Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 12:44 PM

45 posts, read 97,715 times

Advertisements

We bought in Fountain Hills in Sept 2011
My friend contacted my realtor and she told him that there were only 3 houses available in his price range and that the inventory in FH was very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 PM

205 posts, read 296,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Thanks for the update Zippy.
It is going to be VERY interesting in the coming months. Did I mention yet that I'm happy I bought in while the selection was MASSIVE.
Yes, we appreciate detailed stories of what is happened. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:55 PM

46 posts, read 65,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I know people who farted around looking at house after house all 2011 and now are complaining it's not fair. Sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot or you lose your market.

I'm guessing the people who really just started looking in the past few months will have to wait out the shortage or move up the scale to the homes that aren't so in demand, the pricier ones. Not that most people are able, since normally they max out their house spending. But if prices DO go up 25% by Sept., they're going to be stuck paying that premium anyway, or not buying at all. May as well get the bigger house now and enjoy the appreciation yourself, if you possibly can.
Prices won't go up 25% by September. That's 6.25% per month. I could see 5% by then though, but I think it's unlikely. I bought in late January -- my house has appreciated 3% since I bought. If supply continues downwards, absolutely we will raise another 5% -- but I don't see that happening now that (from my understanding) banks have started foreclosing again after working out their legal issues from the past. Am I mistaken there?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:04 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
Bguar,

As terrifying a prospect as this may seem - you gotta read this whole thread - lots of posts already in here about whether there are or are not more foreclosures coming online here in PHOENIX in the future.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:26 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
25% by Sept. seems unlikely to me, too, but we've seen 40% per year before, and things weren't starting out deep in the bargain basement then. And it was a prediction from the (generally considered) top authority.

Quote=the Cromford Report--- "...We reiterate our forecast that positive annual appreciation will be recorded throughout 2012 and is likely to exceed 25% by September 2012..."

Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Bguar,

As terrifying a prospect as this may seem - you gotta read this whole thread - lots of posts already in here about whether there are or are not more foreclosures coming online here in PHOENIX in the future.
Well, I am making an assumption that now since banks have realized they can start foreclosing again with the previous foreclosure legal stuff behind them, that they will start doing so. If this is true, yes, there are many, many more coming. I read that Phoenix has one of the fastest foreclosure processes in the country (the process is slow... now, getting around to starting the process, who knows). But you know how stuff like that goes... who knows if it's true or not. But Zillow does seem to think price appreciations are happening.

Last edited by bguar; 04-20-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
25% by Sept. seems unlikely to me, too, but we've seen 40% per year before, and things weren't starting out deep in the bargain basement then. And it was a prediction from the (generally considered) top authority.

Quote=the Cromford Report--- "...We reiterate our forecast that positive annual appreciation will be recorded throughout 2012 and is likely to exceed 25% by September 2012..."
Would be awesome for my house value if that happened. But I just think it's unlikely. I hope I'm wrong though!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguar View Post
Prices won't go up 25% by September. That's 6.25% per month. I could see 5% by then though, but I think it's unlikely. I bought in late January -- my house has appreciated 3% since I bought. If supply continues downwards, absolutely we will raise another 5% -- but I don't see that happening now that (from my understanding) banks have started foreclosing again after working out their legal issues from the past. Am I mistaken there?

In the bottom ranges, we've effectively already had a 25 percent bump. It takes $90k to buy a house that was only worth $70k a few months ago- do the math, that's nearly 30 percent.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:51 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
Zippyman,

Agreed - a few posts above in this thread I pointed out how the median price in Pinal county went from 85K in March 2011 to 110K in March 2012.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
In the bottom ranges, we've effectively already had a 25 percent bump. It takes $90k to buy a house that was only worth $70k a few months ago- do the math, that's nearly 30 percent.
Wasn't it talking valley wide though? Or was it stating primarily for the $100k and under range?

My house was in the $300's when I bought it -- I just can't see a 25% increase on that. Granted, it is in the 85255 zip code and I do have really nice mountain views but still...

Hey... like I said -- if it happens, awesome! Then again, I don't plan on moving so I guess it doesn't really matter for me unless I re-finance for a much lower rate... which considering I'm already at 2.9% for a 10 year, I don't think it's going much lower.

Do you have any opinions on that market sector though? I don't subscribe to Cromford -- so I'm quite clueless when it comes to the whole picture. I wasn't buying for an investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area