Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM

203 posts, read 749,965 times

Advertisements

Hi,

A friend and I are going down to Phx Wednesday to look at apts for her. I know generally which areas to avoid, but not specifically.

When I say "central Phx" I don't mean downtown, I mean something like north of Northern (Cactus, Greenway, Bell, etc.) and between 75th Ave to 55th St., or something like that.

Her price range is about $600-$700, and she would like a 2bdrm if possible.

I know there are a couple decent places on Bell near Central, and we have some others picked out to view.

If anyone could provide some names of decent places in decent areas, it would be appreciated. Some that we have chosen to see so far are: Talus Ranch, Bell Cove, Deer Creek Village, Paradise Falls.

Also, how is the area around Baseline and 38th St? There's a place called "Sterling Point" that looks nice and is near a big golf course. Is it in a safe area?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
The area you're describing is NW,North,and NE Phoenix. Between Cactus and Bell as far out as 75th Ave. isn't Phoenix. Glendale or Peoria. I would stay in the streets instead of the avenues if I were you. It's nicer. From Central to 55th St. in North Phoenix is a nice area with nice mountain views. I don't know anything about apts. up there right now. Look for small complexes, less BS to deal with.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
The area you're describing is NW,North,and NE Phoenix. Between Cactus and Bell as far out as 75th Ave. isn't Phoenix. Glendale or Peoria. I would stay in the streets instead of the avenues if I were you. It's nicer. From Central to 55th St. in North Phoenix is a nice area with nice mountain views. I don't know anything about apts. up there right now. Look for small complexes, less BS to deal with.
Thanks for that. Yes, I tend to call most of the area "Phx," even when it's another suburb.

We have about a half dozen places picked out to view so far, and will have a dozen or more by Wednesday.

Most are near Greenway, Thunderbird, Bell, etc.

If anyone can give a heads up for the area around the intersection of Thunderbird, Cave Creek and 19th st, it will be appreciated.

Thanks again for your input, cacto.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:20 PM

T-bird and Cave Creek don't intersect, but Cave Creek and roughly around that area is cool neighborhood, a little blue collar and some nice mountains all around. If you meant 19th ave. instead of street it's crummy. 19th ave. just about everywhere north and south is crime and crappy.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
T-bird and Cave Creek don't intersect, but Cave Creek and roughly around that area is cool neighborhood, a little blue collar and some nice mountains all around. If you meant 19th ave. instead of street it's crummy. 19th ave. just about everywhere north and south is crime and crappy.
Actually, Cave Creek does intersect with T-bird and Cactus. Headed northbound on Cave Creek, the intersection becomes Cactus if you turn east, and T-bird if you turn west as it winds around North Mountain. I think that's the area you're thinking of.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
Im up by bell and central, and I love it. Theres a ton of stuff within walking distance, the 3 highways are within 5 minutes all day, and were right on the major trans lines. Ill tell you, anywhere around where you described, there are nice areas and within 5 minutes theres not so nice areas, but theres really nothing id say make sure you stay away from. For your price range, you can get a 2bd anywhere but the nicest of "luxury" apts. I have a 1bd 1st floor 440sq ft for 300 a month. Crimes not bad here, but theft is always a problem; if I could suggest look for a gated community, a place with a garage, or even a townhome.. Heck for $700 a month you can find a 2bd house if you wanted.
Find something you want to be near, or something you want your complex to have. Not sure if youve heard yet, but some places around here will have free electric.. (for the 3-4 really hot months coming up) expect your electric bill to be easily over $100 a month. + roughtly $40-$50 a month for water.
I recently moved to the area, and checked out a ton of places.. I can tell you a few that usually have hardwood floors available, or whos got that fireplace you may use twice a year, or that really nice 24 hour gym on site. If you have some specifics I might be able to save you some time...?????..

Hope this is ok, and im NOT affiliated, but a couple of the nicer ones right there at bell and central..
This first one is an absolutely huge complex.
Apartments Phoenix AZ | Apartments in Phoenix AZ | Phoenix Apartments for Rent - Vaseo Apartment Homes
This other one is literally bell and central.
Phoenix Luxury Apartments | Park On Bell | Apartments near Phoenix, Arizona

Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 PM

Thank you all! Appreciate the help.

Adriver, we have Vaseo on our list, also one called, "La Palma." The other place is a little over her budget though.

Yes, a friend lived near Bell and Central and liked it and felt safe (she's 80.) So we're going to check it out thoroughly.

Right now she seems partial to one called, Paradise Falls on 32nd Street north of Greenway, so we'll be checking out that one also.

Can anyone say if East Baseline (approx. 22nd to 44th Street) is a good or bad area? There are some nice looking apts there, but I don't know the area.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Roller View Post
Right now she seems partial to one called, Paradise Falls on 32nd Street north of Greenway, so we'll be checking out that one also.
I don't know anything about the complex, but the location is in the Paradise Valley area of NE Phoenix. Most of that area is pretty decent & middle class, but the 32nd Street/Greenway area tends to be not so nice. It's in a district called Greenway Square, which is kind of shady. I don't recommend that particular area ... tends to have a higher crime rate than most other parts of NE Phoenix.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:10 PM

14 posts, read 24,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I don't know anything about the complex, but the location is in the Paradise Valley area of NE Phoenix. Most of that area is pretty decent & middle class, but the 32nd Street/Greenway area tends to be not so nice. It's in a district called Greenway Square, which is kind of shady. I don't recommend that particular area ... tends to have a higher crime rate than most other parts of NE Phoenix.
Right. And anything in PV that ISN'T crummy/shady is likely to be way out of the price range listed in this topic.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Actually, Cave Creek does intersect with T-bird and Cactus. Headed northbound on Cave Creek, the intersection becomes Cactus if you turn east, and T-bird if you turn west as it winds around North Mountain. I think that's the area you're thinking of.
True, I was never sure what to call that hilly stretch between T-bird and Cave Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area