Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 02:07 PM

24,451 posts, read 25,987,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post

A coyote can't get over a 6 ft concrete wall but could possibly dig under it but I bet you would be hard pressed to find someone that could tell you about a coyote spending the time or energy to dig under a block wall. They would go for an easier meal then go through all that.
Oh yes they can. This was in Scottsdale.

Coyote in Scottsdale - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 02:17 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Very interesting, I stand corrected. However, that wall is no where near as tall as the block walls in my neighborhood. Regardless, had no idea they could/would jump a wall like that.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:47 PM

73 posts, read 152,577 times
Quote:
Oh wow. And that looked like it was in the middle of the day, too... for some reason I was thinking they only hunt at night?

Old 04-20-2012, 04:10 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,980 times
I think that coyote looked like he felt backed into going up the wall. I bet there are more small dogs that fall prey to owls and hawks inside walled yards. Not to scare the O/P. Like scorpions, it's not that bad a risk. Yes, if you live near undeveloped land and let your dog roam free, then coyotes are going to be something you should think about.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,822,364 times
Quote:
The owl was smaller than the dog so I don't know what it planned on doing...
Raptors kill prey much larger than themselves all the time. They'll gorge themselves on the spot instead of carrying it away.

Here's a harris hawk taking down a rabbit much larger and heavier than itself.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:55 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,050 times
Quote:
However, you have nothing to worry about as coyotes won't be able to get into your block wall protected yard and they don't approach you when out and about, they take off running as you approach. Coyotes are typically not aggressive animals and will avoid you at all cost.

We have a Miniature Schnauzer and the only thing that has ever bothered her was an owl swooped down at her one night while we were out walking. I seen the owl flying towards her and ran over to her and the owl turned about six inches above her back. The owl was smaller than the dog so I don't know what it planned on doing but it was going to try and maybe the dog looked bigger the closer it got and thought better of it.
Quote:

A coyote can't get over a 6 ft concrete wall but could possibly dig under it but I bet you would be hard pressed to find someone that could tell you about a coyote spending the time or energy to dig under a block wall. They would go for an easier meal then go through all that.

Of course your little dog may be in danger if you let it out of your yard off leash or unattended but there is little to worry about a dog in your yard, in this neighborhood, if the yard is fenced in and you have made sure the dog can't dig out (which will make it so a coyote can't dig in). Normally the only vulnerable spot in AZ yards is under the gate between the gate and gravel. I poured a concrete sidewalk under my gate so my dog can't dig out and nothing can dig in. it would take a lot of work for something to dig in or out under the actual block wall.
Quote:

Coyote in Scottsdale - YouTube
GREAT video - thanks!
I live in the middle of North Phoenix. We are about 3 miles from open land in any direction. Last year my neighbor told me one morning that he came outside and saw "the mangiest dang dog drinking out of his swimming pool." It took a second before he realized it was a coyote. All of us are completely surrounded by 6 foot block walls, and we have very well constructed tight iron and wood gates.

So yes - they can most assuredly jump all manner of walls. And those were probably 6 foot walls in the video. That's the standard wall height in the entire valley. Hoping this link works. It's a great resource for you
http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/urban_coyote.shtml

If it doesn't work, go to google and look up Arizona Game and Fish, coyotes

Yes - you need to always go outside with your little dogs around here. For that reason we never had a dog door for our little tykes. I elected to keep them in a secure part of the house with doggie pads when I went out rather than risking them playing outside unsupervised.

I went out one morning and saw this... it's a Harris Hawk with one of those B52 Pigeons in it's talons. The Pigeons aren't much smaller than my little Chihuahua... it was a sobering reminder. Not long after I heard that a woman down the block had her Yorkie snatched by a Great Horned Owl.

So - can your dogs be at risk if you aren't vigilant? Yes. Does it happen every day in Arizona? No. Can it happen anywhere in the Valley? Yes. And when water or prey is scarce, they are more likely to come into town.

One thing you need to understand about Coyotes: the "call" to attract a coyote sounds an awful lot like a small dog in distress. So if your little dogs whine or cry during the day and you've left them outside alone, you are possibly attracting either a coyote or a raptor. So keep'em inside. Especially in the hot summer months! It's just a good idea anyway!
Attached Thumbnails
Coyotes in Goodyear?-harris-hawk-yard.jpg  

Old 04-20-2012, 07:09 PM

73 posts, read 152,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post

Hoping this link works. It's a great resource for you
Living With Coyotes

If it doesn't work, go to google and look up Arizona Game and Fish, coyotes

Yes - you need to always go outside with your little dogs around here. For that reason we never had a dog door for our little tykes. I elected to keep them in a secure part of the house with doggie pads when I went out rather than risking them playing outside unsupervised.

I went out one morning and saw this... it's a Harris Hawk with one of those B52 Pigeons in it's talons. The Pigeons aren't much smaller than my little Chihuahua... it was a sobering reminder. Not long after I heard that a woman down the block had her Yorkie snatched by a Great Horned Owl.

So - can your dogs be at risk if you aren't vigilant? Yes. Does it happen every day in Arizona? No. Can it happen anywhere in the Valley? Yes. And when water or prey is scarce, they are more likely to come into town.

One thing you need to understand about Coyotes: the "call" to attract a coyote sounds an awful lot like a small dog in distress. So if your little dogs whine or cry during the day and you've left them outside alone, you are possibly attracting either a coyote or a raptor. So keep'em inside. Especially in the hot summer months! It's just a good idea anyway!
Thanks! I have bookmarked that link. I think my dogs are probably big enough that I don't need to worry about hawks or owls messing with them- they are much larger than chihuahuas or typical mini schnauzers since they are mixes. And leaving them outside when we are not home is just something that does not happen in our home-- they are ornery and like to dig holes (and get bored easily), so we have always crated them or had them confined to a specific area of the house when we leave. I will be working from home most of the time, so it isn't really an issue. I will definitely be with them whenever they are out in our yard, though, after reading all of this!

Someone mentioned birdfeeders... I was planning on hanging birdfeeders and birdhouses around my yard and patio, is that a bad idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Coyotes in Goodyear?-2010-10-10-15.29.05.jpg  

Old 04-20-2012, 07:13 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrscott View Post
Thanks! I have bookmarked that link. I think my dogs are probably big enough that I don't need to worry about hawks or owls messing with them- they are much larger than chihuahuas or typical mini schnauzers since they are mixes. And leaving them outside when we are not home is just something that does not happen in our home-- they are ornery and like to dig holes (and get bored easily), so we have always crated them or had them confined to a specific area of the house when we leave. I will be working from home most of the time, so it isn't really an issue. I will definitely be with them whenever they are out in our yard, though, after reading all of this!

Someone mentioned birdfeeders... I was planning on hanging birdfeeders and birdhouses around my yard and patio, is that a bad idea?
Well - the birdfeeders DO attract those honkin' big gray pigeons, which attract raptors, which attract coyotes. That being said, I've seen the owls and raptors, but that coyote missed my yard as far as i know. I'm a bird lover so I have bird feeders out. One thing I do, though, is let them stay empty from time to time so the birds don't get used to them.

We aren't telling you not to live your life. If you love birdfeeders, go for it. Just be mindful. One thing we dog owners sometimes do is let our babies outside in the morning without looking first. We're just saying in AZ that may not be a good plan!!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,980 times
I live on the edge of nowhere and I've never once worried. But my dogs are 80 lbs. each.

Your's are cutie patooties, jess.

I've never heard of issues from bird feeders.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,822,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I went out one morning and saw this... it's a Harris Hawk
Actually, that's either a coopers hawk, or it's smaller cousin, the sharp shinned hawk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area