Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM

69 posts, read 156,340 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Phoenix area soon. We are flexible because of work on where we live and are considering Vistancia. I know it's not terribly close to Phoenix, but we're fine with that. Our kids are older and will not be with us when we move. For anyone familiar with the area, could you tell me

1. What do you like about it?
2. What don't you like?
3. Proximity to shopping (both grocery and other).
4. How is non-heavy commute time to Phoenix? We will not be working in Phoenix, but would maybe go into town on a weekend.
5. Are there any sports bars, wine bars in the area?
6. What other nightlife activities are nearby, i.e. movies especially at places like iPic or Studio Grille.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 10,000 times
I will start with mine. There is search tool in this forum that can provide better views/info since we just moved here recently. Apart from the "general" Vistancia ("village"), there is also the age-restricted Trilogy (fastest growing) and an exclusive Blackstone Country Club.

Nice, quiet and safe neighborhood (can't quantify it)
Excellent elementary schools (2)
Desert landscaping (some just hate it but we love it),
Lots of nature walk (Discovery Trail)
HOA is not that bad with lots of fun activities and events for children and adults, Movie night, Western festival, car shows, Wine festival, community garage sales, Astronomy Night. EGGSTRAVAGANZA etc, even with clubs and classes (Jazz Classes, Hip Hop, Zumba, Water Aerobics, Ballroom Dancing...)
With the 303 that opened recently, quicker access to Flagstaff/Sedona etc, (and not a bad access to LA/San Diego).
Quiet and "low light" at night - we enjoy seeing the stars and pretty quiet except for those noisy crickets.
Nice choice of floor plans, not many foreclosures and no sense of abandoned houses that we can "see" (But new constructions are quiet except for Trilogy - it is very active)

2. What don't you like?
Not really hate but things to consider
Way in the far North West (bad for work in Phoenix etc, not so convenient for shopping),
Quiet and quite isolated (we like it that way)
Not much of a nightlife.
Less rain here compare to the north east and south east (and we usually "miss" the excitement of dust storm)
No much greenery here
Sometimes you can hear the F16 but non-issue for us.
Some wildlife (coyotes, rabbits, occasional Javelina) - again non-issue for us. Just be aware and live responsibly with them.

There is a Safeway in the community
Then 5-10 mins drive to the Lake Pleasant Towne Center with Best Buy, Kohl's, Target, Ross, Lowe's, Home Depot
Basha, Frys, Albertson, Walmart are probably 15 mins away.
20 mins drive to the bigger Arrowhead Towne Center (Dillard’s,JCPenney,Macy’s,Sears, etc
with Costco and Sam's club nearby).
With 303 now probably 30 mins (?) to Anthem Factory Outlet

4. How is non-heavy commute time to Phoenix? We will not be working in Phoenix, but would maybe go into town on a weekend.
Long drive probably 50 mins and more (depending on Phoenix "downtown" location)

The Blu Agave at the Vistancia Market Place
The Tasting Room at the Vistancia Market Place
The Verde Grill at Trilogy
Less than 10 minutes
Chili's Bar & Grill
Lakeside Bar & Grill
For more fun
At Arrowhead Center, lots of bar and grill with the Peoria Stadium nearby even with Polar Ice rink.

6. What other nightlife activities are nearby, i.e. movies especially at places like iPic or Studio Grille.
Not much of a nightlife here.
Have to go to Arrowhead Towne Center - AMC Theatres (AMC Arrowhead 14)

Last edited by justliving; 04-05-2012 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 04-05-2012, 01:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
I second the suggestion to use the "search" function at the top of the forum page. Click on advanced search, type in Vistancia as a keyword, and click on Phoenix forum in the forum list. You should find a lot of reading material!

Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegirl92 View Post
There are both an iPic and a Studio Grille about 45min away in Scottsdale. Not sure if there is one closer.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:10 PM

69 posts, read 156,340 times
Thanks for the great info justliving. I did use the search tool, but some of the info was a little dated and I figured there was likely new developments in the area. That's the only reason I asked. I appreciate those of you that have taken the time to respond!

Old 04-05-2012, 02:12 PM

203 posts, read 491,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
There are both an iPic and a Studio Grille about 45min away in Scottsdale. Not sure if there is one closer.

That may be a stretch unless you're driving at midnight and fast.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:43 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegirl92 View Post
My husband and I are moving to the Phoenix area soon. We are flexible because of work on where we live and are considering Vistancia. I know it's not terribly close to Phoenix, but we're fine with that. Our kids are older and will not be with us when we move. For anyone familiar with the area, could you tell me

2. What don't you like?

Thanks!
We lived in Vistancia for 6 years and loved it very much. We still own the home and now rent it out to young families. I loved the walking trails leading you through the communtity and all the way down to the Safeway center. There is a wine bar there and it is very nice. More and more shops are starting to come into the center which had slowed to a crawl after the crash in the economy. A short ride down Vistancia blvd (5 miles) gets you big box shopping with a Target super store, a Home Depot, Lowes, numerous places to eat. When we moved in this was a 4 way stop sign and dirt fields. There is a very nice sports bar in this center called Lakeside Bar and Grill. Up at the Vistancia Village you will find the Blue Agave which is an upscale eatery there and across the road at the Trilogy golf course they have the Grill which is overlooking the golf course and has great food. Commute time depends on what time you are on the freeways. We have made it back from the airport in 48 min without traffic and at times 1.20 in bad traffic.
I really can not think of many things I did not like about Vistancia other than we are getting older, our work slowed down considerably and we felt it was time to downsize, so we moved. Best of luck in your hunt for a home there. Great time to buy right now.

I just saw the very complete list mentioned above, lol. So just ditto that.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM

19 posts, read 71,419 times
I grew up in Peoria for 23 years. Vistancia is new, as you know. It is VERY far north. If you like being that far from a hospital in case something were to happen and probably an hour from Phoenix, then go for it.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steenskees View Post
I grew up in Peoria for 23 years. Vistancia is new, as you know. It is VERY far north. If you like being that far from a hospital in case something were to happen and probably an hour from Phoenix, then go for it.
How long ago did you live here? While in the northern portion of the valley, it's by no means "far from a hospital." Sun City West is less than 15 miles from there, and they have excellent medical facilities.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 PM

19 posts, read 71,419 times
Lived there 23 years and moved out 10 months ago. Yes, 30 minutes to Del Webb. It depends on how comfortable you are in terms of emergencies. I'm a RN so I just like to be a little closer to a hospital. I also would never call Del Webb "excellent". Worked there and Boswell as well. That is all opinion based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area