Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,549 times

Advertisements

Hi,
so it looks like i will be leaving the security of my home town of Montreal, Quebec Canada for a new adventure in Phoenix. My husband was just offered a position in Phoenix and he is itching to leave Montreal. What i need to know is where do we move to? His office will be in the downtown area. I don't know anything about Phoenix can someone tell me what areas are best for families? I have two kids a boy who is almost 6 and an 15 month old girl.
thanks for your advise!

yola
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 03:42 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,602,460 times
Gilbert, Ahwatukee, Most of Chandler, Parts of Mesa, Scottsdale (the drive would be an issue).

Surprise and Peoria are both nice family areas but both are too far from Downtown for a daily commute. I live in Surprise.

If I was working Downtown I would look at Ahwatukee first then Gilbert second.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:29 PM

64 posts, read 282,722 times
Don't forget your asbestos suit.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:31 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,739,775 times
You might want to look at N.Phoenix areas. There are some very nice neighborhoods there. Cavecreek Rd above Deer Valley is very nice. I would agree that if your husband is working anywhere downtown that the west side would be a battle on the freeway. We recently met two Canadian transplants at a chamber function. Welcome!

Old 09-08-2007, 02:48 PM

611 posts, read 2,306,951 times
Welcome soon to AZ!

I would not rule out any area around Phoenix yet. Drive time to work is not always the most important factor in deciding where to buy a home. In my opinion, schools, home price range, development amenities, and community friendliness are more important. There are some wonderful family oriented master planned communities with great schools around the Phoenix area that are worth the drive.

Home price range and desired size of home are big factors here in Phoenix. Sharing your preferences with us could help us suggest communities/areas that you may want to look at in your search. Best wishes!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:23 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,098 times
Prepare yourself for the heat...we do have really great winter though they are very short. I think the best place to live is the east valley: Tempe, Chandler, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Higley, Mesa, Queen Creek. In that order. In my opinion I prefer south Tempe because of the Kyrene School District is really pretty good, there is a mixture of cultures and everyone seems to get a long, the area is really nice and convenient. There are numerous shopping and entertainment venues, parks, and family activities. It is not too far from down town PHX-just hop on the freeway. I love Tempe because it is not too conservative and it is very diverse and peaceful for the most part. I don't mean to imply it is crime free by any stetch of the imagingation. You would need to do research to see what areas of the city are the safest. The west-side has some advantages too. Housing is typically cheaper, but I would not choose to live there. There is just too much gang activity, violent crime, and traffic and I don't think the school districts in that area can compete with Kyrene. However, the west is developing and I am not that familiar with the new schools. I hope this is helpful. I do not wish to be offensive to anyone. I am simply offering my personal opinion. I think overall home is largely going to depend on what u make of it. Welcome to the Valley of the Sun

Old 09-11-2007, 04:52 PM

7 posts, read 19,028 times
You should stay as close to the central area as possible, commuting is expensive and long. I would strongly recommend the North and North Central Phoenix area, Moon Valley (7th Street and Thunderbird area) is very nice, has good schools and would be an easy drive to downtown. You can buy a nice home in this area from $250,000 up - watch the real estate market, people (investors and agents) got greedy a few years back and paid too much thinking the market would continue upward. It didn't, and a lot is going to foreclosure, you may be able to buy something for what it's actually worth instead of the inflated stuff we saw in '04 and '05. Get a home with a pool, make sure your kids learn to swim, and have whatever you purchase thoroughly inspected, termites are a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area