U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:01 PM

21 posts, read 5,339 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the Value Place Extended Stay Hotel at I-17 and Dunlap. I am looking for an affordable place for a month while I do some contract work.

Is the neighborhood ok/safe?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thank you.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 04:33 PM

798 posts, read 776,609 times
Will you be parking a car in an unattended lot? It's a high auto-theft area. Other than that, you're probably okay. I used to work near there and felt fairly safe walking around in the daytime. Being a female, I'd probably use caution and not walk alone at night around there (or any central city neighborhood).

Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
Will you be parking a car in an unattended lot? It's a high auto-theft area. Other than that, you're probably okay. I used to work near there and felt fairly safe walking around in the daytime. Being a female, I'd probably use caution and not walk alone at night around there (or any central city neighborhood).
Thank you.

I would be parking in the hotel parking lot which I am sure is unattended.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:03 AM

6,120 posts, read 5,851,481 times
Agree with Chris 100%. You could do MUCH worse. Consider picking up a bar thingy for the steering wheel, don't leave stuff in the car, and don't sweat it. Unfortunately, car theft IS a problem in Phoenix and Tucson in general, not just that area. Do ask for one of the quieter rooms as I would imagine the highway noise might be an issue in some of the rooms.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 AM

3,329 posts, read 2,937,429 times
I stayed at the Budget Lodge Downtown Phoenix for 3 nights in May '10. Nothing fancy but the place was clean and dirt cheap. The reviews online are inline with my opinion. I've recommended this place a few other times here on C-D and mention it to others when the talk about visiting Phoenix.

Budget Lodge Downtown Phoenix (Phoenix, AZ) - Motel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 AM

89 posts, read 103,791 times
I stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn in the area, and the parking is walled in with the units. No issues at all. We're staying at the Courtyard Marriott next month, a little north of there on I-17. Is it any better there?

Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 AM

Thanks for all of the great responses.

I am looking more for a budget/apartment/suite style hotel that offer competitive monthly rates.

Since I am getting a flat consulting fee and no Per diem, I am trying to keep my expenses low without compromising a whole lot on safety and convenience.

I am also looking at the Studio 6 locations in Tempe at 1-10/Baseline and Deer Valley.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:50 AM

798 posts, read 776,609 times
Where will you be working, dallasdan? Tempe is a long way from I-17 and Dunlap. And Deer Valley is farther north on I-17. Any hotel close to a freeway will be in a potentially high car theft target area, I'm afraid, especially up and down I-17. It's just easy for the car nabbers to do their work quickly and get away. Not likely to be a victim of other crime, but do what Jkgourmet suggested and take extra care in not making your vehicle a target.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
Where will you be working, dallasdan? Tempe is a long way from I-17 and Dunlap. And Deer Valley is farther north on I-17. Any hotel close to a freeway will be in a potentially high car theft target area, I'm afraid, especially up and down I-17. It's just easy for the car nabbers to do their work quickly and get away. Not likely to be a victim of other crime, but do what Jkgourmet suggested and take extra care in not making your vehicle a target.
I will be working at two locations, one in North Central Phoenix and one in South Scottsdale.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 PM

5 posts, read 2,514 times
I stayed at the I17/Dunlap location last October for 7 nights. Overall, I was very satisfied and I 'd stay there again. The property is well maintaned, and a super lives on the premises 24/7. I saw no evidence of any of the shenanigans one encounters at some extended stay budget hotels in Phoenix, you know, the wife beater wearing crowd working on their pickups, creepy dudes standing in their doorways with a can of beer in one hand, etc. All the rooms open into the hallways, and the whole building and individual suites are card access. I stayed on the first floor towards the back of the building and I never heard any freeway traffic, just the occasional shower turning on or sometimes a faint voice in the distance. The one drawback, and it's pretty big, is the beds. They're awful. The mattresses are very thin and provide no support, very much like a pullout sofa. i woke up very stiff and in pain. You might be different. Consider an inexpensive foam topper if you'll be stying for any length of time. Really. As far as car theft, the lot is well lit, wide open, and there's only one way in and out. Could it happen? Sure, it's Phoenix.

You'll be in the northern reaches of West Phoenix. The area feels a bit edgy at times, but it's safe. Go north to West Peoria Ave and it starts to feel suburban very quickly. The immediate neighborhood consists of mid 50's block homes to the west along 28th Avenue (a small resdential street), West Dunlap Avenue to the north, and North 27th Avenue (which acts as the i17 frontage/business road) in front of the building. You're forced to exit from the lot right, and then quickly choose I17 South or 27th Avenue South which leads to West Northern Avenue. It's a very diverse area and you can get anything you want in a one or two mile radius. The southern entrance to Metrocenter is at West Dunlap and 31st Ave. The mall is kind of crummy, but there is every kind of store on the ring road surrounding the mall. Along West Dunlap and West Peoria Aves, you've got more retail variety than I have within a 20 mile radius of me here in Boston, much of it open 24 hrs. Don't miss Romanellis Deli at 3437 West Dunlap, my favorite lunch spot, and the real thing.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area