Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 05:36 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,669 times

Advertisements

Hmm, let's see. It's 85 outside, the pool is 76 degrees so I took a nice swim today.
Do I miss Oregon where it is currently raining, cold and windy for the next 10 days?

NOPE.

Gotta love it here this time of year.

Anybody else using their pools yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,336 times
Brrr, no. But kids here used it a few weeks ago, at night. But they'd get in the hot spa in between cold dips.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:32 PM

675 posts, read 1,413,751 times
76?? wow! ours is only 71 at the moment... just tossed in the solar rings about an hour ago to help it out a bit over the coming month... but honestly we probably won't get in til it's into the mid 80's...

Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM

I bought a solar cover for the pool last week. That in combination with the warmer daytime temps brought it up almost 15 degrees. Last week at this time my pool was 61.
I was amazed how well the solar cover worked out. It's kind of a pain to remove and put back on but it's worth it.
I'm a pretty handy kind of guy so I'm building a solar heater. I already know it increases the water temp thru the heater by 7 degrees each pass so with a little math and lots of research, I'm hoping to have 82 to 83 degree water by Monday.
I'll let you folks know how it works out.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,567,921 times
You must have a lap pool. I am a fitness swimmer (ex masters swimmer) and 76 Is great for when you hope to go fast, really fast. 83 is on the too warm side. I swam a bit at my friends' pool in Glendale one August evening on the day my car registered an outdoor temp of 119. My friends' pool was like a bathtub. At that point it is just a novelty, not sure if you could feel cooled down. But the next door neighbor was over with his cold micro brewed beer he brewed himself. That made me feel cool!

Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 AM

My pool isn't a "lap pool" although it's square. 15 X 34. Diving pool. 10 feet deep. Last year the hottest my pool got was 90 degrees. Yes, that was too warm. It was only there for a few days but I didn't get cooled off at that temp.
Even if the solar heaters don't work as expected, I can also use them to cool the pool off. Just run the pump late at night when it's cooler.
I do like my pool kind of warm. To me, 82 to 85 is heavenly. Enough to cool you off but not so cold as to give you goose bumps.

Last edited by maverick974; 03-30-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 03-30-2012, 09:53 AM

363 posts, read 929,522 times
Quick question about pools: Since our purchase I have been trying to drain the water but I am always between the two states. I tried to rent the pump in February, however Mesa Water Works department advised me to do it after April 1st as it will not affect the 2012-2013 water rate as bad. I guess I will have to rent a pump next week and get it done, however I am not sure where to drain it into. Should I look for a specially marked well-cap around the front yard? The pool is pebble tech, I shouldn't be worried about the "not to sudden" weight and pressure change, right?

To the OP: two weeks ago before my flight back to Montana, I took my first dip of 2012. Weather was 78F the water 68-70, a bit on the chilly side but got used to in in no time. Montana's rivers are still frozen...

Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,602,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Hmm, let's see. It's 85 outside, the pool is 76 degrees so I took a nice swim today.
Do I miss Oregon where it is currently raining, cold and windy for the next 10 days?

NOPE.

Gotta love it here this time of year.

Anybody else using their pools yet?
My kids used the pool at the end of February at my sons birthday party. Of course not during the last cold spell. As for myself, I have used the pool three times so far. Planning on swimming this weekend.

Edit: no heater. pool temp has been around 68-71.I expect a bit warmer with the 90's forecast for tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 AM

675 posts, read 1,413,751 times
You might be able to use your pool's circulation pump if you can direct 100% of the intake to come from the floor drain, and assuming you can divert your return line out and attach a 4" (or whatever size your line is) rubber drain hose to carry the water to the storm drain or wherever you're going to send it.

You also can buy a small pump that uses a garden hose to pump the water out, but that will take a lot longer. I think mine was under a hundred bucks...

What is the reason you want to drain it?
As for the change in weight and pressure, it should be ok for a short period of time, for cleaning or resurfacing. I've always been told though that you should not leave it empty for an extended period of time because of the potential for cracks and bulges caused by the ground no longer having tons of water pushing on it.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:40 AM

363 posts, read 929,522 times
Zathras,

We purchased the home last October and the previous owner did not know when the water was last changed. Could be 5 years which is the same as the home's age... She frankly did not remember ever draining it. The water PH level is very high, the Chlorine is perfect as we worked on it from the start. Also, two of the self cleaning pop ups do not circulate with the others meaning they do not go down unless the system is turned off. I will try and work on that as well when empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area