Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,208 times

Advertisements

I searched this forum and found mixed opinions about the overall South Mountain area. It's said south of Baseline should be quite safe. How is this particular location? It's closer to the mountains. The nearest intersection to the property I am looking to buy is Dobbins & 20th St. I saw a few crimes in neighborhood nearby at AZ crime search website. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
I like that area, actually, although I've only driven through it on a few occasions; I don't know anyone who lives in the area. There's a "few crimes" everywhere. If you find a house there you really like that meets your needs, I don't think the area is an issue.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:51 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
20th St and Dobbins is hit or miss, and it's less than a mile away from the hardcore hood so of the worst neighborhoods in the Valley. I grew up in this area and lost a lot of friends to gang violence. Hell one of my friends who I grew up with a murdered near there. Just take what people say here with a grain of salt. The will say it's not so bad, and will be ok. but move there at your own risk.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Well, I got lost coming back from the east valley last weekend and was in an area where all the signs said "South Mountain" and it was the worst area I've ever been in since arriving in Phoenix four years ago and I've traveled all over the valley. I got off the freeway (I10) to eat something and found I was in Guadalupe. I tried heading west on surface streets and eventually ended up in the west valley (35th Ave) and took it back to the freeway but whatever street I traveled on for many miles from the east valley to the west valley (Southern Ave maybe?) went through some of the worst neighborhoods I've ever seen.

Don't know if this represents all of "South Mountain" but I wouldn't want to live anywhere near that place. My wife was with me and was seriously nervous and said "why is everyone staring at us?" as we sat at a red light.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,761 times
i would live at 20th and dobbins. i work around the corner at the college and that area has gotten a lot nicer in recent years. i have never feared for my safety in south phoenix.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:40 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Well, I got lost coming back from the east valley last weekend and was in an area where all the signs said "South Mountain" and it was the worst area I've ever been in since arriving in Phoenix four years ago and I've traveled all over the valley. I got off the freeway (I10) to eat something and found I was in Guadalupe. I tried heading west on surface streets and eventually ended up in the west valley (35th Ave) and took it back to the freeway but whatever street I traveled on for many miles from the east valley to the west valley (Southern Ave maybe?) went through some of the worst neighborhoods I've ever seen.

Don't know if this represents all of "South Mountain" but I wouldn't want to live anywhere near that place. My wife was with me and was seriously nervous and said "why is everyone staring at us?" as we sat at a red light.
If you were on Southern, you were quite a ways, in more ways than one, from Dobbins Rd and 20th St. I've gone across on Dobbins from the Humane Society (at about 15th Ave) east several times, and it's much different than Southern. If you saw signs that said South Mountain, you MIGHT have been on Baseline, but I don't know what "South Mountain" signs you saw (couldn't you see street signs, when you got to a major intersection?). In any event, either one would be worse than down closer to the mountain on Dobbins.

(not sure why you didn't just go get back on the freeway sooner?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
20th St and Dobbins is hit or miss, and it's less than a mile away from the hardcore hood so of the worst neighborhoods in the Valley. I grew up in this area and lost a lot of friends to gang violence. Hell one of my friends who I grew up with a murdered near there. Just take what people say here with a grain of salt. The will say it's not so bad, and will be ok. but move there at your own risk.

The "hardcore hood" as you call it, is certainly further north, and would also be also further west, than 20th and Dobbins. Every time someone asks about any spot in an area covering many square miles, you come up with the gang violence you saw as a youth and someone you knew was murdered near there way back when history. That whole large stretch of what might very generically called South Phoenix actually varies more than that. Yes, there are areas that should be avoided, but others that are as safe as other areas of the valley that don't have the reputation you try to hang on the whole south side.

Last edited by observer53; 03-04-2012 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I don't have kids and pay little attention to school systems except to the extent that they might affect the resale values of or home.

So I don't know how accurate this is - but we were told that south mountain high school was bad enough that we should not buy a home in that district as many folks with kids would not want the home.

Maybe so, maybe not.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

The "hardcore hood" as you call it, is certainly further north, and would also be also further west, than 20th and Dobbins. Every time someone asks about any spot in an area covering many square miles, you come up with the gang violence you saw as a youth and someone you knew was murdered near there way back when history. That whole large stretch of what might very generically called South Phoenix actually varies more than that. Yes, there are areas that should be avoided, but others that are as safe as other areas of the valley that don't have the reputation you try to hang on the whole south side.
They have built some new development from Baseline towards Dobbins, but that mean the areas from Baseline down are now great cuz they built some new house towards Dobbins. You know nothing about the Southside you live in your nice little neighborhood with some illusion that it's "gentrified" fact is that is isn't. The fact is gang activity and violence is highly prevalent in South Phoenix whether you believe it or not. Oh and the murder was a couple months ago as stated in my first post.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:33 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
If you were on Southern, you were quite a ways, in more ways than one, from Dobbins Rd and 20th St. I've gone across on Dobbins from the Humane Society (at about 15th Ave) east several times, and it's much different than Southern. If you saw signs that said South Mountain, you MIGHT have been on Baseline, but I don't know what "South Mountain" signs you saw (couldn't you see street signs, when you got to a major intersection?). In any event, either one would be worse than down closer to the mountain on Dobbins.

(not sure why you didn't just go get back on the freeway sooner?).

i'd agree with that.

there is a lot of poverty in guadalupe, and in parts of south phoenix. but poverty does not necessarily = unsafe.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:18 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
It looks nice on Goolge Maps. I've heard the South Mountain area is a weird mix of ghetto and upscale homes. As far as it being "hardcore ghetto" I cannot say as I've never been south of Southern & Central. The reputation is a good one as you can tell from most of the above posts. Maybe it is or maybe it is not. But I don't think it's too far off base to weigh the advice in favor of someone that actually lived there and did more than work in the area or drive thru a time or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area