U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:07 PM

675 posts, read 538,750 times

Advertisements

I just received a letter from the Maricopa County assessor's office with respect to the classification of my vacation home in Phoenix.

It sounds fairly innocuous - but I'm paranoid

The letter states that the "Jobs Bill" which was recently passed requires that all property be classified as a primary or non-primary residence.

Obviously, being a Canadian, this is a non-primary residence for me. Does this mean that they are thinking of increasing property tax for non-primary residences? Or is it the exact opposite - that primary-residences will be given a tax break? The latter is kind of what the letter implies and I'm fine with that - just don't want to see my property tax go through the roof...

Thoughts or knowledge on this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 06:22 PM

14,257 posts, read 17,865,246 times
This link gives you a little bit of info about the situation. Lawmakers have halted sending affidavit to homeowners This talks about two classifications, primary residence and investment (rental) property. Not sure where vacation homes fit in, as in whether there is a third classification.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:39 PM

17,613 posts, read 20,995,343 times
The so-called jobs bill reduced taxes for businesses and paid for the cut by increasing taxes on homeowners who own more than one home. In the past, homeowners who did not rent them out (second homes) could claim all their homes as primary residences. Under the so-called jobs bill, they can now only claim one and they must actually live in that as primary (more than 180 days per year). What this means is that your taxes on the SCHOOL portion of your bill will be going up by about 30% from now on. If you look on the tax bill there is a school rebate line. For you, it will be zero next year. This will likely cost you a few hundred dollars. The big corporations thank you. As for the jobs, independent analysts said it would have little measurable impact on employment.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:43 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,959,968 times
Sorry to hear that our alleged conservative leaders want to increase your taxes. Please note that I sympathize and do not support such a measure. Sadly, there is no such thing as a decrease in taxes. If they cut from one area they will increase in another.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Thanks everyone... and thanks for the link observer53...that would explain what I received in the mail. Guess my Canadian address was a tip off that this home isn't our primary residence

I'm going to give the assessors office a call on Monday to see exactly what this means in terms of taxation.

When I look at my tax bill I see a line for State Aid. In 2010 the owner of my house received close to $200 in credit (probably because they were in foreclosure?)
In 2011 (when we owned the property) the amount is $0... which makes sense.

I don't see a "school rebate" line Ponderosa. Is the State Aid line what you are referring to?

The bulk of our tax bill is already for schools / education.. close to $1000 of our $1400 tax bill is under this heading

We don't rent this property - it is strictly for personal use, so I'm hoping that they aren't going to increase our taxes even more, guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,997 times
Hi, TiredofYYCcold, I too am Canadian (YEG) with a vacation home in AZ and got the same letter from Maricopa County Assessor's office. It will be interesting to see if my friend who provided the AZ residence address to the Assessor's office gets the same letter.

It is explained in the letter that the state aid credit will be denied to those who do not list the house as a primary residence. Mine last year was $290. I can't understand why you didn't get the credit unless your residence is mistakenly classified as a rental.

Unfortunately, I fear that unless the budget situation in AZ turns around soon, once they have the list of non-primary residents (read that as "people who can't vote in AZ), someone will crunch the numbers and let the legislators know how much more they can raise from these non-residents by a "small" discriminatory tax increase for these outsiders. Of course, if it gets to that stage, all sorts of justifications will be proffered to explain why this form of discrimination is clearly acceptable.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:47 PM

3,872 posts, read 3,341,091 times
Was this note sent to your AZ address or your Canadian address? I have not gotten a note yet.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,477,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBiasini View Post
Unfortunately, I fear that unless the budget situation in AZ turns around soon, once they have the list of non-primary residents (read that as "people who can't vote in AZ), someone will crunch the numbers and let the legislators know how much more they can raise from these non-residents by a "small" discriminatory tax increase for these outsiders. Of course, if it gets to that stage, all sorts of justifications will be proffered to explain why this form of discrimination is clearly acceptable.
I hope they're smart enough to realize that more important than people who can vote in AZ is people who spend big $ in AZ, and that means snowbirds.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 PM

MN-Born-n-Raised - it was sent to my Canadian Address. I try not to have anything sent to our AZ address as the junkmail fills our mailbox and often everything gets returned to sender if we don't make it down in time to empty it (learned this the hard way when my bank cheques and credit card were returned to the bank).

I spoke with the assessor's office yesterday and, as GBiasini noted, it just means I'm not eligible for state aid credit... which I never had anyway. So nothing changes for me.

I think because a re-habber had purchased our house right before it went to auction - it may have been flagged as an "investment" property? Or possibly when we registered title and put the Canadian address on, they removed the state aid credit last year?

I don't mind not receiving the state aid credit, but I certainly hope that they don't view this as an opportunity to start gouging out of state owners for additional taxes

No point speculating - I'll fight that battle if the time should come

Old 10-25-2014, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 531 times
I just got the same notice. I own two homes in Arizona. I don't rent either of them out and both are always occupied by a family member unless it's vacation time. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what this means. I've tried to figure out which one to list as primary but we honestly spend equal time in both.

I actually took offense by the mailing I received. First - their definition of primary was lacking the 9 month clarification actually found in the statute. Second - they are asking for my daughters name and info as a resident. I guess I am paranoid but I feel like being foolish enough to invest in Arizona is making the leadership assume we are foolish enough to be robbed without knowing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area