Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:37 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,118,225 times

Advertisements

I love the look of our freeways. Compare those shots above to say I-17 just north of 10, where you can see the ugly signs and buildings along the freeway. CA, with all its beauty, has a lot of old, ugly freeway like that. Now they build the newer ones here sunken down so you can't see the commercial/industrial buildings that line it, and so the noise is contained better. I think it makes for a less stressful commute. Like passing through a garden, not a back alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:23 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,627,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I love the look of our freeways. Compare those shots above to say I-17 just north of 10, where you can see the ugly signs and buildings along the freeway. CA, with all its beauty, has a lot of old, ugly freeway like that. Now they build the newer ones here sunken down so you can't see the commercial/industrial buildings that line it, and so the noise is contained better. I think it makes for a less stressful commute. Like passing through a garden, not a back alley.
Second this, our freeways are quite unique to most cities I've been. We have beautiful rock and designs while so many other places have soulless concrete covered in graffiti.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,477,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWestIsTheBest View Post
This is a typical, superior Scottsdale attitude.

The truth is Metro Phoenix being a young metropolis has numerous areas that are clean, new and well maintained. You could drop any of these areas into Snottsdale and they would be indistinguishable or even nicer. You do have to be a bigger sucker to buy in Scottsdale as you will pay a premium to live there. If you are prissy, a princess who needs to sleep on 16 pillows, and REALLY REALLY WHITE you will accept this without even thinking.

I lived in Scottsdale in 1989-1990. At the time the city had about half the population it has today. But the most shocking change is in the attitude and feel of the city. The last three times I've been there I have witnessed nasty verbal confrontations. One within seconds of stepping out of my car at Scottsdale Fashion Square.

It really is SNottsdale
Most of this is pretty true, some of it is a bit overstated.

There is a higher price for living in Scottsdale, you can get just as nice and just as new in other parts of the Phoenix metro for much lower prices.

Scottsdale tends to have a general snootiness about it, I know it's not all that way but it has been dubbed Arizona's south beach for a good reason.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 PM

701 posts, read 1,420,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Most of this is pretty true, some of it is a bit overstated.
I know it's not all that way but it has been dubbed Arizona's south beach for a good reason.
It's been dubbed Arizona's south beach because of,all of the nightlife in downtown Scottsdale, typically frequented by young people who live in other parts of the valley. In New York they'd be referred to as the bridge and tunnel crowd.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
It's been dubbed Arizona's south beach because of,all of the nightlife in downtown Scottsdale, typically frequented by young people who live in other parts of the valley.
Really? I so rarely head there. It seems like it's a handful of bars, like any other downtown area. I would think it'd get the South Beach comparison from the upscale shops, resort feel and general richie rich attitudes.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:33 PM

639 posts, read 825,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
It's been dubbed Arizona's south beach because of,all of the nightlife in downtown Scottsdale, typically frequented by young people who live in other parts of the valley. In New York they'd be referred to as the bridge and tunnel crowd.
thats a bit of an exagerration. But I like the Scottsdale scene, its not all douchy spiked hair guys with Ed Hardy/Affliction tees either like some people think. Some places are like that, but there's old school places like Coach House, Rusty Spur,etc

Old 04-28-2012, 12:14 PM

15,469 posts, read 15,433,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
being surrounded by beauty affects ones attitude towards life in a positive way. where do you live? I don't see how you can place any negativity on the fact that a city is well kempt and attractive to look at. scottsdale is a beautiful place just about wherever you go and i just don't think appreciating beauty is a superficial pursuit.
I completely agree that it's nice to be surrounded by beauty. Does that mean you haven't noticed all the god-awful architecture, the cookie-cutter housing, the sterile malls?

Old 04-28-2012, 12:42 PM

What's god-awful about the architecture? Is it the southwestern stuff you don't like? There are plenty of neighborhoods of custom homes, for those that don't like 'cookie cutter'. A lot do, hence their popularity.

I like my malls sterile.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM

8,020 posts, read 12,165,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
thats a bit of an exagerration. But I like the Scottsdale scene, its not all douchy spiked hair guys with Ed Hardy/Affliction tees either like some people think. Some places are like that, but there's old school places like Coach House, Rusty Spur,etc
I do too, even though some shops & eateries are a little overpriced. But it's that way for a good reason. There's nothing wrong with attracting the ones who want to spend money and have a good time. I'm not a huge spender on nightlife ... but if some people have the dough to spend on things like that, more power to them. The more people shop, eat out, and drink, the more the economy is helped.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:43 PM

223 posts, read 593,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I completely agree that it's nice to be surrounded by beauty. Does that mean you haven't noticed all the god-awful architecture, the cookie-cutter housing, the sterile malls?
I actually love the architecture ... what aspect of the architecture don't you like? I don't particularly care for 'Scottsdale Quarter' (as an example), as it is out of character. I love the dominant Mediterranean / Spanish / Mexican style, and I absolutely adore the fact that it's all 'variations on beige'! I can't explain why exactly, but the beige fades into the background and gives emphasis to the desert landscaping all around. I don't like a lot of the non-descript cookie-cutter architecture that seems to be 10-20 years old, but the newer stuff in north Scottsdale is great - Adobe and Mediterranean. I'd love to see a lot more Adobe myself.

I lived in London for 6 years, and San Francisco for 11; I'm comfortable with history and with diversity ... but I'm appreciating Scottsdale for its unique qualities! Actually, come to mention it, if you go to the older villages in, say, Andalusia (southern Spain), or Tuscany (Italy), you'll notice that every building follows the same style, and that does have an appeal of its own. I'm not suggesting Scottsdale is on a par with such places (it isn't by any means!), but a repetitive style is not without precedence.
Andalusia example:
Spain: typical "white" Andalucian village | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Tuscany example:
Siena Attractions: Sienna Travel Guide – Tuscany, Italy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area