate to break it to you, but there are far too many unemployed people with Bachelor's degrees. An associates "degree" usually isn't even considered by employers (unless the pay grade is slightly higher than min wage).

Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,449,053 times
Regardless of education or job experience, I offer this simple advice with pounding the pavement as an out of towner in Phoenix. Get a 480 or 602 area code on your cellphone. Employers will be more apt to take you seriously as opposed to applying with a contact # in your present area code.Also,pay a few bucks and open up a PO Box in the Phoenix area. Many people have PO Box's so you look like a local. Best of luck !

Old 03-15-2012, 06:28 PM

711 posts, read 685,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele b View Post
I decided to get my degree (which I am doing now) I graduate in Aug 2013 (another yr and a few months to go). Associates in Organizational Management. I hope to use my degree to help companies make good choices.
So you mean you'd be a consultant? Heck, you can do that sort of thing from anywhere. I'll warn you that consultants are a dime a dozen - heck, the hospital where I work is swarming with them. Most of them are based elsewhere; they have a home office in some major location and they fly around to meet with their customers, or they do conference calls or Skype calls. In that sort of biz, they're going to be just as interested in your track record (companies you've helped "make good choices") as your educational history.

My advice: visit as often as you can. You might find after visiting a couple/few times that you might not like the place - or you may fall in love with it. But while you're there visiting, network like crazy so that you're not moving to a blank slate.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:15 PM

55 posts, read 55,348 times
I was heading the opposite direction a few years back, from Arizona to New York. I was able to get significant interest in my resume, and line up quite a few interviews that I "batched" into week-long trips back out here. After about two months, though, it was too taxing to continue, and I booked a one-way ticket and had a job lined up in about two weeks. Not sure how much of it was luck in timing, but from the previous interviews I was doing with an Arizona address, I was not getting any callbacks.

Shortly (as in within a month), we will be doing the trip in reverse - heading back to Arizona for my wife's health issues. Fortunately, though, I am able to return my current position and work remotely for my current employer.

Best of luck to you! Big moves like yours are intimidating, and the anxiety around the process are unavoidable, in my experience. Just keep your determination, and it will pay off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area