Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:57 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1zabeth View Post
However, the scheduling is not seeming that different than from where we are from.
Bingo! That is because people on this forum exaggerate the heat. If it was as bad as they suggest, the scheduling would be different. Contrary to what is perpetuated here, the city does not shut down during the summer months. Children are not imprisoned indoors all day.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-01-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 04:23 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,033 times
For little kids in soccer, they put in some extra water breaks in the games and water breaks are very frequent in practices, too. Coaches usually bring extra water in case a kid forgets their's or runs out. And they're trained to be alert for signs of heat exhaustion. At least us AYSO volunteers were. The older kids have usually learned to pre-hydrate for games in the heat.

You can buy a spray bottle with a battery operated fan attached to cool the kids on water breaks with (and to cool yourself). Like $4 at Walmart. Bring an EZ-Up shelter or a sun umbrella for shade for yourself and during breaks, for the kids. Most of the season you don't need it all but when you do, you do.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 PM

33 posts, read 78,956 times
El1zabeth,

Moved to San Tan Valley this past July, and both my kids are in sports. They are 12 and 14 years old, btw.

My son (12) played football from July through October....in the heat....in full football pads....5 days per week. Practice started at 5:30pm and ended at 8:00pm. Games were every Saturday either at 12Noon or 2:00pm.

We are from the midwest, so in my mind, this heat was the worst sort of evil for a child! Full pads? During the day? When its 110 degrees? I couldn't understand. But you know what? He was fine. All the kids were. No heat exhaustion, no one falling over.

Like previous posters stated, hydrate all day long.

Also, he is playing soccer as well!

Old 03-01-2012, 06:07 PM

603 posts, read 946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I take it most people here didn't play sports growing up? I find some of the comments to be truly funny because that's because I remember what it was like to play in a tennis tournament in February with ice on the courts or playing soccer with bone chilling wind and frozen ice wearing sweats and gloves. We are so concerned when it's a little hotter than usual but those conditions are 10 times better than what many people experience across the nation with regards to soccer conditions. In Florida, a lot of times they will play on mud with drenched fields while it is down pouring. The parents are a little too paranoid; trust me your kids are fine, they aren't going to melt. They are conditioned and in much better shape than you ever were. LOL
I remember wrestling practice back in Cincy. The building where we held practice wasn't heated at night so the mats were freezing cold. Having to do "hit-its" felt like we were throwing ourselves against concrete.

It's probably safer for kids practicing out here. I remember high school football players back east dying during practice because they weren't drinking enough water on days with high humidity.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
One of the handiest things to use if you are outside in warm/hot weather for any period of time (and this would work for the kids and you) are those cloth strips filled with the beads that you soak in ice water for 20-30 min, blot the excess, and tie around your neck. They sell them at Walgreens and places like that during the spring and summer, all different colors and designs, and they really help keep you cool for a long time-- both playing and watching soccer!

Old 03-03-2012, 04:46 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
Maybe they play at night? I did for some soccer games when I was a kid.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM

168 posts, read 456,464 times
My kids play soccer, football, or baseball every season except summer. Winter season weather is great. But yes, spring and fall are HOT! If you get a noon game in May, you'll be seriously sweating while you watch the game. I find the worst part is just sitting in the direct sun with no breeze. It's miserable. I'd recommend a sun umbrella for you on the sidelines. Your kids will be fine. They're so busy running around and thinking about the game that they tend to block out the misery of the heat. Tons of water, sunblock, water spray bottles to spray them down, ice, and more water will help.

In the San Tan area, there is indoor soccer at Barney Sports Complex in Queen Creek. Also, the Big League Dreams baseball park in Gilbert also has indoor soccer. Not sure how close either one of those are for you. But they're good options for summer soccer. I, personally, would not torture myself by signing my kids up for outdoor summer sports. It's miserable. Unless it's at night. We did play summer football one year, with games at around 7:00 p.m. It was hot, but not unbearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area