Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:48 PM

376 posts, read 490,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Gotta love the hypocrites in this community. Announcing the good deeds they have -supposedly- done to get others congrats and admiration which are quite possibly just as fake. I helped so called homeless and alike in my time and more than once but never had a reason to post it online, annoncing them to others, what was the main motive of this thread I wonder? To insult and unfairly judge the people living in a community/city or to brag about the good deeds you had done which in reality is nothing more than a normal act of kindness?

Nana, you are right, I don't live in Scottsdale but from what you told, it is fair to say entire Scottsdale people are ignorant and are not compassionate, oh by the way, where do you reside?
May be next time you should tell the entire story instead of keeping some critical details out of it which could have prevented some of our comments.
Something is very wrong with me? So easy to attack me just because I stated a few of my opinions or concerns and all of a sudden I am a heatless prick, I am what is wrong with this country? You are so quick to dismiss me and insult me, hard to believe this is the same person that helped a bum...err, a homeless who was laying out cold on the side walk.

A homeless with a beer bottle is a BUM, end of story. I am not going to analyze how he eneded up there or try to think of a sad possibility and come up with inaccurate conclusions. I never made my comments on ALL homeless people, I was simply directing my comments to the ones that were alike.
You got means to obtain beer, then you should be able to obtain water, etc.

Those who are attacking me, have you ever been homeless? No job, no home to live in, no food or $$ in your pocket?
I have! Less than 2 decades ago, first year in the country due to major health and financial problems in the family, I dropped out of school, and since I had no job or saved money, I was pretty much out on the street.
Found a job cleaning up a motorcycle repair shop, slept in a near by park before the owner felt bad yet trusted me enough to let me sleep in the office section on the floor. Weeks later I save enough money to buy a pos late 70s model Ford Thunderbird from one of the mechanics for about $300. I finally had wheels and a more comfortable place to sleep; the backseat. A fe weeks later I got myself a room in a house and lived with roommates. Was I drinking, smoking or doing drugs because life handed me a set of crappy cards or did I work hard to get back on my feet with little to no help from others?

6 years after all that, I was in CA and working in Mortgage Field making decent money and owned my first brand new car ('98 Chevy Malibu). I had A+ credit and still do....when I was like 9-10 we were camping during our Summer vacation and I met a kid my age who had a homeless family, guess who secretly carried food to them during the course of our stay there....and many other incident that I don't even care to remember but you know what I am what's wrong with this society today, being a heartless prick and all....

Bunch of hypocrites...

PS. This is besides the point or the actual issue but if you really are 1-2 paychecks away from being homeless, then you really shouldn't worry about others so much.
What details did I leave out? Were you there? NO.
I reside where my parents dragged me kicking and screaming. I am from the midwest and hold those values which is why it is hard for me to see what I do daily. (I would rather move, but I am stuck here for personal reasons. I will move when those reasons change.)
To your question about being homeless? YES. I have been. Thus my disgust with others who have an arrogance about the fact that this could never happen to them, and if you just "got a job" it will all go away. And that people who are down on their luck are inherently lazy. When I was down on my luck, NO ONE HELPED ME. I will never turn my back on someone in those shoes-as I have personally worn them myself.
Bum is a trigger word btw. It was a judgement word. It showed you had a distaste for this person.
Reason I posted this? To have a discussion about the people who walked over this person. To see if people would think differently. TO SEE IF THERE WERE PEOPLE IN THIS AREA THAT WOULD ALSO HAVE HELPED. BECAUSE I WAS APPAULED. Apparantely, it is a party line issue, and not a humane/inhumane issue. If you on the left-you help a person, if you are on the right-they need to help themselves. Pretty sad.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:20 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
mmmm. Beg to differ with your take on party lines. I know many on both sides of the fence that will help. I don't think one party has a patent on helping. Maybe you should move this to the Politics forum?

Old 09-12-2007, 05:47 PM

376 posts, read 490,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
mmmm. Beg to differ with your take on party lines. I know many on both sides of the fence that will help. I don't think one party has a patent on helping. Maybe you should move this to the Politics forum?
Not meant to turn this political. Nice to know that right wingers believe in programs to help the homeless. Didn't know they did.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post

LOL @ Motley . . .

Rather than moved, maybe this Poor "Dead Horse" Thread needs to be LOCKED! ! ! ! !

Old 09-12-2007, 06:37 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
Not meant to turn this political. Nice to know that right wingers believe in programs to help the homeless. Didn't know they did.
Yep, plenty of righties that go to Church and feed and clothe the homeless, many more do it also without going to a place of worship. Give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:10 PM

461 posts, read 1,809,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
It must be nice to never have known what it is like to not be able to afford basic life needs. You have no idea of what you are speaking by your response here. If you have bills that are a certain amount, and a job that pays just barely enough-it is easy math. How many children should we orphan in this country? Is 3 jobs per parent going to be what is necessary to live? YOU NEED TO STOP LUMPING EVERYONE INTO THE CATERGORY OF "PEOPLE NEEDING TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS" AND REALIZE THAT NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME. NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME SKILLS. NOT EVERYONE CAN HAVE THE KICKASS JOBS-JUST BY LOGIC. HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN DO A CERTAIN JOB? HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN AFFORD TO GO TO SCHOOL? OR HAVE THE APTTITUDE FOR IT? NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME!
There you go, judging again! Well, guess again, Nanawale. My father quit high school in the 10th grade so he could help support his family because his stepfather was an alcoholic bum - much like the guy you found laying on the street. But, that didn't stop my dad! He fought his way out of the slums and actually made something of his life. As a child, I watched my mom and dad work their butts off to get ahead - and they did. My dad, rest his soul, ended up an extremely wealthy man. Now, I guess you think I somehow prospered from my parents' wealth. Guess again, Nanawale. My husband passed away (quite suddenly) at the unthinkable age of 39, I was 36, our son 14, and found myself in the undesirable position of having to sell the brand new, custom built home my husband and I had just built and lived in for less than a year, and I got to move into a "double-wide". My dad, having all that wealth, generously offered to pay off my mortgage so I could keep the custom built home, and let me pay him back, interest free. I suppose you think I accepted, huh? Guess again, Nanawale. I told my dad NO! I was determined to make it on my own. I decided I HAD TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR BUILDING THAT BEAUTIFUL CUSTOM HOME AND NOT THINKING ABOUT WHETHER I COULD AFFORD IT ON ONE INCOME ONLY. That was "my bad". My husband's life insurance policy barely covered the funeral and a couple of house payments (until it sold). So, there I was, on my own, barely making it, living paycheck to paycheck, trying to raise a 14 year old son and living in a double-wide. Not exactly what I was used to. So, did I whine and cry and blame everyone else for my problems? No, again I took responsiblity for my life and my son's well-being and I was bound and determined to get the hell out of the double-wide. AND I AM EXTREMELY PROUD TO SAY THAT I DID! I worked by butt off. I worked two jobs. I took all the overtime I could. It took a few years, but by the time my son graduated from high school, I was able to take him on a trip to California and buy my own house, entirely on my own, without the financial help of anyone.

At this point in my life, I now make more than enough money from one job to keep me above and beyond living "paycheck to paycheck". But I still work two jobs. I drive a brand new car. I live in a beautiful condo. And when I move to AZ I could afford to live in Scottsdale, but I won't. And the only reason I won't is because I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck.

People make choices - good and bad - but they are their own choices.

By the way, my husband's father was also an alcoholic bum. He chose alcohol over his own family.

I do not feel sorry for people who turn to drugs or alcohol and then find themselves living on the streets. That was THEIR choice. By the way, what if you found out the guy you "saved" had just knocked down some poor little old lady just so he could take her purse and steal her money to buy more booze/drugs. Would you still feel sorry for him? Would you still have been so quick to "save" him?

Those are the sad facts of living on the street. I work in downtown Detroit. I see the same homeless people EVERY SINGLE DAY. They don't want your help. They don't want food or clothing or even shelter. They want (and beg for) your money - just so they can buy more booze/drugs. My law firm is very involved in helping the unfortunate through many, many charities. Unfortunately, most of these homeless people are bums. And they don't want your help - just your money.

I am involved with charities. In my husband's memory, I support the Salvation Army. That was his charity of choice because as a kid, the Salvation Army had helped him and his 5 brothers and sisters, since his dad chose to drink and be a bum instead of support his family.

I will open heartedly help a homeless mother and her children who has sought shelter because her "bum" of a husband has chosen to abuse/neglect or abandon his family.

I will gladly help the veteran who, in fighting for my Freedom, suffered physical and/or emotional traumas so severe that I will never have the capability of understanding.

So don't lecture me (or anyone else for that matter) about how they feel about "bums". You wrote an egotistical post about what a wonderful person you are. You wrote it with the blatant intent of getting admiration from others. I hope you now feel whole and complete from all the cyber "pats on the back" you got. But before you go pointing fingers at us "heathens", get your facts straight and actually "listen" to what you are reading. You chastized me for taking a stance on overspending and taking responsibility for your own actions. However, you applauded Nitram for saying basically the same thing I did directly under my post!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
I wonder if I am still on Nana's Xmas Gift Shopping List?

Turco "Bootstrap" Loco

PS. Thanks for the tip Motley!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:02 PM

34 posts, read 131,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Did you give him water?
exactly...

here he is calling the cops and the guy gets arrested...

well maybe in jail the homeless guy got water

Old 09-13-2007, 01:09 PM

34 posts, read 192,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
There you go, judging again! Well, guess again, Nanawale. My father quit high school in the 10th grade so he could help support his family because his stepfather was an alcoholic bum - much like the guy you found laying on the street. But, that didn't stop my dad! He fought his way out of the slums and actually made something of his life. As a child, I watched my mom and dad work their butts off to get ahead - and they did. My dad, rest his soul, ended up an extremely wealthy man. Now, I guess you think I somehow prospered from my parents' wealth. Guess again, Nanawale. My husband passed away (quite suddenly) at the unthinkable age of 39, I was 36, our son 14, and found myself in the undesirable position of having to sell the brand new, custom built home my husband and I had just built and lived in for less than a year, and I got to move into a "double-wide". My dad, having all that wealth, generously offered to pay off my mortgage so I could keep the custom built home, and let me pay him back, interest free. I suppose you think I accepted, huh? Guess again, Nanawale. I told my dad NO! I was determined to make it on my own. I decided I HAD TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR BUILDING THAT BEAUTIFUL CUSTOM HOME AND NOT THINKING ABOUT WHETHER I COULD AFFORD IT ON ONE INCOME ONLY. That was "my bad". My husband's life insurance policy barely covered the funeral and a couple of house payments (until it sold). So, there I was, on my own, barely making it, living paycheck to paycheck, trying to raise a 14 year old son and living in a double-wide. Not exactly what I was used to. So, did I whine and cry and blame everyone else for my problems? No, again I took responsiblity for my life and my son's well-being and I was bound and determined to get the hell out of the double-wide. AND I AM EXTREMELY PROUD TO SAY THAT I DID! I worked by butt off. I worked two jobs. I took all the overtime I could. It took a few years, but by the time my son graduated from high school, I was able to take him on a trip to California and buy my own house, entirely on my own, without the financial help of anyone.

At this point in my life, I now make more than enough money from one job to keep me above and beyond living "paycheck to paycheck". But I still work two jobs. I drive a brand new car. I live in a beautiful condo. And when I move to AZ I could afford to live in Scottsdale, but I won't. And the only reason I won't is because I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck.

People make choices - good and bad - but they are their own choices.

By the way, my husband's father was also an alcoholic bum. He chose alcohol over his own family.

I do not feel sorry for people who turn to drugs or alcohol and then find themselves living on the streets. That was THEIR choice. By the way, what if you found out the guy you "saved" had just knocked down some poor little old lady just so he could take her purse and steal her money to buy more booze/drugs. Would you still feel sorry for him? Would you still have been so quick to "save" him?

Those are the sad facts of living on the street. I work in downtown Detroit. I see the same homeless people EVERY SINGLE DAY. They don't want your help. They don't want food or clothing or even shelter. They want (and beg for) your money - just so they can buy more booze/drugs. My law firm is very involved in helping the unfortunate through many, many charities. Unfortunately, most of these homeless people are bums. And they don't want your help - just your money.

I am involved with charities. In my husband's memory, I support the Salvation Army. That was his charity of choice because as a kid, the Salvation Army had helped him and his 5 brothers and sisters, since his dad chose to drink and be a bum instead of support his family.

I will open heartedly help a homeless mother and her children who has sought shelter because her "bum" of a husband has chosen to abuse/neglect or abandon his family.

I will gladly help the veteran who, in fighting for my Freedom, suffered physical and/or emotional traumas so severe that I will never have the capability of understanding.

So don't lecture me (or anyone else for that matter) about how they feel about "bums". You wrote an egotistical post about what a wonderful person you are. You wrote it with the blatant intent of getting admiration from others. I hope you now feel whole and complete from all the cyber "pats on the back" you got. But before you go pointing fingers at us "heathens", get your facts straight and actually "listen" to what you are reading. You chastized me for taking a stance on overspending and taking responsibility for your own actions. However, you applauded Nitram for saying basically the same thing I did directly under my post!!!
Looks like you're fishing for a few "cyber pats on the back" yourself.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:04 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saguarodave View Post
Looks like you're fishing for a few "cyber pats on the back" yourself.
Hey wiseguy, if she started a new thread telling all that, I might have agreed with you but if you found yourself unfairly attacked and misunderstood, you just might have done the same thing.

So, discuss the topic on hand, bring some insight, your own experience or thoughts on the main issue but do not judge others' answers with a single comment on your very first post, ok?

This had already become a very ugly, off base argumentative thread that we need no other posts as they will neither be constructive nor helpful.

Imho, I think this thread should have never been started to begin with but at least it should be closed asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area