Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 8,224 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm looking at teaching positions in AZ - I'm a Michigan native and have found several jobs in the Glendale area that fit my qualifications and interests. While my moving to Phoenix is not 100% yet, it's looking like that is where I will most likely end up next year.

Anyway, I've spent all day looking at apartments in the Phoenix area and I'm getting pretty freaked out by the reviews of a lot of them. While a city in no way scares me, most of the reviews make it sound like either you're paying 1000+ for a one bedroom or your apartment and car is constantly getting broken into.

I have friends that live in the Gilbert area that I would not mind living close to. Does anyone have any recommendations for areas that are near Phoenix/Gilbert or Glendale that are relatively safe AND affordable on a teacher's salary? Thank you for any help you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
I would say if you can live further out, from the school area, you would probably be safer. That said, Gilbert is a nice place for the most part, but way too far to drive to Glendale. Any chances of a job in Gilbert SD? Or are you set on Glendale?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Don't put too much stock in the descriptions on apartment rating sites... they are full of rants by anonymous posters who have an axe to grind over some small issue (which in some cases originated with their own conduct) and take it out on the apt complex through those sites.

If you are working in Glendale, you do NOT want to live in Gilbert.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:38 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
There are lovely apartments in Glendale. Stick close to where you'll be working. Properties managed by Mark-Taylor, Equity, and Camden always receive good press. Apartment rating sites notwithstanding - observer53 is right on target with that caution.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:05 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Don't put too much stock in the descriptions on apartment rating sites... they are full of rants by anonymous posters who have an axe to grind over some small issue (which in some cases originated with their own conduct) and take it out on the apt complex through those sites.

If you are working in Glendale, you do NOT want to live in Gilbert.
I disagree. Most apartments in Phoenix are, in fact, dumpy. There are very few apartment complexes in the valley worth living in. I am not talking places where you spend thousands either. I agree with many of the other on staying closer then Gilbert.

I have a huge opinion on the education system here, from professional and personal perspective, but i'll just stay

Old 04-04-2012, 02:39 PM

Thank you so much for the input!! I figured a lot of those sites were full of people with one to two bad experiences, but since I am apartment hunting from so far away (for now) I wanted some idea of what to expect out of the apartment market.

In regards to the ed system in AZ, at least they're hiring. In Michigan, for the subject area I am certified to teach, jobs get upwards of 400 applicants and there are only a few openings in the state each year.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:43 PM

69 posts, read 156,417 times
MovingMichigander, just wanted to make sure you were aware of the big teacher job fair in Glendale around the middle of May. Districts statewide will be there. Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 04-04-2012 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: new members may not post links

Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 PM

40 posts, read 82,201 times
Hi

I am also a teacher moving to Phoenix in a couple months for a job. Signed a contract a month and a half ago. Had a wonderful time in Phoenix for spring break. I spent a week looking at apartments around Peoria, Glendale, and Avondale. The majority of the apartments that I saw were nice and beautiful. Some look like a resort. Alot were in the price range of $600-700 a month. Nothing near $1000. Majority were gated and secured. Then I look at the reviews and I am questioning it. I did go into at least 2 apartments where I walked out and put the information in the garbage bag in my rental car.

thanks

Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 PM

I think that's the scariest part of moving across the country - you can have some idea of what things are like (tours and such) but there is still a lot of unknowns. Are you looking at studios or one bedrooms?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:43 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,728 times
I wonder how many people that like their apt. bother to go post a positive review? I never loved any apt. It was always something temporary, to get to the next step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area