Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times

Advertisements

So, if you've read my other two threads you may remember (cause I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats wondering what's up with that JohnP guy! ) that I was in an on-again off-again situation with my employer about transferring me to our Scottsdale office.

Well, the suspense is over! Congratulations Arizona, there are 5 new residents headed your way!

Seriously (sort of) though, the official official word went out today that I am now officially assigned to the Scottsdale office. Moving date will hopefully be the end of June, just in time for the mild summers of your area.

I first visited Arizona in the early 80s and fell in love with the state. Went on a road trip with a high school buddy who was assigned to Ft Huachuca. Drove across the US from NJ. Visited Sierra Vista, Nogales (even ate at La Caverna), Tucson, Tombstone, the Painted Desert and the Grand Canyon. Got my first ever speeding ticket on the highway to Tucson (a funny story for another time). On two subsequent visits I also saw the Canyon (again), Monument Valley, stood on a corner in Winslow (just had to do that) and almost ran out of gas in the Navajo reservation. Wanted like anything to live in AZ and get off the east coast. Then life happened, marriage (#1), kids, jobs, etc and the dream faded away...

Started a new job in Philly a few months ago. There were openings for the same position I filled in Chicago and Scottsdale that they've had a hard time filling. My boss asked if I'd like to relo to Chicago. I said "No, but I will go to Scottsdale..." That started the ball rolling and suddenly, literally almost overnight, the dream was alive again! My current wife is as thrilled as I am - she hates cold weather. She's never been to Arizona. So far, she's buying the "but its a dry heat" line. She is freaked out over the scorpions no matter how much I tell her to read all the threads here. I can't wait to show her and our kids (2,3, and 16) the Canyon.

So now we're excited...a little nervous...a bit bittersweet over family we'll be leaving behind, especially our adult children and my new grandson (no wisecracks...I'm a young grandpa!). We're telling them they'll have a free vacation spot. But the planning is in full swing...finding a house...selling as much stuff as we can...how to move...how to ship our cars...will we drive out or fly ....etc...etc...etc...

No questions this time. Just sharing the story with our neighbors-to-be!

Stay tuned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:23 PM

267 posts, read 692,576 times
Welcome and congratulations! My son (age 22) loves the Grand Canyon and is friends with a bunch of Canyoneers and outdoorsy types.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 PM

681 posts, read 1,560,033 times
Congratulations! I'm jealous... wish I could move there full-time myself.

Look for a house in a low scorpion area... I think there are many. Hint... stay away from areas that are very recently carved out of the desert or that used to be citrus plantations. Not fool proof, but will certainly cut down on the odds

Not that I'm there full time, but I have yet to see a single scorpion. Think our neighbourhood is relatively scorpion-less and I'm ok with that.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
keep us updated and ask questions.....if possible, come out for a few days before the move with your wife to look around and start getting oriented....remember we have no daylight savings time (in this part of Az) and that May and June are hot and dry and July and August are very humid (for us) and sometimes have great storms (dramatic).....very spread out town with lots of sprawl....low density compared to out east....

remember we have weird architecture, ugly plants, yuppie rednecks who try to act like it's New Jersey, dirt for front yards, people who park halfway on the sidewalks, and "Gila Monsters Meet You At The Airport" (get this for your kids!!!)

Gila Monsters Meet you at the Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM

6 posts, read 9,897 times
Just wanted to wish you luck! My husband and I are also moving out end of June (but from the other side of the country - California). I'm still somewhat on the same page as your wife about those scorpions (even though I know I shouldn't be). I figure when I'm out there and don't see them, then I can relax .

Congrats on your revisited dream!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Welcome to the Valley of the Sun! Let us know what area you are looking at. Scottsdale is nice as are many other areas out here.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 AM

5 posts, read 9,830 times
I have lived here my entire life and the only time I've even seen a scorpian was when I was about 14 at North Mountain Park. Yes, they are here, so don't move into a desert area, as in cacti, rock yards or mountains. Look for neighborhoods with lots of green grass and trees, no desert landscapes and you should be good on scorpians. They love heat and desert, just remember that. So do rattlesnakes which hide out on mountains, under rocks etc. They also could be found in the desert landscapes but rarely in the city dwellings. I have been in humidity and believe me, the desert heat is a lot better than humidity. I could only withstand 5 min. in SC in heat. If you find shade it's not so bad. WELCOME TO AZ AND HOPE YOU LIKE IT!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:26 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
keep us updated and ask questions.....if possible, come out for a few days before the move with your wife to look around and start getting oriented....remember we have no daylight savings time (in this part of Az) and that May and June are hot and dry and July and August are very humid (for us) and sometimes have great storms (dramatic).....very spread out town with lots of sprawl....low density compared to out east....

remember we have weird architecture, ugly plants, yuppie rednecks who try to act like it's New Jersey, dirt for front yards, people who park halfway on the sidewalks, and "Gila Monsters Meet You At The Airport" (get this for your kids!!!)

Gila Monsters Meet you at the Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was just out there two weeks ago. And don't forget the Scottsdale rednecks!!! But what I really want to see are those roadrunners and coyotes that communicate by holding up little signs....

Old 04-18-2012, 06:08 AM

213 posts, read 376,817 times
The husband and I just moved out here from the East coast in December. He was also transfered here. I love, love, love it here!!!

We live in Scottsdale and haven't seen any scorpions yet but have had three MONSTER cockroaches in our apartment. Ewwwwwww!!!

Next month we'll be moving up near the McDowell mountains. I suspect we'll be trading in the cockroaches for the scorpions.

Too me, it's worth it. I'd rather have disgusting bugs than snow!! We're from Syracuse and I'd NEVER go back!!

Sue

Old 04-18-2012, 09:12 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Good for you on your move! Moving where you yearn to live is a great thing.

No one needs to worry about scorpions. In my 30 odd years of living in PHX I've never seen one in town or have known anyone who's been stung. They're a very infrequent insect who try very hard not to be found. They spend most of their time under a rock somewhere in the desert. They can not thrive in the city.

The most important thing about your move, in my opinion, is getting your family here right when the heat ends, so they have lovely weather for their first 6 months here. People in the Northeast look forward to summer all year and coming here and realizing their cooped up inside all summer can be a big let down. They just have to remember that our fall, winter, and spring are like a long Northeast summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area