Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,044,121 times

Advertisements

New WinCo opening 9/30/12 in the East Valley - 1235 S Power Rd. in Mesa. Anxious to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 02:15 PM

298 posts, read 747,219 times
How does Winco compare with ALDI stores in the Midwest?

ALDI's are smaller stores with low prices, a lot of their own in-house brands and off brands. At ALDI, they, like Winco, do not take credit cards; only cash and debit cards are accepted. You may rent a shopping cart for a small cash deposit, and you need to bring your own bag or container for bringing the groceries from the checkout lanes to your car.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:12 PM

13 posts, read 43,024 times
Stopped by the new Winco at Powers & US 60 today but after driving around five minutes to find a parking space -- there were no carts to be found. I was looking forward to checking it out but will have to wait awhile when the novelty wears off.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,044,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
How does Winco compare with ALDI stores in the Midwest?

ALDI's are smaller stores with low prices, a lot of their own in-house brands and off brands. At ALDI, they, like Winco, do not take credit cards; only cash and debit cards are accepted. You may rent a shopping cart for a small cash deposit, and you need to bring your own bag or container for bringing the groceries from the checkout lanes to your car.
Rent a shopping cart? That's a new one! I'm not as anxious now.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 AM

846 posts, read 1,393,452 times
Yea, we occasionally continue to go to the Bell/3rd Ave WinCo and the traffic has calmed down considerably since it originally opened. I have never seen renting a shopping cart... even at WinCo when they opened.

If it is close to you (the new store in Mesa) it is worth checking out. We don't go often to the one on Bell (maybe 1-2x a month) because the savings are made up in gas. But the savings in the bulk section in particular make it worth the trip.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:45 AM

63 posts, read 264,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
I think she was referring to Aldi's renting out shopping carts. I've been to the WinCo on 59th Ave and Bell Road several times. Couldn't get in for the first month because it was waaaaay too crowded and the lot was full. Now they are not that busy at all.

The do not rent the shopping carts, they have grocery bags (both plastic and paper) and yes, you do bag your groceries yourself. It is huge for sure, they have stuff I wouldn't think they would have (like really good salsas, hummus, and proscuitto in their deli case) and you can bulk buy staples. Their bakery is really small though, and not very good. Their prices are all over the place and they change them quite frequently. Their produce is really good too.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:37 PM

24,324 posts, read 25,835,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
Winco as far as I know don't rent carts, I think she was referring to Aldis. You pay a quarter to use the cart while shopping and it is returned to you when you return it to where you picked it up. Saves on people taking the carts home and abandoning them elsewhere.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:21 PM

53 posts, read 96,912 times
I currently live in Salem, Oregon, and there are 2 Winco's here in town, as well as 3 Wal-Marts, a bunch of Safeway's, 3 Fred Meyers, and 1 Albertson's.

I shop at Safeway and Fred Meyers for everyday stuff (milk, bread, lettuce...) because they are the closest to me and not as packed as Winco and Wal-Mart. Also, they are fairly inexpensive, especially if you nab the sale items (I believe Freddies is a little cheaper, overall).

When I do major grocery shopping ($100 or more), I usually end up alternating between Winco and Wal-Mart. I don't know why, except that when I am feeling sick of Wal-Mart's major crowds and unhelpful associates, I go to Winco, and when I am feeling sick of Winco's bag-your-own-groceries and long, long checkout lines, I go to Wal-Mart. LOL

I think that both Wal-Mart and Winco are very comparable in prices, here in Salem, anyhow. The one thing I don't like about Winco is that they don't carry many of my favorite brands, such as Best Foods/Hellmann's tartar sauce. Mmmm

I definitely love having both in the same city, though, because I like having a choice between the two, depending on how I feel that day.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 AM

63 posts, read 264,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie99 View Post

I think that both Wal-Mart and Winco are very comparable in prices, here in Salem, anyhow. The one thing I don't like about Winco is that they don't carry many of my favorite brands, such as Best Foods/Hellmann's tartar sauce. Mmmm
Hmmm...I'd ask the manager to order that tarter sauce for you. I know they carry Best Foods mayo at my WinCo (on sale this week for $2.98), so surely they could get their tarter sauce as well? The thing I like about WinCo is that it is part employee-owned through stock options. Plus their employees actually walk the store and come up to you and ask if they can help you find anything...haven't had that happen to me a a long time at other grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area