U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-03-2012, 05:12 PM

31 posts, read 33,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The "music" is not the main problem- when the "artist" is a self proclaimed gang member (not all rap performers are) the stage is pretty much set (pardon the pun) for what happened.
Yes, yes. The music is definitely NOT the problem. Angry and violent words really do not encourage a degenerate lifestyle in any way. And yes, these musicions are soooo misunderstood. Now if only we could keep those gangbanger violinists out of Phoenix Symphony ... it's turning into a H U G E problem. Huge. The cello players have formed their own gang now too, and a Mozart throw down is in the works.

You know, it would be great if the kids/teenagers who listen to the angry/ugly form of rap would be able to conceptualize whatever difference there may be between the music and the artist. How many people say "hold on, who is the artist and what is their lifestyle" before turning up the volume? It almost seems like todays entertainment culture glorifies the gang lifestyle.

True that not all rap songs are angry, and that not all rap performers are gang members. But what do we do about the ones that ARE?!? We have little control over what the radio stations play, they mix the good with the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-03-2012, 06:57 PM

7,560 posts, read 14,129,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Note to self: Avoid going to Rap concerts- actually, never go to a Rap concert- it's pretty obvious what's gonna happen.
Makes sense to me.

Rap Concert with Crips Gang Member could definitely equal trouble.

Unread 03-04-2012, 01:06 AM

617 posts, read 860,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Note to self: Avoid going to Rap concerts- actually, never go to a Rap concert- it's pretty obvious what's gonna happen.
This is actually a pretty ignorant, generalized, broad statement to make. A shooting is not the typical result of a rap concert. I've been to plenty of shows in this particular genre of music and never once has there been any violence. This incident is tragic and hopefully those accountable are found and held liable for what they did but stating what you did is wrong. There are quite a few rap artists whose main message is to end violence...instead of playing into a stereotype you should educate yourself and know what you're talking about before you speak or post to a forum.

Unread 03-04-2012, 07:53 AM

6,928 posts, read 1,881,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
This is actually a pretty ignorant, generalized, broad statement to make. A shooting is not the typical result of a rap concert. I've been to plenty of shows in this particular genre of music and never once has there been any violence. This incident is tragic and hopefully those accountable are found and held liable for what they did but stating what you did is wrong. There are quite a few rap artists whose main message is to end violence...instead of playing into a stereotype you should educate yourself and know what you're talking about before you speak or post to a forum.
There's gotta be something to gangsta rap concerts that can make people do stupid stuff. I hardly heard about a shooting at a heavy metal concert. The headbangers can still get wild but don't usually cross the line.

Unread 03-04-2012, 08:04 AM

3,185 posts, read 2,740,887 times
Let's get back to discussing the specific incident here in Tempe, please.

Unread 03-04-2012, 08:08 AM

12,998 posts, read 14,386,610 times
I actually don't think that ALL rap concerts end in violence, as was posted upthread. However, a performance by a self proclaimed member of a major gang, as happened in Tempe, would attract a more violent element. We don't even know where the shooters were from, or if they were even attending the event.

Unread 03-04-2012, 01:33 PM

4,161 posts, read 3,735,744 times
As a baby boomer myself (hate that term), I would remind readers that people got killed at rock concerts back in the day, when rap hadn't been invented and guns weren't as accessible and prevalent as they are here. Remember Altamont?

That said, I certainly hope law enforcement will have a sit-down with ALL the club bookers here. Just because they CAN make money by bringing known felons onto the local scene, doesn't mean they should, no matter how talented those people may be or how well-liked they are by fans.

Unread 03-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Status: "Keeping my insurance, avoiding Obamacare" (set 11 days ago)

3,272 posts, read 3,993,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
As a baby boomer myself (hate that term), I would remind readers that people got killed at rock concerts back in the day, when rap hadn't been invented and guns weren't as accessible and prevalent as they are here. Remember Altamont?
True. There was not only Altamont, but the Who concert in Cincinnati back in 1979 when people were trampled to death. The difference between Altamont & the rap concert in Tempe, and the incident at the Who concert was weapons were involved at Altamont & the Tempe club. No weapons were responsible for the deaths at the Cincinnati event. Still doesn't matter though. Any kind of concert with loud fans carries this kind of risk. I DESPISE rap, but I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty silly to blame the kind of music for the tragic incident in Tempe.

Unread 03-04-2012, 05:51 PM

10,093 posts, read 10,365,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
True. There was not only Altamont, but the Who concert in Cincinnati back in 1979 when people were trampled to death. The difference between Altamont & the rap concert in Tempe, and the incident at the Who concert was weapons were involved at Altamont & the Tempe club. No weapons were responsible for the deaths at the Cincinnati event. Still doesn't matter though. Any kind of concert with loud fans carries this kind of risk. I DESPISE rap, but I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty silly to blame the kind of music for the tragic incident in Tempe.
Well, like Tempe the Altamont incident was predictable as the Hells Angels are not known for peacefully keeping the peace.

Unread 03-04-2012, 06:37 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,353,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, like Tempe the Altamont incident was predictable as the Hells Angels are not known for peacefully keeping the peace.
But the guy they killed did, in fact, pull a gun. The common theme here is gangs, whether it be Bloods and Crips or Hell's Angels. I steer clear from events that could remotely attract any gang bangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area