Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Dr. Gladys McGarey, M.D.

Ph: 480-946-4544
15730 North Pima Road, # D-4233
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

It must be really difficult to deal with doctors who are judgemental, although my guess is that they are concerned and are trying to help you -- however, they probably also should realize you've probably been told to lose weight many times before....catch 22.

I'd like to suggest Dr. McGarey -- she is terrific, very, very good bedside manners, was a pioneer in both holistic health and birthing. She has other doctors who work with her, and she is fantastic!

Also, I am of "normal" weight, but I still had Gestational Diabetes, and it's not a good thing. Mine was hereditary, however, it is still a huge deal, overweight or not. If you have a 3-year-old, then maybe you already know if you are prone to it or not...I hope you don't get it...it's really tough to control, and, unfortunately, diet plays a huge part in controlling it while you're pregnant.

At any rate, give Dr. Gladys's office a call and at least explain the situation to them. I can't think of a kinder, gentler, aware, compassionate, more experienced doctor than Dr. Gladys McGarey, and I highly recommend her!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 02:21 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Wow, Bummer, this icon () is called "eek, eek." You're using it a whole lot! Start wondering if I'm that icky!
Nothing personal, Sierra . . . I just happen to like my buddy ! !

Old 09-27-2007, 02:28 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,053 times
Hi,
I just wanted to say congratulations!! I bet you are not the first person the Doctor has had as a patient that is either overweight or thinks they are overweight. I would try to find a female Doc or a nurse midwife. I'm a nurse and I tend to like nurse practioners for "female" type issues. Most of them are female, but there are also many males. I generally find that they take a little extra time and generally have a more desirable bedside manner. Of course, I've met some great Docs, too! Best of luck and definately get that list from Tricare (we got ours off the internet).

Old 09-27-2007, 08:10 PM

461 posts, read 1,809,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't go to doctors for their advice on lifestyle choices or inevitabilities (being overweight is not necessarily a choice). If I broke a leg, let's say, my smoking has nothing to do it and I'm not looking for unsolicited advice on the subject. Actually, I avoid going to doctors as much as humanly possible for various other reasons I don't plan to share here.
Yeah, it does. Smoking affects healing of ANY kind, including broken bones. I'm not lecturing (I am a smoker), but sorry, I don't think there's anything smoking doesn't affect!!!!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:37 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
Yeah, it does. Smoking affects healing of ANY kind, including broken bones. I'm not lecturing (I am a smoker), but sorry, I don't think there's anything smoking doesn't affect!!!!
Well, actually smoking would poison your body and vampires do not like to suck on smokers or even junkies unless they wanna get high as well!!

lol....kidding of course (or may be not?)

On a serious note, if you cut yourself and there really isn't clean around you to clean up the cut area, putting tobacco on it is something gypsies back where I am from are known to do. Though I'm not sure if it helps stop the bleeding or to prevent it from getting infected or even it does help.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:22 AM

751 posts, read 1,177,685 times
This thread is a prime example of everything I despise about this crazy society we live in. "I am overweight, but please I do not want to hear about it, and please do not tell me that I am overweight either, because that might hurt my feelings (even though it is the freaking truth and I know it!!)" Doctors, put up with 8 years of school, all types of BS(insurance companies, pharmaceutical reps, etc) and even when they do their jobs, they have to be PC about it. DUH is all I have to say about it.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:27 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
is all I have to say about it.
Good! See ya!

Old 09-29-2007, 01:31 AM

402 posts, read 1,527,812 times
My first 2 children were born in Mesa at Desert Sam/Banner Desert. We saw a wonderful ob/gyn named Dr. Elenore Stanley with East Valley Ob/gyn who had offices at Banner Desert and Chandler Regional, though I heard she left there a couple of years back to start her own practice. If she's still around, I'd look into seeing her.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:11 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
This thread is a prime example of everything I despise about this crazy society we live in. "I am overweight, but please I do not want to hear about it, and please do not tell me that I am overweight either, because that might hurt my feelings (even though it is the freaking truth and I know it!!)" Doctors, put up with 8 years of school, all types of BS(insurance companies, pharmaceutical reps, etc) and even when they do their jobs, they have to be PC about it. DUH is all I have to say about it.
Thanks, Lukeache . . .

Rather harsh, however, when health issues, especially the health of an unborn is concerned, being PC and "sugarcoating" the truth is BLATANTLY IDIOTIC!

Old 09-29-2007, 01:54 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Thanks, Lukeache . . .

Rather harsh, however, when health issues, especially the health of an unborn is concerned, being PC and "sugarcoating" the truth is BLATANTLY IDIOTIC!
I do agree as well but if doctors become too harsh then they will have to start prescribing more and more Prozac, Xanax, etc... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area