Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 AM

211 posts, read 543,927 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate from east coast. So tired of
The crappy weather.. Snow, rain and no Sun

Interested in a nice town. Been looking into Gilbert,chandler or litchfield park
Any feedback on these towns would be appreciated and what people think of Homes in these areas, crime, job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 09:02 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
There is a lot of information here in the forums already on all three of those cities, you can use the search function to find the threads discussing them.

If you are going to be working, the first thing you need to know is that this is a very spread out area. Commutes can be very long, congested, (and expensive, at current gas prices). The cities you mention don't really have a separate job market from that of metro Phoenix as a whole; depending on your field, you may or may not find work within one of those cities, but shortening the commute as much as possible is the goal.

Litchfield Park is 40 + miles across the Valley from Chandler or Gilbert. Generally, there are nice neighborhoods in all three, and they have relatively low crime rates. None of them are "towns" as you may think of them in MA, though both Gilbert and Litchfield Park use that designation legally. Chandler is a "city". They are all very large contiguous suburbs of Phoenix, the sixth largest city in the country. There are no gaps between Phoenix and the surrounding suburbs, they all run directly together, some, in the case of Litchfield Park, don't border Phoenix but border other suburbs that do.

You should also plan on renting at first until you know the part of the Valley where you really want to live. I'm assuming you haven't been here before, and this area is a huge change from Massachusetts in more ways than just weather. You should come and visit, ideally during our extreme weather season (summer) to get a bit more of a feel for what it is like here and if it would suit you. Many people come here to escape from the cold, but this area is so different from the east coast in other ways that it is not the answer for everyone.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the advice. I lived in Goodyear when I was like 12, some 25 yrs ago
But I'm sure a lot has changed .
I've been a Barber/ hair stylist for last 7 years, while I could work for someone I could also open my own shop in a good city an location. On a plus side in Az I'm sure rent is much cheaper than that of Ma for business space .
I would like to plan to visit soon for 1-2 weeks
Another question Would real estate agents be willing to show me houses while I visit so I can get an idea on property n neighborhoods ?

Old 03-31-2012, 12:03 PM

Yes, it's changed a lot. In your job field, you do have some flexibility.

I'm sure you could find a realtor to show you around, but you will need more than one. You might find someone who is familiar with both Chandler and Gilbert, but you will need a separate one for the Litchfield Park area. Given that your visit time will be limited, it's probably best to make contact with someone ahead of time, give them an idea of your budget and what you are looking for.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:07 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni2012 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I lived in Goodyear when I was like 12, some 25 yrs ago
But I'm sure a lot has changed .
I've been a Barber/ hair stylist for last 7 years, while I could work for someone I could also open my own shop in a good city an location. On a plus side in Az I'm sure rent is much cheaper than that of Ma for business space .
I would like to plan to visit soon for 1-2 weeks
Another question Would real estate agents be willing to show me houses while I visit so I can get an idea on property n neighborhoods ?
I would recommend Litchfield. I get the same questions from physicians moving here and the growth and demand is in the west valley right now. Chandler and Gilbert are really nice but also saturated. There is a lot of competition in the Chandler/Gilbert area. Litchfield is a really nice area but a little remote however that's also why there is a lot of opportunity there.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:06 PM

thanks for the advice, im not stuck mainly on these 3 city/towns but would like to be in a good area.
Scottsdale seems very nice but seems as tho the property taxes are higher and houses etc. Im also not looking to get taken for huge HOA fees.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:15 PM

Well, HOA fees vary even within cities, depending on what you are paying for, usually (amount of common area to be maintained, pool, etc.). Unless you buy a home built before the early 1980s or so, you are going to be in an HOA.

I don't know that property taxes vary that much from city to city, as most of the taxes are applied at the county level. Assessed values may be somewhat higher in Scottsdale, or at least parts of Scottsdale, so that would affect taxes. I think Scottsdale is pretty saturated just like Chandler and Gilbert, as azriverfan. indicated, in terms of your business opportunity. The west side, Litchfield Park, Goodyear, etc., may be a better fit.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:58 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni2012 View Post
Looking to relocate from east coast. So tired of
The crappy weather.. Snow, rain and no Sun

Interested in a nice town. Been looking into Gilbert,chandler or litchfield park
Any feedback on these towns would be appreciated and what people think of Homes in these areas, crime, job market.
Well, Litchfield Park isn't really a "town" so to speak as there is very little there other than residential homes. You'll be doing your shopping in Goodyear and other cities in the area as Litchfield Park doesn't offer much. It is a nice area though.

Gilbert and Chandler are way to congested for my liking and is the reason we like it out here in the far west valley.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:03 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
Default Gilbert population growth

An excellent way to research cities is to go to their web site and read about them; especially read through their General Plan.

Litchfield Park is on the other side of the world from where I am in Gilbert, so since it's not my market area I don't study the area. I do know it's a small city of approximately 5,000 population near Luke AFB, and people who live there love it.

Here is the link to the city web site:

Litchfield Park, AZ - Economic Development

However, I am very familiar with the Southeast Valley cities of Gilbert, Chandler and Mesa, and the plans for growth in Gilbert and East Mesa.

Planning & Development Services - General Plan 2011

The population in Gilbert today is approximately 215,000 and it's expected to build out in 2030 with approximately 305,000 residents. Therefore, Gilbert is nowhere near saturated.

Current and Projected Gilbert Population
Attached is an article that was published yesterday about Gilbert and Mesa growth. I posted it in another thread, but I'll post it here for your convenience. It discusses all of the growth that is occurring in Gilbert today.

Southeast Valley housing market shows signs of hope

Here's a snippet from the article that deals with Gilbert growth
Quote:
"...In many ways, Orr said, the Southeast Valley reflects the overall market in Maricopa County. The main thing that sets it apart, he said, is the number of new homes being built, the result of ongoing availability of land, especially in Gilbert.

Brown noted that overall the Southeast Valley remains an attractive area for homebuyers for a combination of reasons -- good roads, a solid jobs base, consistent political climate and good neighborhoods..."
I suggest you do a lot of research on all the cities that interest you. From the general plans you'll know where things are to visit to get a feel for the city. Then take time and drive through them on your own. Since you lived in Goodyear once, you may fall in love with the Goodyear/Litchfield Park areas of the West Valley. Once you decide on a city, then contact a Realtor that works within that area who can help you find the right home, or a rental if you elect to rent first.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:37 PM

I didn't get the impression that "saturated" meant that all the available land was built up, but that there would be less opportunity there at present to open up yet another barbershop/hairstyling business, which seem to be on every intersection in the East Valley, and have it be successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area