Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 AM

3 posts, read 7,475 times

Advertisements

We have decided to look for real estate in the Phoenix area and are quite excited about living 6 months a year in a warm climate. We're just wondering about 55+ communities and want to make sure that they are the right ones for our lifestyle. We are very early 60s and like to hike, bike and do go to theatrical and musical performances and dinners at nice restaurants. It's hard to look inside the 55+ communities for demographics and so are wondering if anyone can help with that.

I've also been warned against Phoenix area due to crime in the area. Could anyone tell me what the crime is like ther- how serious and widespread.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,311,267 times
I really love how people tell other people that the "Phoenix area" is high crime and not a safe place to move to. This is a HUGE area, not only in terms of population but of size. Compared to other cities, including smaller ones, the crime rate here compares favorably. Perhaps the people you talked to were thinking of the totally misunderstood reputation of Phoenix as some sort of "kidnapping capital". If you aren't in the drug or human smuggling trade, you aren't going to be any part of that. There's crime everywhere, of course, but there are many areas in the Phoenix area that are quite safe, including the 55+ communities. I'll let others speak to the pros and cons of those communities in other respects, but I will suggest that there are very active people in all those communities, so you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,753,411 times
We live in Gilbert which has the reputation of being a safe city. Here is a site with crime reports for Gilbert: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
You can Google to get crime rates for other Phoenix Metro area cities.

We go to Scottsdale and Phoenix and the Mesa Arts Center for concerts, etc., and there are nice restaurants in almost every city around.

There are bike lanes on streets all over the Phoenix Metro area, and while we don't hike, there is hiking very close, either in San Tan Mountains, Superstition Springs mountain or the Tonto National Forest, and in other areas around the valley.

Chandler, Scottsdale and Tempe are known to be safe cities, although there may be certain areas within them that may have a higher crime rate.

Mesa has a reputation of having a higher crime rate, but that is close to the city center. The northeast and east Mesa do not have a high crime rate.

I feel as safe anywhere in the Phoenix area as I do in other parts of the country where I've lived and visited. Just realize that crime can happen anywhere in the country, and just use common sense to prevent being a victim.

Last edited by Yac; 03-27-2012 at 05:57 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 07:47 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,664,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potterymaniac View Post
We have decided to look for real estate in the Phoenix area and are quite excited about living 6 months a year in a warm climate. We're just wondering about 55+ communities and want to make sure that they are the right ones for our lifestyle. We are very early 60s and like to hike, bike and do go to theatrical and musical performances and dinners at nice restaurants. It's hard to look inside the 55+ communities for demographics and so are wondering if anyone can help with that.

I've also been warned against Phoenix area due to crime in the area. Could anyone tell me what the crime is like ther- how serious and widespread.
Thanks.
Are you looking at any certain 55+ communities? I'm assuming you mean a 55+ community with park models, correct?

I have an aunt and uncle who own a park model in Valle Del Oro in Apache Junction and they enjoy it! Definitely not a bad place for a retired couple to live and it's also gated to give some extra peace-of-mind. I believe they paid something like $25K for their park model about 6/7 years ago and pay around $5K/ year in lot rent.

Parents live in Estancia in N. Scottsdale, while it's not a 55+ community, it seems like the majority of residents ARE in that age range! A little more expensive than a park model though...

Any certain areas you're curious about?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,716,205 times
I see you are pottery enthusiasts. Do you throw or do hand building?
Sun City has some fantastic clay clubs and the potters there are very helpful. Many classes available. But I also see you like the theater and I think the east side may be where you would be most content. There are also some great food places on the east side as well. You should come and spend some time to explore the different 55+ communities. Vistancia/Trilogy is set in some beautiful foothill land and they have a very busy HOA crowd to keep themselves entertained. So many to choose from and your budget would help in suggesting which ones to ponder while you wander.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,571 times
I live in Mesa, only a 20 min. drive from down town Phoenix. Mesa is East of Phoenix and has Light Rail service that goes right through to the west side of phoenix. Crime in the area depends partly on neighbor hoods. People don't get shot for walking down the street or mugged that I've heard. Look for a neighborhood that has community organization or have a Block Watch. Those are the best, where neighbors talk to each other. Temp is also very nicely developed. With quick and easy access to Phoenix & Mesa's Down town areas. It would keep you in the center of things.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:24 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,126,258 times
Quote:
It's hard to look inside the 55+ communities for demographics and so are wondering if anyone can help with that
The 55+ communities are 55+. LOL, ok probably not the demographic data you're looking for. But seriously, they will have all ages from 55 up and even some younger people married to 55+. The price range of the community will tell you the economic level of the residents. Racial demographics? I'd say it is predominantly white, in the 55+ communities. There are a lot of Canadian retirees, and midwesterners. Some of the adult communities lowered the age to 45 during the recession. You might be more interested in those.

I'd contact a local real estate agent who sells valley-wide.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:23 PM

65 posts, read 159,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Sun City has some fantastic clay clubs and the potters there are very helpful. Many classes available. But I also see you like the theater and I think the east side may be where you would be most content. There are also some great food places on the east side as well. You should come and spend some time to explore the different 55+ communities. Vistancia/Trilogy is set in some beautiful foothill land and they have a very busy HOA crowd to keep themselves entertained. So many to choose from and your budget would help in suggesting which ones to ponder while you wander.

Be aware that Sun City has an awful $3,000 property transfer fee on selling a home. That means if you inherit a home you pay $3,000 to get it in your name and another $3,000 if you turn around and try to sell it. Usually falls on the seller paying it since most buyers won't in negotiation unless the house is something they really really want or it is already a distressed price. So actually it is very negative on property values there. Just something to look forward to when you sell - hoping they haven't increased it by then.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Hi Motleycrew,
I throw pottery and I am hoping to find a nice studio wherever we settle.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 AM

Thanks to all for your responses. It is helpful to get some info from those who live there now. Thanks to Captain Bill for the crime stats link. That really helps to put things in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area