U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-08-2012, 12:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,993 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to the area within the next year and was hoping to get some advice on where to live. I am going to be attending graduate school and have two pups. I am mid-20's and going to be living solo. Would you suggest Goodyear or Avondale? Is one particularly safer than the other? Are there parks close by to take the dogs? Is it a good area to commute via bike?

Any opinions would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 AM

14,117 posts, read 17,529,432 times
Where are you commuting to, first of all? I'm not aware of graduate schools in or near either of those cities. Finding a rental with two dogs can depend on the size and breed of the dog, so that information is also helpful.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 AM

2,989 posts, read 2,944,220 times
Goodyear is a nicer/newer city overall and has a smaller "less desirable" area than Avondale. I would pick Goodyear over Avondale any day of the week. There is a dog park in Goodyear, however, I don't know if there are any apartments within walking distance of it.

As observer53 said, where you're going to school will make a difference in what is the best place to live.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 AM

17,431 posts, read 20,654,290 times
Goodyear is a nicer place than Avondale by and large - not to say you can't find a decent place in Avondale but Goodyear is a cut above. There are apartments along Estrella Parkway just south of the freeway. From there it is about 4 miles to the dog park also on Estrella Parkway just north of the river. Most major Goodyear streets have bike lanes.

Depending on commute and how long you will be here, you might consider a home rental in Canyon Trails just south of I10 around Sarival. You would have a back yard for the pups and Canyon Trails has many trails running through its various developments where you could ride your bike and run the dogs.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,993 times
Thanks! Great advice on the Canyon Trails area, having access to the trails would be amazing. I will definitely look into that. Franklin Pierce (original university in NH) opened a graduate school in Goodyear a few years back. Their new University buildings are still being finished, and are scheduled to be done in the fall.

I was looking at apartments like Lunaire, near Estella Parkway and Yuma Road. Is this in or near the "less desirable" areas you were speaking of? On the arial map it looked nice, but that can be deceiving.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 AM

17,431 posts, read 20,654,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshPT View Post
Thanks! Great advice on the Canyon Trails area, having access to the trails would be amazing. I will definitely look into that. Franklin Pierce (original university in NH) opened a graduate school in Goodyear a few years back. Their new University buildings are still being finished, and are scheduled to be done in the fall.

I was looking at apartments like Lunaire, near Estella Parkway and Yuma Road. Is this in or near the "less desirable" areas you were speaking of? On the arial map it looked nice, but that can be deceiving.

No, that is a nice area, new and safe. The less desirable part of Goodyear is east of Litchfield Road along the Avondale boundary and even that is not that bad, mostly just older and lower income.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 AM

2,989 posts, read 2,944,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshPT View Post

No, as Ponderosa stated, that area is a newer area and although kind of barren now it is a nice area and will be growing in the future. Goodyear has a very small area that you wouldn't want to live in so if it is a Goodyear addresss you're more than likely ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area